• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working the National 1300A

Knepptune

Yours may the newer style where they don’t want you taking the cartridge out. It probably will be the whole block. Four bolts on the top to change it out.

Natman

What's a good source for a new complete turntable bearing/slewing ring assembly, asking for a friend....., symptoms are: not good noises when rotating, sometimes. $8500 to 10 K through National. I remember a while back when I was whining here about the price quote I got for a missing outrigger pad of $1500.00 and 6 weeks out, and ended up getting one in a week or so , for $600.00, thanks to a tip from someone here! I do know that one for a Manitex 28 ton was recently bought for $3500.00, complete with new bolts.

Natman

I saw this giant spreader bar at a local used equipment place along the interstate, and eventually I noticed it was gone. A year later, yesterday, i saw where it ended up, as the top of a gate post entry. The vert posts were there for years, the owner never found the right thing to cap it off until now I guess. I know he's not a crane op.IMG_20220718_132457202.jpg

Natman

I did something I maybe have not done before, in 22 years: After a 45 min. travel time, we started at 7, and worked until 5:30, in 90+ heat, I quit. Thing is, the truss job should have taken 4 or 5 hrs. but these amatuer builders (with a couple hired "carpenters", who were worthless, one talked on his cell phone for several minutes BEFORE unhooking me, I wanted to take him aside and tell him how much a minute that cost the homeowners), the same guy put the truss stabilizers where they did the least good, and way too many of them, all before unhooking me. Girder trusses on each side, with trusses going between, once in the hangars and with a single or at most dual stabilizers at the top, I was ready to swing the next truss. But no...., they would fill each and every hole in the hangars first, before cutting me loose. Then they would stand there doing nothing while I got the next one. Don't get me started on the guy rigging for me, after telling him twice "once you get me hooked up, get your hands outa there," but several times he'd reach back in to fiddle with the rigging after I started winching up, totally unneeded, he just didn't understand that the chain (lifting grade) I use on the end of a sling (the headache ball never gets closer than 6' while they're unhooking me) will slide up as the truss is lifted, doesn't matter a whit if it's not up tight against the top chord, it will be as soon as it's upright. He also didn't get he didn't need to choke up on the tag line as the truss was lifted off the pile, he'd have his face right by the truss as it lifted off the stack, instead of standing the heck back and letting me get it airborne without getting in the way. Of course, he didn't know when to let go of the line, and when to get me parallel to the other trusses.

Anyway, at 5:30 with only half the house done, and after finishing one type of truss up (all braced) and while they were studying the truss sheet to figure how the stack needed to be shuffled to get at the next ones: I called it. I told them (it wasn't up for discussion) I'd had it for the day, and explained if we worked until dark I'd still have to make another trip out there to finish up. They did have the good sense to agree with me, everybody was getting tired. I'll go back next week, in a better mood (four 10-12 hrs days in a row last week, all in heat) and will grin and bear it, and give them a bill 3 or 4 times more than it should be, if they had competent help. I'd rather knock out 4 houses with pro crews and make the same money. I hate feeling guilty over profiting from their ineptitude, but they knew my hourly rate going in.

Natman

A customer wants me to move an older boxcar, no trucks/wheels, long used at a school field for storage. "Only" 10'. My gut feeling is it's maybe 30 to 50 K? I'm passing on it regardless. No easy rigging points like a connex box. I can only rig for a 3 part line, and that's 9/16", so only good for 22,500 pounds, not going to waste my time.

skyking1

sometimes dumb idea is just dumb. you could dillyfart around and pick one end and end up side loading your rig for nothing, trying to walk it over. Best to jusst say no.
Them other yahoos? be sure to make a note of who they are and turn down any future jobs they run/show up on. Going stupid slow like that is also dangerous.

Natman

About knocked over a porta pottie today! The bottom chord was right against the thing, and it was one of those trusses that had 2 different vaults, an offset peak, and a "mystery" CG (until you picked it up) , and a one of a kind. Just a gentle tap as it came vertical and we acheived liftoff, BUT the crapper was set on a tilt to start with, you could push it over by hand, and it tettered, came about as close as it could to tipping over, and then tettered back, crisis avoided. Too bad no one was in there. 101 degrees today, no one got excited.

Natman

Back in the day, over 20 years ago anyway. My old beater Goldwing with Buster the dog riding along as I unload it. He rode a fair bit in the Goldwing's trunk, never any problems at all, he had to teach me it was just like riding in the pickup. He's standing up, being some kind of short legged mutt mix, he eventually passed on, at almost 18 years old. This was my first boom truck, a 10 ton JLG with 55' of stick, and a home made 18' jib I copied exactly off a factory one. The CraneSmart wireless load indicator above the ball was money very well spent.img051.jpg

Natman

The 400 pound motor up top needed to be changed out, the savvy contractor eyeballed it pretty good, said we MAY need the jib.... I don't haul it around all the time as I need it so rarely and it puts me over the 40K limit on my rear tandems (39,820 pounds is how I cross the scales!) so we hauled it on a trailer and turned out with all 109.4" of stick out, I over reached by about 2 '! We figured hauling it even not needed was better than needing it but not having it. 65' diameter silo didn't help.

It may look like I was playing in the nearby mountains, but I'm always on the lookout for work. Looked up the log truck driver in the cafe, and got a promise from him he'd pass on my info to the log home builder if they need some crane help, the job site was 10 miles away. and any lifting equipment at least 100.IMG_20220830_094821903~2.jpg IMG_20220829_082941982.jpg IMG_20220829_084428636~2.jpg

Natman

Seemed too good to be true, easy access (sitting on the counter weight), just four 5/16" bolts that go into threaded holes. Then, when I loosened the last one and the O rings unseated, there was just enough pressure to give me one good squirt of hyd. oil, not in the face but on my shirt and pants, more of what I expected, especially for a Monday morning. It took maybe 5 minutes, and though I didn't raise the boom/ set it all up, I did start up and run it back and forth a bit while still in cradle, appears to be all good.

Flew over this ICF block project on the way back from a Sunday morning breakfast flight across the Wyoming border, only later did I remember it's some kind of a meditation learning center (whatever that is), and I wondered if anyone got un meditated by my fly over, but the guy I'm dealing with just laughed when I mentioned it, cars on the highway make more noise he said. The plane IS quiet, even quieter then I think sometimes. There will be some truss stack moving probably, especially if those walls get higher, and they will. My next work related flight will be to a 60' by 120' farm building, with 20' high walls, and the farmer, who I don't know or have met yet, happens to be a former though inactive pilot. This came out when I mentioned I fly out and would eyeball his project first chance I get. Left unsaid, is that I will also land there if possible. I don't ask, that puts them feeling liable if I screw it up, this way it's all on me, been doing it that way for a long time, works. No extra charge!IMG_20220905_105450041.jpg

Natman

The new holding valve assembly is working perfect, it WAS causing the extention cylinder's issue it seems, which makes it's $800.00 cost more bearable.

Got a rare callout for Sunday work, a Piper Saratoga pilot forgot to put his gear down. He was annoying me and getting the way while I was setting up, so I told him it was like getting "help" in pre-flighting your plane, an unneeded distraction, and he took the hint. It was fun mixing the crane work with my plane stuff, like when the one bystander was convinced we should rig to the lifting lug on top of the engine, which is intended for lifting only the engine itself and would put a lot of stress on the rubber engine mounts. I instead suggested we rig to the firewall section of the mount, which is bolted solid behind the rubber mounts. Also, I made sure the rear 4" sling was directly under a fuselage station, so we didn't oil can the tin. 2600 pounds, lifted perfect, then he put the gear down and I was done. Small town strip, no media, no other traffic in the hour the job took, and no TV coverage of the incident, perfect, no scratched paint even. I hate to see a wrecker do this job, they cause more damage.IMG_20220911_171235877~2.jpg He told me to make sure I charge plenty as he is fully insured, oddly enough my own liability coverage on my plane is due, so his bill will pay for that with enough left over for the next 13 hours of airtime (3.5 GPH, $4.35 per gallon), so everybody is happy. Well, the pilot's wife didn't seem real pleased, not my problem.

Natman

I'm a experiemental/LSA pilot, all factory made planes look alike! But it was a Saratoga, made by Piper I believe.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
How did he manage to not destroy the prop or was he landing with the engine off? Or is there damage that doesn't show in the photo?

skyking1

No, that's a cardinal RG. Made by Cessna. Nice pick !!

Cardinal-RG-Three.jpg

He had the power on and you can see each prop blade took a hit. The engine will have to be torn down and checked but It is probably OK.

dirty4fun

Not the way to make a Q tipped prop, a very expensive mistake. Must of not heard the horn-buzzer for the gear not down.

dirty4fun

What is the experimental plane that you fly Natman?
I went to the Stearman fly in last week and got a couple rides with pilots I have met over the years. Sure lots of fun and always enjoyable meeting some of the pilots!