• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in Alaska pictures

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Interesting stuff alaskaforby4 .

That looks to be by no means very high density living and looks to be an awful lot of expense in dirt to move and rock to bring in just to deal with a little bit of jit . . . are composting toilets not effective/approved in your area?

Cheers.

Last edited:

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Yair . . . Interesting stuff alaskaforby4 .

That looks to be by no means very high density living and looks to be an awful lot of expense in dirt to move and rock to bring in just to deal with a little bit of jit . . . are composting toilets not effective/approved in your area?

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply Scrub! It is quite the process, they are designed to handle 150 gallons a day, per bedroom. Which the State figures 2 people per BR with a max of 75 gallons per person. The septics last a really long time especially in the good gravels we have here. The first thing to go is usually the steel tank, they rust out after 20-25 years. We install a fair amount of concrete tanks but steel is easily accessible, cheaper and they weigh about 800 lbs as the concrete 1000 gallon tanks weigh close to 10,000 lbs Its a workout for my 160 to sling them around if we don't have access with the crane truck. Composters just don't handle the fluids from showers/toilets/washers due to the fact of freezing, all our systems have to have a minimum of 4' of earth cover to prevent freezing. Our waterlines are 10' deep w/ 2" insulation and still freeze from time to time.

Heres a junk tank we replaced
IMG_4791.jpg

Some concrete tanks
IMG_4501.jpg
IMG_5396.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Gotcha alaskaforby4. I figured your climate may be not conducive to a good composting environment.

I am surprised to see steel tanks. I have never seen them here although concrete is still used.

In remote areas fibreglass took over years ago as they were light and tank halves could be nested into very little space on the truck or barge and epoxied together on site . . . these days poly tanks have pretty much taken over everywhere.

I never cease to be amazed at what some of you folks have to endure with the weather and the cost of insulated installations, it must make for expensive living.

Cheers.

Last edited:

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
There are a few poly tanks that are approved for use but the haven't really caught on. I think the main thing that people worry about is if they leave for a winter the freeze/thaw cycle could potentially burst a plastic tank. Guess it could happen with steel too but steel has been tried and true for so many years..

It is an expensive place to live, but I love it. The freedom is unprecedented. Just being able to hike or hunt out my back door and not see another house or soul all day is pretty neat. For me anyway.

Here is a little frozen trench I had to dig the other day and a fire we had lastnight :)

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Thats quite a fire! How much frost do you have? How much longer will you be digging dirt?

It was a nice little fire, just burning down some stumps I hauled to the pit earlier.

Talk about a weird year, its been so warm here! Probably about 12-20" frost in driveways but only 2-3 inches out in the woods:eek:

I finally have some time to put in a pad of my own. Hopefully be able to get a shop of my own put up here. Looking at a 40x40 with additional 10' covering on eachside.
sure would be nice. Im still working on the design, I would at least like to get the slab poured next year. Time will tell

13093_10152538859360975_1964996810627847013_n.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

CBryantCo

Occupation
Jack Of All Trades
Those metal tanks just mean additional work down the road right?:cool:

I am a septic and sewer guy, almost exclusively residential repairs and tank pumping. It a good business, people in 'merica demand working toilets. I will say I am jealous of your location up there, looks nice.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Those metal tanks just mean additional work down the road right?:cool:

I am a septic and sewer guy, almost exclusively residential repairs and tank pumping. It a good business, people in 'merica demand working toilets. I will say I am jealous of your location up there, looks nice.
Thanks for the replies!
I enjoy doing sewer work, new stuff more so then existing stuff. Like you say people demand there toilets and they are willing to pay $$$ for them. The guys I have are great, we can get in and out in usually about 12 hours time and are able to take home a few grand after expenses. :thumbsup

I have to ask, how many hours do you usually put in a day? Does mama get pissy when you work late?

I would guess mama is all smiles when she remembers,the hoe is sitting in the woods,waiting:eek: Nice pics

Well I like to start early and kick off early as possible I get up around 530-6 do billing and payments and am out the door by 8, we shut down at 6 and make it back to the house around 630 or so. This year we have been immensely blessed and were able to afford the wifey to be a stay at home with our little kiddo so she understands someone has to do the working. I try to do stuff on the weekend but usually get stuck moving equipment around on Saturday, Sunday I take off, try to unplug and get ready for the next whirlwind week.
Now that its winterish that schedule has gone out the window,I still have that summer "drive" so I get up early and am ready to go buuutt, theres nothing to invoice or receive. So I end up checking out HEF one more time:D

I have been trying to plug away on this pad of mine, I don't know what it is about working on my own property, hard to get motivated. I think if I was a mechanic I would be one of those guys who works on cars all day and drives a poor running one :drinkup

IMG_5563.jpg