• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Would You Haul it ??

muzy

LOL, still laughing when I look at that.
But sereously if I seen that in person while I was driving, would have scared the crap out of me. muzy

E Smith

I never haul anything with chains crisscrossed on a flatbed trailer! I would hook the chains underneath it somehow. Just seems dangerous and has a risk of rolling anytime it feels like it! Oh well, to each his own...

Last edited by a moderator:

amtronic

On the original post with the forklift, it's all about the CG. If it's high, you have a tipping motion to control. If it's low, you have to address the sliding motion, not it tipping. To me, more chains, lower holes to near side. That covers both bases. The nearside ones on the forklift don't really count since that is a loose joint between the fork and the main body.

Last edited:

phk_xb

Hey, I have learned alot from this site! I posted some pics of my load and would like some feedback on how its chained down. I never actually towed it yet as I am waiting to get my Condition 15, which allows me to haul a trailer weighing more than 4500 kg. I will be towing it with an 2004 F-250, 6.0L.

Attachments

• IMG_0229-400.jpg
    IMG_0229-400.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,970
  • IMG_0232-400.jpg
    IMG_0232-400.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,969
  • IMG_0230-400.jpg
    IMG_0230-400.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,968
  • IMG_0231-400.jpg
    IMG_0231-400.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,989

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
If the outside of the machine is about 10" inside the edge of the deck I would chain machine to the same side , any thing wider I would cross chain . This might be a bit out there but I think you and other road users are safer to have the load secured so it will hold under severe conditions but not so that it will take the whole unit with it , if you get to the stage where the whole unit is going to roll over . Are you better to have to load , say 20 ton ( 44000 lbs) , or have the whole unit , say 40 ton ( 88000 lbs ) rolling down the road ? What do you think ? We have to chain loads on here so that if King Kong called grabbed the truck and shook it upside down nothing would come off ! Isn't the load better off down the bank than the whole thing with the driver in there as well ???? Your comments would be good to hear .

Grader4me

Can anyone here provide me with a link saying that securement chains have to be crossed? I know here in New Brunswick they don't have to be. I'm just curious as to what the regulations pretaining to this is in other countries. I was just discussing this with a CVE officer is how I got my information.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
The chains don't have to be crossed here . I cross them on wide loads for my own peace of mind . We have to have 2 ton of rated chain strenght to 1 ton of load

Grader4me

If the outside of the machine is about 10" inside the edge of the deck I would chain machine to the same side , any thing wider I would cross chain . This might be a bit out there but I think you and other road users are safer to have the load secured so it will hold under severe conditions but not so that it will take the whole unit with it , if you get to the stage where the whole unit is going to roll over . Are you better to have to load , say 20 ton ( 44000 lbs) , or have the whole unit , say 40 ton ( 88000 lbs ) rolling down the road ? What do you think ? We have to chain loads on here so that if King Kong called grabbed the truck and shook it upside down nothing would come off ! Isn't the load better off down the bank than the whole thing with the driver in there as well ???? Your comments would be good to hear .

That would be a hard call to make Haddy. At what point would you determine that your load is secure for severe conditions but it would not take the unit over with you? Sooo many different things can happen in that situation. I think if you follow the guidelines and secure your load properly, then thats all you can do. Sounds like you are one of those people that does it right..

Grader4me

Hey, I have learned alot from this site! I posted some pics of my load and would like some feedback on how its chained down. I never actually towed it yet as I am waiting to get my Condition 15, which allows me to haul a trailer weighing more than 4500 kg. I will be towing it with an 2004 F-250, 6.0L.

Looks good! Welcome to HEF fellow east coast Canuck! Hey Gramps...another one ....lol

on edit..see you joined last year..must have missed your posts

Last edited:
Yea I would have to agree with Monkey. With it being cross chained, it allows more tension on the chains where as if they were not, if a slight pull in the opposite direction slack would be on both sides, not just the one. Hope that came out clear. Does anyone know the best way to haul large machinery that have Magnet Generator attached. How would you tie this down to keep from swinging?

Last edited by a moderator:

muzy

Maby if you thought about it you would figger it out. But insted you would rather ask simple questions just to get you spam links on site.
Set it on the deck and tie it down. As if some one would leave it swinging trying to transport it. Give your head a shake. muzy

heavylift

Simple, just drop it onto the steel deck and switch it on.

RnR.

what if it's an aluminum trailer. :)

heck if the trailer is steel, then turning the magnet on would magnetize the whole trailer. Eliminated the need for chains entirely. MMM I wonder if DOT has a rule for magnetized hauling of a load. :)

623B

I cross chain everything from D9's to pick up trucks. But with a single line not doubled as shown. Brake over binder are good but getting as i get older ratchet binders are a bit easier on these old bones...

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Saw this while at Hertz today,Would you haul it tied like this ??

Sure, but I can't figure out why he had the need to use all of that chain and rig it how he did. It's not going anywhere IMHO..The chain appears to be small in size too but I really can't tell by the photo. The loop are way too big , closer to the machine , like in stright down from where it is mounted vs half down the trailer bed and skip the criss cross , go directly down for max adheresion to the trailer deck. Like I said, it messed up in rookie level IMHO but, I really don't think it would move much as long as it was tight and stayed tight for the duration of the move.

Last edited:

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
How many chains you want boss??????

all 1/2", 2 cross chains each end, 1 vertical hold down at each corner and if i could have found anyplace to put more i would have. C-500 KW, 150 ton single drop oilfield lowboy. this load needed outriggers in the wind!!!!!

Attachments

• how many chains did you say you wanted.jpg
    how many chains did you say you wanted.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,759