• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

World war II Weekend

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I hate to go off course on Diggity-D's thread here,but......

It's really sad to watch a once-reformed thread hijacker as he falls off the wagon. All twelve of those steps, down the drain... :(

:waving

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
It's really sad to watch a once-reformed thread hijacker as he falls off the wagon...

Well.....of all the wagons I could've fallen off,this is the least destructive.:rolleyes:

I was just trying to help you anyways!! You could hear the crickets in this thread,as everyone was quietly waiting in anticipation of those plane pictures.

Or are you going to post them with Squizzy's vacation pics??

Oh,wait........we didn't get them either.:wink2

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
For those who don't know, HEF's "Thread Hijackers Anonymous" works like this; If you start to feel the need to hijack a thread, you call THA, and another member comes over and sits and drinks with you until you're both to drunk to type... :drinkup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Here ya go, wiseguy. See what happens when you rush me? I get all flustered... :Banghead

Attachments

• P6030127.JPG
    P6030127.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,006

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Jeff,I was stationed at Downs Barracks in Fulda Germany from 6/60 to 12/62 with the 58th Engineers supporting the 14th Armored Cavalry who were there doing border patrol.That name does not sound familiar,that is to say that I probably saw that nametag before but did not know anyone personally with that name.
I will enclose a link to a page with some info and pics on it.
If you scroll about 3/4s of the way down you will see a series that I sent with some H-34 helicopter pics on it.Ron G

http://usarmygermany.com/Units/ArmoredCav/USAREUR_14thACR.htm

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
digger242j said:
For those who don't know, HEF's "Thread Hijackers Anonymous" works like this; If you start to feel the need to hijack a thread, you call THA, and another member comes over and sits and drinks with you until you're both to drunk to type... :drinkup

I called and nobody came...:crying ...seems the THA doesn't have a branch down under :rolleyes: so,,,this what happens when you let a 3 year old loose with a digital camera:

Attachments

• 3yo pics 050.jpg
    3yo pics 050.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 878

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
3 Years Pics (Hi-jack) Cont...

Ok, I'll stop it.....Great thread though digger...just one more:bouncegri

Attachments

• 3yo pics 052.jpg
    3yo pics 052.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 869
  • 3yo pics 053.jpg
    3yo pics 053.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 880
  • 3yo pics 060.jpg
    3yo pics 060.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 878
  • 3yo pics 074.jpg
    3yo pics 074.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 882

Jeff D.

Ron,thanks for the link.That's interesting stuff.I'm guessing that you're paths wouldn't have crossed though.I think he went in the Navy in 59 or 60,but flew out of Brunswick Me. until about 64,then switched to Air Force.The he was overseas allot of the time until about 71,but I don't think any Germany,just Vietnam and Korea.

That would've been too small a world,had you two met.

Digger and Squizzy.I now see why you guys were holding back on those pics.
And Squizzy,I think it's now just going to be just called "TH",not "THA".There's not much use in the "A" when Digger's the one running it.But don't worry I won't tell who else is a memeber.:bouncegri

The Military equipment does make a good thread though,D-train.If you can resize all the light fixtures out of the way,the planes would be interesting to see:thumbsup

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Squizzy246B said:
..you fit in here well seeing as its the "Old Iron".....
....the pics....I got plenty more:yup

Most of my equipment would need to be IN this section,although you're still longer in the tooth than me,so there!!:yup

As for the pictures,um...........I think someones at the door,I gotta go.:rolleyes:

reel knotty

digger242j said:
Cat D-4 dozer.

This was actually owned by the Navy, and is displayed by a contingent of Seabees. It has loader tracks rather than the original dozer tracks, but it's obviously been restored with a great deal of care, and no small expense...
attachment.php

Hey Guys. Just to shed a little more light on these machines.
The dozer is a 1942 D-2 cat that was restored about 5 years ago. When we found her the top cover was off of the clutch case and left open to the rain. After countless years of rain and freezing it cracked the case. We are lucky enough to have a local bone yard that helped us find the parts we needed. This CAT did come from the navel proving ground, which we believe converted it to hydrolic. We do play with it from time to time.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1304&stc=1&d=1149453079

The Benford is actually a Bamford. It is a British machine and they are still in use on farms across the pond. It has a single cylinder Lister deisel engine that is hand crank start. We believe the year is between 1938-1942.

We are now looking for a 1940's era fork lift or loader to add to our collection (we are SeaBees so we need to make our set up easier) If anyone kows of anything please shoot me an email...

Nate

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Thanks for the info and pics Nate,

And welcome to the forum.

You wouldn't have any pictures of a Navy HU-16 in your collection would you?It's has twin radial recip engines,and is amphipibous.I know this one old guy who'd get a real kick outta seeing one again.:yup

Thanks.

Last edited:

reel knotty

i'm affraid I don't. There are still several in the air although I haven't seen one in years. I think the last one I saw live was in Key West about 10 years ago. That one was privately owned.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Hey! I took that one for all the fellows over at "Outdoor Lighting Fixtures Forums". Somebody had the nerve to fly a B-17 through the background and ruined the shot, so I figured I'd post it here where nobody would recognize the difference...

GOT HAZ?

digger242j said:
Hey! I took that one for all the fellows over at "Outdoor Lighting Fixtures Forums". Somebody had the nerve to fly a B-17 through the background and ruined the shot, so I figured I'd post it here where nobody would recognize the difference...

Thats pretty funny:laugh You made me laugh at my computer.

Jeff D.

reel knotty said:
There are still several in the air although I haven't seen one in years.

I saw one from a distance at a military air museum in Phoenix Az. but they weren't letting anyone near it.I don't know if they were going to restore it,or what.They did have alot of other planes though.A very interesting mix of WWII stuff up to some early Migs,an O-2,and even a century series fighter.

My biggest impression came from climbing around in a B-25 Mitchell.I never realized how utilitarian,crude,and small the interior of some of those bombers were.

I'm curious as to what "SeaBees" denotes?Did it come from "CB" which stood for something else?

Does your group do any other shows around the country?Oshkosh perhaps?

I've been tempted to check that show out,that would give me an extra incentive.

reel knotty

Hi Jeff,
Yes SeaBee AKA CB AKA Construction Batallion. We are a division of the Navy although we worked more closely with the Marines. During WWII we would land with the Marines to help secure the pacific islands. As the resistance eased the marines would run security for us as we built the runways, roads and barracks before moving on to the next island. During this period we wore USMC uniforms although our paycheck did come from the Navy.

The Reading show is our largest show. We do several other smaller shows but only on the east coast. We all have full time jobs so it makes it a little tough to run across the country although we would love to do it.

If you know any WWII USMC vets ask them about a SeaBee as they are the ones that appreciated us the most.

Or just ask this guy:
This is me with Gunnery SGT R. Lee Ermey

Attachments

• nate_and_gunny.jpg
    nate_and_gunny.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 701
Last edited: