1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Working in sand... need advice

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by watglen, May 4, 2018.

1. watglen

watglen Senior Member

Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
    Hey guys. I am new to sandy soil and am having a real problem doing my job.

In the drainage business we dig something called a starter hole. In order to connect a tile pipe to a tile pipe main, we dig a short trench 30" wide, 2-3' deep, and about 10' long. From here we can install a connector into the main, connect a pipe to it, and then backfill. In clay its easy. Figure about 3 minutes per hole for a skilled operator.

In loose water sand its impossible. The two issues are water pouring in at about the 30" depth, undermining the trench walls, and speeding hole collapse.

Tried a bunch of different techniques including 2 excavators to bale and dig together. but nothing works.
    By the time you give up, you have a hole as big as a small house, but only 24" deep, filling with water and sand as fast as you can bail it out. Whats really interesting once the hole gets wide, the sides start to sink, and the bottom starts to rise. Without any soiling falling into the hole, it gets shallower. Standing in the hole, you can feel yourself rising. Its wacked. So getting the trench bottom graded right is not going to happen.

I was thinking a trap bucket or a tilt bucket might help. Dig the trench with sloped walls and a narrow bottom.

I would listen to any advice anyone has

Thanks

2. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Well points/spears is the only way to go. Dewater the the ground before excavation. It's a bit slower but pays big dividends over the job time plus you should be able to charge the client to do it.

RZucker and redneckracin like this.
  3. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    Yupp, gotta get rid of the water!

4. td15c

td15c Well-Known Member

The main should pull the water table down to the bottom of the pipe and make the sand dry enough to work.if it's a old existing main is it so over loaded so it's not working. If it's a new main did you installed is it deep enough, and you may need to give it time to pull the water table down to make it easier to dig your lateral starts and put in your tap tees.

td25c likes this.
  5. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

operator/pipelayer/mechanic
    You could 2:1 slope it or lay it back farther but you will be wide at the top could you dig off to the side to get the water to run over to a deeper hole with a pump in it to to try and keep the water down I have done that and put a little bit of rock in the bottom of the hole set the hose on it then throw more rock on top of it make a little leach pit then you could stand and work in the hole

6. 02SILVER

02SILVER Well-Known Member

Well points or a kelly well would work best in that situation. Soupy sand is no fun.

7. watglen

watglen Senior Member

Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
    FYI don't google kelly wells. Its way off topic.

8. lumberjack

lumberjack Senior Member

Haha I googled and haven't found a satisfactory answer yet!

9. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

I might be wrong, but i think a kelly well is a perforated pipe surrounded by clean stone. I would think that would be hard to construct with the current ground conditions and less than ideal to put in the middle of a field.

10. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Water sand is a pita.....that shrit defies the laws of physics.

Ed

watglen likes this.
  11. 72hayes

72hayes Well-Known Member

road builder
    If wellpoint dewatering is not available or too expensive,try using a trench box and drain rock.

12. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    In real runny sand it won't work. the sand boils through the rock. BTDT