• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in Alaska pictures

nedly05

Boy you arent kidding about how people talk. Good word of mouth is the best advertisement! I do deliveries on a "per load" basis, and can make decent money at it. Ive been giving a lot of thought to "by the job" on the smaller projects and I'm thinking of trying it out come spring when the frost starts to go out and people want to get there roads dried up.

We've had 2 plowable events here, both have melted the next day or so. The frost hasnt gotten very deep, maybe 2" or so, but every time the roads have tightened up good for plowing, it has warmed up and the frost has gone out. We have a storm warning for tonight, starting as snow, changing to sleet and freezing rain, then warming up and changing to all rain. It doesnt even look like we will do any plowing from it. Man the weather has gotten weird in the last several years!

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Boy you arent kidding about how people talk. Good word of mouth is the best advertisement! I do deliveries on a "per load" basis, and can make decent money at it. Ive been giving a lot of thought to "by the job" on the smaller projects and I'm thinking of trying it out come spring when the frost starts to go out and people want to get there roads dried up.

We've had 2 plowable events here, both have melted the next day or so. The frost hasnt gotten very deep, maybe 2" or so, but every time the roads have tightened up good for plowing, it has warmed up and the frost has gone out. We have a storm warning for tonight, starting as snow, changing to sleet and freezing rain, then warming up and changing to all rain. It doesnt even look like we will do any plowing from it. Man the weather has gotten weird in the last several years!

Yeah, give it a shot! It has been crazy here the last week. I decided to accept a job returning back to the arctic circle (Prudhoe Bay) again for the winter. There just hasn't been any snow to keep me busy around here, gotta keep these excavator payments moving along!
Well as it would happen we got a foot of snow my last week home, my other snowplowing guy was out of state with his family so I had to take on our whole route by myself, I got most of it plowed in about 20 hrs only to have to restart the list again in the beginning. Thankfully that is done with now and its back to raining??? weird weather..

I did get a little more done on the shop pad, they sure do look weird (and worthless) without a boom :D

View attachment 128176View attachment 128177

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
:bash:bash:bash

Attachments

• IMG_5600.jpg
    IMG_5600.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,688
  • IMG_5598.jpg
    IMG_5598.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,678
Last edited:

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Must take a lot of turning to level off the pad that way, with no boom and bucket.

Yes, but you can always rotate and see your tracks!:D

We had to get some parts at the Deere Dealer the other day, I told the wife this would have been a completely legitimate place to get married!

Attachments

• IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,651

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Back to work.... Didnt get many pictures this time up, trying to brush the rust off that ol bicycle and get back into the grove of how things are done again.
The "safety culture" is amazing up here, amazing to the point that it actually brings work to a screeching halt, for days....BP recently implemented a scheduling process where Well Work of any kind needs to be scheduled 2 weeks in advance in order to mitigate any possible job hazards. Well each "down hole" job has its own unique set of problems and can sometimes go longer than expected overlapping another "work schedule" when that happens, it automatically gets reset at 2 weeks away resulting in finishing one job but having to wait dayyys to start another... This is just a tiny example, its hard coming from the private sector where its about production and moving back into this job where you have to slooooow wayyy down. But, they pay me a ridiculous amount of money to sit around on standby doing it how they want:thumbsup

I was up there for winter solstice, The sun doesnt come up for months, but you do get a residual glow from it.
This was taken at 1 pm, the lightest it gets! Pitch black again at 2:30

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

nedly05

So how long are you gone from home? I hear you on having to get used to the slow pace, its tough to get used to.

Silveroddo

Finally got the counter weight painted...What a learning experience that was.:Banghead I really wanted to spray it on so I could get a mirror finish but the direct to metal paint that I had was just too thick, it kept spraying like you were texturing sheetrock. I thinned it out so it would spray nice and away I went....well after 3 coats I was barely getting coverage. I was able to get 3 coats in a day, somewhere around coat 5-7 I ended up getting a run, which I then had to attempt to fix that after 10 coats the run was still visible and I had to thin it so much it was just that, thin.... So I sanded the run area back to metal and rolled it on with a foam roller. It came out better than I expected. I found decal sets for the 160 online for $180 w shipping wasn't exactly thrilled about spending that much money on stickers! So I had my local decal guy make up just one for 80 bucks and I even got it on there strait!

View attachment 126954

I know its to late now........ but here's what I've found to work pretty well. PPG brand industrial enamel, its inexpensive, tough, and has a nice gloss. To lay it down I've been picking up those cheap sets of HVLP guns you can get for $100 at the parts stores, they include 2 guns, one w/ a 1.4 tip and one w/ a 1.8. The 1.8 seems to work decent with the thicker paint and gets good coverage. Very seldom do you need more than 2 coats. Use them for a few projects and throw them away.
Looks like it turned out nice, the only thing missing is that first scratch :D

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Alaskaforby4,

Related septic install question for you, or anybody else...... My new septic was installed last summer (wasilla). How concerned should I be about the trees next to the absorption bed? Will the roots cause problems later on? The spruce are only 8 feet away from the the monitor pipes on the end of the field.

Thanks, Coaldust.
View attachment 13122

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,058

weeder57

Occupation
A&P
Hey, just read this thread a few nights ago, decided to join the forum. Fellow alaskan here, Im in Big Lake. Seen your truck go down the road some, and seen your offroad trucks going down the road too. Nice seeing some pictures of old school mining going on in petersville, we used to rent excavators to a few miners up there until recently. Im currently working on my own little 42 inch trommel project, wanting to get into mining someday. I remember when I was a kid and visiting some of the petersville mines and seeing them have 150 oz cleanups, very impressive, but that was when gold was not much... We used to do septics and land clearing around big lake until the past few years, not much money in it here to do it legally. To many weekend operators. We got into the snow plow and outdoor equipment stuff now. Mind if I post a few pics of me working my old 450b out on the Yetna river here?

dhutch

Alaskaforby4,

Great thread, love Talkeetna btw, I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright '08-'10 flying Chinooks. We'd come down to Talkeetna early spring to put in the low camp
(7000 ft) and high camp (14,000 ft) on the mountain. Flying over the top at just over 21,000 was also neat.
Enjoy your story and experiences, keep it coming.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Sorry for the late reply, had an extremely late season for us this year. We are just now stopping work and going to the maintenance phase... Had some really fun projects this year, I'll post some pictures a bit later.

Alaskaforby4,

Related septic install question for you, or anybody else...... My new septic was installed last summer (wasilla). How concerned should I be about the trees next to the absorption bed? Will the roots cause problems later on? The spruce are only 8 feet away from the the monitor pipes on the end of the field.

Thanks, Coaldust.
View attachment 13122

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
1996 Peterbilt 357 Dumptruck

So throughout the summer I've been trying to upgrade either the loader or the dumptruck. I really pushed hard a couple months for a 544J loader but no doors opened and with winter approaching they became a hot commodity and everyone snatched them up. So during all this searching a "Online Bankruptcy Auction" popped up on craigslist with a Peterbilt dumptruck. So I was headed to that town it was in next week so I called the auction company to take a look at it, no answer. I tried the next day, all day while I was in town and still no answer. I was beginning to think it was a scam and was getting frustrated. I saw in the ad that they had a location for the truck "by appointment only" So I decided to at least go make a visual inspection.

The Truck - it was listed as having a Cat 3176 w/ 365 HP. These motors weren't Cats best and it would seem a little under powered for a fully loaded dump, but my hauls are short and I can make it work. The transmission was listed as having a 9LL, This is not the greatest tranny, especially with a somewhat under powered motor. But the LL is what I like for getting in and out of peoples backyards.

Upon inspection of the truck the tires were 100% bald, not just a little bit, but smooth! Even the steer tire was flat. The inside is disgusting, looks like someone spilled coffee all over and drove through a dust storm, everyday for 5 years! But most everything was intact and it has the super fancy dash with chrome dash instrumentation, leather seats. Also it has plumbed dump, pup and tarp controls with a high lift gate which I've always really wanted. The odd thing was on the visor there was a 18 speed shift pattern, this made me wonder as to how much work they had done on the truck. The motor looked decent, no oil all over the ground. Couldnt find an inspection plate but it looked good.

Day of Auction- I called the company all morning to try to find out about this transmission but no one answered, I was somewhat leery at this point. Especially not being able to hear it run. I figured maybe if I can pick it up cheap enough.. The online auction started and I had the winning bid at 12k but I saw there was a reserve, so I bid it up to 15k and the reserve was met and there seemed to be no other interest, until the very last 10 seconds somebody decided to try and snipe bid me, this extended the auction by 5 minutes, it went back and forth a few times and at this point I was really asking myself how bad do I really want this thing. The one other bidder finally stopped at 18.5 and the truck was mine. I didn't feel overly excited as I wasn't really sure what I just did... Guess who called though, the auction company! At this point the transmission issue was a moot point as I now owned it, I doubted the secretary knew anything anyway.

Paying for it - We drove back into town to pay for the truck and we drove to the auction house address but we couldn't find it?? I called the place and said we were at the address but dont see it? They told me to look for a place called "Ron's used furniture" and they had an office in the back. I was super sketched out at this point, I went into this furniture store that smelled like it all came out of an heavy smoking elderly's home. A nice native guy pointed me into the back room, where amonst old end tables and gold plated furniture was the "office". Directly overhead has another apartment building with what sounding like 5 kids playing trampoline on the floor. I this point I figured I would probably be robbed and stuffed in a freezer never to be seen again. But, the lady behind the desk took my money and gave me a title and I high tailed it out of there.

Picking it up- We put a space heater on it, aired up the tires, added some oil and coolant. In the process I found the spec plat on the motor, as I rubbed the crud off I could barely believe my eyes as the words - 3406, 450 HP - appeared, I was beyond ecstatic. The motor fired right off and sounded great, after letting it warm up awhile we took off down the road, on the oped road I thought, lets see what this high range does... and just like that it went from a 9LL to an 18 speed!!! I am still excited about that! I went strait to the tire shop and put all new rubbers on, with super singles on the front.

Yesterday I polished up the rear aluminum wheels and am going to work on the chrome today. It has been heavily neglected as someone going bankrupt would do I guess. But I really feel like its a diamond in the rough. The power of that 3406 is AMAZING, its like driving a car!

Anyway I finally got it in the shop last night, once I get the maintence done and get her polished up a bit more I post some more pictures :D:D:D

This is how it sat when looking at it.

IMG_7826.jpg

As of yesterday with a little bit of pressure washing

IMG_7908.jpg

Reactions: DB2