• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working the water and land pics

skyking1

Here is the only picture I can find of the portable dredge i crewed on in '97? in Tacoma. It is in this PDF.
http://www.fsdrv.org/pdf/Enews 13 Final Inlet Dredging.pdf
We had put two flexi-floats on the end of it, removed the cutter head and put on some long hose and a pipe with a suction head 2x2 with water jets around the perimeter to blast the mud up off the rip-rap.
They had already welded the house of a cannibalized tiny boom lift to the deck and powered it from the dredge hydraulics to be the crane lifting and lowering the head off the rocks.
8V92 and 8' pump in the house with the deck engineer.
Leverman sat on a tractor seat welded to the side of the boom lift, and ran it using the ground control toggle switches. :Rolleyes, facepalm:

skyking1

The wheels of hospital remodel and construction turn slowly. I set this lobby glass and the structural steel behind it in 2019.
In this picture I'm setting the piece of structural steel for a future skylight canopy. IMG_20220414_113527.jpg

That same piece of steel is still visible after they demoed all the buildings out in front of it, My former boss sent me this picture.
IMG_20220414_113510.jpg

Last edited:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The wheels of hospital remodel and construction turn slowly. I set this lobby glass and the structural steel behind it in 2019.
In this picture I'm setting the piece of structural steel for a future skylight canopy. View attachment 257245

That same piece of steel is still visible after they demoed all the buildings out in front of it, My former boss sent me this picture.
View attachment 257246
Beautiful building

skyking1

Not my job, but I happened on this crew driving some sheet pile on the Tacoma waterfront.
PXL_20230126_191304920.jpg

PXL_20230126_191327874.jpg PXL_20230126_191721480.jpg

They did not know the model LOL " 100 ton" they said.
The bulkhead does look a bit rough but not that bad, this will be fun to check back on.
PXL_20230126_202959969.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's Quigg Brothers out of Aberdeen, Washington. All their stuff sits next a river about twenty miles from the coast until they move it to use somewhere else.

skyking1

Barnhart had their heavy panel tilter in the neighborhood. That crew was pretty fast, I came back by a few hours later and that side was mostly done.
All that was left tonight was the last panel.
PXL_20230615_145830967.jpg

skyking1

This was probably my last crane dispatch back in 2020.
They had pranged this grain loading system on the hatch of a grain ship. The fab shop called the hall for an operator.
IMG_20200610_083207.jpg

I had Maxim's rental 800, a 23 ton boom truck. It took dozens of backs and fills to get it around the corner to the right angle dock and a dozen more to get out under the work. It filled the dock from bull rail to bull rail, and was the maximum load for the structure. The fabricators had done this before :)
I think there are 4 conveyors there.
We started by taking off the telescoping tube, which was a pain to lay down. Talk about a variable load! It was more fun to hang it back on.
IMG_20200610_155739.jpg

There were 3 picks to strip it down to the main show. The guys used chain falls to get it down to enough headroom for me to shoot the boom over the top and pick it.
There was considerable confusion about the actual weight of the main nugget there. The plant produced documentation of around 8000 pounds, but it had been changed and morphed with other motors added to the platform for this or that.
I got it on the hook and it was closer to 9K.
@1693TA this was the picture I wanted to show you. This is a 23 ton boom truck with a 20' bed, I could not land this beyond the bed without overloading the crane.
IMG_20200611_133954.jpg

I had to set it down on the bed, which was overload of the day on the truck. Then I backed up to where I could set it down in the pocket next to the outrigger.
IMG_20200611_145325.jpg

That poor little 1 ton flatbed!

So when you look at that chart compared to the 8 ton 400 model you can see what little you can pick over the end of the bed.

renovator

Not my job, but I happened on this crew driving some sheet pile on the Tacoma waterfront.
View attachment 278780

View attachment 278779 View attachment 278781

The bulkhead does look a bit rough but not that bad, this will be fun to check back on.
View attachment 278782
View attachment 278780

View attachment 278782
View attachment 278780

View attachment 278782
View attachment 278780

View attachment 278782
I just passed my OSHA 30 yesterday and that is still droning on in my head. I see several violations, but then I'm seeing violations everywhere.

Natman

The first time I laid eyes on a rear mounted swing cab/sit down boom truck, it was so obvious (I couldn't believe I didn't have one already) : it get's the boom closer to the work, increasing it's capability, it made me want to throw rocks at my (third) BTC boom truck. It was sent down the road a couple weeks later, it's only advantage being a higher payload going down the road, which doesn't apply to me.

skyking1

We were motoring down the Valley Freeway in the dark and rain, and came up on this large collection of flashing lights and iron in the right lane. The end of this boom is just ridiculous! it looks as big as a bus.
img.axd

It was set up on a jeep like this. These are not the rig, just representative pictures.
GMK7550 550 ton crane
img.axd

Probably one of Barnhart's cranes.

img.axd