• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working the National 1300A

crane operator

I thought it looked like a 3 part and knew you were over on line pull. I prefer a little extra line pull as too little. The winches get jumpy up around 7,000.

Natman

The winch cooperated, nice and smooth, the LMI squawked though, as I had it set for a 3 part line, but not until one end of the container was airborne so I knew just a little more....... I don't like posting about going over limit, don't want anyone to think I do so recklessly, cheated a bit here though for sure.

Rigging for a 4 part line is quick and easy, which I've only done a few times in the 6 years I've had this rig. I use my 8 ton snatch block, pinned to the top of my single sheave 15 ton load block, so the rope goes over my boom tip, thru the big block, back up thru my second boom tip sheave (I only have two), down to the snatch block, and finally to the boom tip pendant (or whatever it's called. Next time I'll keep in mind, that the biggest hassle is rigging for the big block/3 part line (never carried on board, left in my shop unless I know I'll need it), taking off my usual headache ball etc., but once I do that, getting to a 4 part line is so quick and easy.....10 minutes and a helper for a 3 part line rig, another minute at most I can do myself to get to a 4 part line, I may as well forget about 3 lines and go right to 4 in the future, as I doubt this will be the last time a load weighs more than I was told!

Natman

80' span girder trusses (doubled up, so lots easier to pick/less floppy) and I think he said 200' long riding arena to do next week. A 60 mile flight in 5 below temps got me to the jobsite, where I texted the contractor this pic plus told him where and how to arrange things before my arrival Monday. I am not sure how many of the purlins they will install while I'm on site, enough to tie it all together I'm sure, but they told me expect 2 or 3 days of work. I'll drag my TOAD vehicle up there, a beater RAV4 Toyota I don't mind getting dirty, and make the commute in it. I'll charge a bit for that but not near as much if driving the National back and forth. A secure site, plus I can plug it in.IMG_20230130_112523293~2.jpg

Natman

The contractor said they would move them wherever I felt best, pretty much giving me the impression he realized they were too far away to just pick and set them. I see the posts on the left side, where I plan to setup, looks like for a leantoo, I'll crowd them as much as possible, run my outriggers between them, to reduce my needed radius. The winds come from that side also (most likely anyway) so the tagline should be on the downwind side, oops, make that the upwind side....,can't push on a rope though I have seen guys try. I probably will need to move 2, maybe three times, but level ground so it'll be quick and easy, while they are messing with the purlins. I should be able to put them about 80' to 90' away, guesstimating their weight at 800 pounds or so. I am always aware of the cost effectiveness of a bigger crane V my 30 ton boom truck, and think this will pencil out good for the guy writing the check. I had not considered setting up inside, but will keep that in mind. The job is pushed back again a few days due to below zero temps, which doesn't break my heart! My crane shed is kept at 50 degrees (radiant floor heat) but after driving for an hour in below zero temps.....

crane operator

they've got the inside shoveled, that's where I'd be.

I like it if the trusses are laying just outside the building, and I can set inside but not centered, cheat toward the truss pile side. Set up so you can just reach the first one, and work tight to yourself. Move, and then finish from the outside. Lots more swing, lot less booming. Fast and easy, and a lot closer to them.

Natman

Inside, that's an option normally not avaible to me due to height restrictions, so I didn't even think of that. I can see that working most of the way, but it'd get a bit awkward towards the end, as in not possible, no? Some combo of in and outside maybe. I have another job north of this one today, so I am going to cheat and if I have enough daylight left stop by and eyeball it.

Natman

Started the 230' long by 81' wide horse arena today. Doubled up/girder trusses, (2x8 top chord, 6 bottom, about 2200 pounds a pick) they fly good, the single ply gable end we pretty much hoisted right up along the wall with no problems. I turned the rig around after this pic was taken, next set was at my new setup area, comfortably at the upper end of my chart, so I counted how many poles away I was so next move I can again start long as possible than suck in my boom as I work closer and closerIMG_20230207_110935328.jpg , and than move again. NO 6x6 poles in the entire engineered structure, all pressure treated 2x6's nailed together, guess straight 6's are easier to get than 6 bys. And like a glu lam beam probably stronger also.

hosspuller

... NO 6x6 poles in the entire engineered structure, all pressure treated 2x6's nailed together, guess straight 6's are easier to get than 6 bys. And like a glu lam beam probably stronger also.

I read in a Morton building systems flyer, years ago, that they use 2x boards nailed together because the Pressure Treatment is then at the center of the post. Unlike a solid 6x6 where the center is barely or untreated against rot.

Their current flyer touts the laminated posts along with concrete post bases.

See here > https://mortonbuildings.com/our-materials/foundation

Welder Dave

The portion in the ground and at least a foot above should treated for in ground use and not standard pressure treating. On my building they dumped 2 bags of quick Crete in the holes with some water to make cookies for the posts. The holes were 24" dia. and filled with 3/4" washed rock for drainage. Never cement the posts in. That's what will rot them. If the building site is built up and has some drainage you don't really need cement posts in the ground. 4 2x6's is apparently a little stronger than 3 2x8's. Some posts are 3 2x6's too.

Last edited:

Natman

50 year warranty for the lam 2x6 stuff, 30 for the 6x6, interesting.

I did something today I never even considered before, took my Kindle e reader to work! As I set these girder trusses, and make sure the crew (a good one) is happy, I shut the Mack off, as it's going to be at least 20 to 45 minutes before the next pick. I was getting real bored, even with the Sirius radio and my smart phone (probably over my limit on the phone, I thought about asking for the wifi password of the home owners as I was right there and getting a strong signal, but passed on that idea) and after lunch I got the Kindle out and kept myself alert, instead of dozing off. With the engine off, the carpenters good with it, I didn't feel too guilty.

Natman

Yes, by the time they hand pounded in the 20 d ring shank nails into the on edge 2x4's used for the purlins (nothing toenailed, just big spikes clear thru, the long way), moved the hyd. manlifts multiple times, it took a while. they went a tad overboard in their bracing, but big as the trusses are probably not. All this crew does is big pole barns like this arena and I got the impression a little, or a lot, of extra crane time was no big deal. A bit under 40 hours total, counting the 2 hr drive there and back, 8 hrs just in travel time. Wrapped up today, I am glad to be outa there, one of the most boring jobs since setting municipal well pumps.

Natman

Setting these pipe lattices the other day, the iron workers were making fine adjustments to them with a 10 lb sledgehammer, seems they were a very tight fit. Light taps turned into hard as they could smack it blows, (did I say they were ironworkers), and the guy on the left lost his grip. The sledge pinballed thruIMG_20230210_141735430~2.jpg the top lattice, and the lower one, and missed all that expensive glass. It was the most entertainment I've had on a job in quite a while.

Natman

Sent this pic taken today to the contractor, told him the bill was in the mail, he responding with "I'm in Mexico for 2 weeks." 6 above this morning here, goIMG_20230216_145509354~2.jpg od timing on his part. About an hour per truss of my time, but that's also counting 2 hrs of travel, per day, over 4 days.

Natman

Back to my usual work, NOT picking small buildings up.

First chance I had to fly in almost 3 weeks, been a rough winter, so I mixed a little fun with eyeballing my first two jobs of the week. The big project is a new charter school, we set half the trusses a few days ago, the other half should be up by Tuesday.

The second is kind of a post and beam building, except the beams are all steel, and it's 35' high, I'll be picking the 4 roof segments up one at a time. The contractor was all hot to have it picked in one all put togther section, but I talked him out of that right away, pointing out all the extra work for me to rig it and for crew to stiffback etc., 1 at a time will be easy/peasy, and quick. The silos contain beans I'm told, not sure what kind.

Attachments

• IMG_20230311_153633221~2.jpg
    IMG_20230311_153633221~2.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230311_155835818~2.jpg
    IMG_20230311_155835818~2.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 25

Natman

Pretty self explanatory, and yes, it was a Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_164658404_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230314_164658404_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230314_165500455_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230314_165500455_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34

Natman

It got a bit scary when the crawler tractor spun it's tracks...., as in NOW what do we do?! This site has foot deep wallows and is a bog. We got it done by showing up early after a cold night, though driving over the frozen ruts was hard on the equipment, and leaving the rig there overnite once. The other time I got pulled out. Third time I was able to drive out, barely. I have to go back to set the red iron trusses, but it should be better by then I hope.

Tomorrow's job is on flat, level, pavement, but I'll make a mess by the time I leave as my pads and dunnage are all mud caked from the last job. there's a chance this next job will be out of my chart, (pre-fabbed roof sections, not sure how far away) and I'm so glad to be out of the mud I told the guy if I can't do it, no charge, just glad to be here! It'll be like a day off.