1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Working the National 1300A

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by Natman, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Natman

Natman Senior Member

Thing is, even without the front outrigger, with the 1400 pound counterweight I'm told by a guy who runs 5 of the same rigs I still have a full 360 chart. I've never maxxed it out over the front but have worked enough without it down to semi believe him.

2. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

You love them heavy attic trusses too, got them big bottom chords. Did they have to nail a couple together for a girder by the stairwell too? That's the best- especially if its in the far corner.

dirty4fun likes this.
  3. Natman

Natman Senior Member

Yup, tripled no less.

Today I get a call, and it seemed wonky enough for me to go get a look see before driving up to the job. Homeowner builder, don't know who he got for the first part, he mentioned something about "big cranes to set the beams". I got done early enough in town to get home and fly out and do some snooping. I've done pole barn picks before, with all the purlins in btween the girder trusses, this would appear to be a bit different from what I could see.
    Looks like all the bottoms are framed out, but not the top, weird. He didn't mention anything about needing a spreader bar, good thing I saw this, now I will bring it with me. Just unloaded it yesterday. 45 minute drive 1 way, 20 minute flight, going in a straight line makes the difference, plane only flies 75-80 mph. Landed a few ridgetops on the way, on the skis now. I really do use the plane a lot for crane work, no fun at all. IMG_20221121_154656720~2.jpg

4. boaterri

boaterri Well-Known Member

Retired Television Engineer
    Makes it tax deductible...

5. Natman

Natman Senior Member

Yeah, but it's a "red flag" raiser. Next thing ya know, you're filling out paperwork to justify every flight claimed as business, having to keep a separate logbook, etc. I went thru that decades ago, never again! Like trying to get back the road tax I pay for the car gas I burn in the plane, just too much hassle.

dirty4fun likes this.