1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Working on a hill

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by thebig450es, Dec 31, 2009.

1. thebig450es

thebig450es Well-Known Member

Who has some pics of them working on a hill? Any tips? What would be the narrowest ramp you would make put climb the hill? Thanks

2. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

is this what you are asking about....The top one you dig the red on the left and throw to the right .... to make bench to set on.... the blue is what you dig for a pipe... and usually use a dump truck to load out . or a loader..

Is this the house project?

either way you can work your self to the end making the bench... then if needed, dig the blue on the way out... throwing the spoil behind you... removing with a loader or dump truck

hope this gives you an idea

Attached Files:

3. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

My concept of project drawing:) the red is the gabions.... Not to scale LOL
    If not the house project I at least had fun coloring

Attached Files:

4. thebig450es

thebig450es Well-Known Member

yes it will be used there. I like your drawings. What angles can these machines handle? I don't know if it would be better to clear a path and go straight up the hill or make a horizontal ramp up the hill

5. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

they would set one the above angles .... probably with a bit of pucker factor. you can always turn the blade downhill .. and use it to hold and level the machine..
    i would guess 4 to 1 slope would be the easiest.... and could possibily level the machine with the blade.
    going straight up a 2 to 1 would work... but you may fill tippy.... keep the blade in the back to level and hold the hoe..
    I would work the top drain first.... rough it in throwing the spoil to the top as a dam to divert future rain away from the project.

Or the top could be built with a track skid steer

that red gabion pic should be a rectangle

6. Scuba_Si

Scuba_Si Active Member

Hi All,

I would like to know what people's opinions are on getting a mini to go up hills. i have experience with skid steers going up and down into the back of pickups backwards, but i figure for a mini-ex you'd want the hoe out front to dig, which would leave you puckering as the counter weight at the back jiggles around as you dig.

I have about 3 hectares of rainforest behind our resort that i'm wanting to add access paths and drainage to, once i get above my limit i'll add a new thread with pics :)

7. Jared F

Jared F Member

What slope?

Here are some pix of my ex. and brush hound attachment. The hill is MUCH steeper than it looks, the only way i could work it was to drop off the top and work my way down as going back up was impossible. I almost flipped her a few times too. Got to be sooo careful.

Attached Files:

8. strott

strott Senior Member

Mini Excavator and dumper operator
    If the job looks good and you finished in one piece then what more can you ask for?

Well done.

9. Deeretime

Deeretime Senior Member

superintendent
    I sat about 3ft away from the edge of that pile when it was cut at a 1-1 slope and still loaded trucks. It depends if u are sitting on lose material or sitting on hard packed clay, in ideal conditions when on a slope cut out half and fill the other with about 3ft all the way around the machine when u sit on your bench and u should have no problems

Attached Files:

10. J Olender

J Olender Well-Known Member

I do 90% of my slope work with my 310E backhoe. With practice you just get used to being on slopes. Don't swing the hoe up hill and just feel when it's getting tippsy. That's a good way to get a feel for your machine. I hope the pics came through.

Attached Files:

11. jughead

jughead Senior Member

retired
    pics like these are what makes this old man know he would never make an operator. even when 16 and 10 ft tall and thought he was bullet proof.