• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

worker ran over by excavator!

xkvator

NO COMMON SENSE... I hate when someone just walks up to an operating machine without first getting my attention from far enough out in front of me.

i used to do some work for a couple of older brothers that built a couple houses/garages a year...they just couldn't stay out of the ditch while i was working...i would have really liked to knock the one on his a$$ without hurting him...finally had to tell them the $/hr. doubles if their anywhere near me when i'm digging.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Here are my prices
$150/hr.
$175/hr if you watch
$200/hr. if you help

I broke one of the guys that works with me. Everytime he came within reach I shut down the excavator and put my hands in my lap till he got back out of reach.. Took about 5 times of this till he cought on. I still have to do it about 1 time a year at the beginning of the season to remind him. but it is much safer now. and if there any children within 300 ft. of me I will shut down till they leave.

PSDF350

Dwan like those rates seen them before cant remember where though. Also really like your method of keeping everyone safe especailly the kids SMART :salute

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
To Any Operator School Grads

Just what is the TAUGHT procedure,for approaching a machine?
Just recently we have had a fuel truck damaged,and three laborers injured by walking up on a machine's blind side.One of the operators was a graduate of a local "operators" school,the fuel truck driver had extensive construction experience.
I've been a mechanic for 22 years,the journeymen that trained me would have beat me with a track bar,if I had gotten caught walking into an operator's blind spot.
I've made apprentices sit in the truck,for such a lethal mistake.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but,THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS,JUST COSTLY MISTAKES.
We are PROFESSIONALS,a single lapse in judgement can make us STATISICS.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
The way I was taught from an oldschool type, was to stand clear of the reach of the machine. Get the operators attention. Then approach the machine AFTER the operator gave the all clear sign. Digger242j can back that up as we both have worked with this guy in the past.

PSDF350

glsahl said:
Just what is the TAUGHT procedure,for approaching a machine?
Just recently we have had a fuel truck damaged,and three laborers injured by walking up on a machine's blind side.One of the operators was a graduate of a local "operators" school,the fuel truck driver had extensive construction experience.
I've been a mechanic for 22 years,the journeymen that trained me would have beat me with a track bar,if I had gotten caught walking into an operator's blind spot.
I've made apprentices sit in the truck,for such a lethal mistake.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but,THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS,JUST COSTLY MISTAKES.
We are PROFESSIONALS,a single lapse in judgement can make us STATISICS.
I honestly dont know why anyone who has half a brain would walk up on something that big and dangerous without the operator knowing you are doing it. In my way of thinking it is simple common sense. Which would seem not many have. I have been around large dangerous machines since little and never had to be told to get there attention before you walk into danger zone. Quess maybe some just have a better sense of self preservation than others. It is like i tell my kids you need to be aware and take precuations becuase you cant rely on anyone else to. I quess it is one way of thinning the herd of the not to bright.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
The way I was taught from an oldschool type, was to stand clear of the reach of the machine. Get the operators attention. Then approach the machine AFTER the operator gave the all clear sign. Digger242j can back that up as we both have worked with this guy in the past.

Yeah, even if you have to walk 50 feet through the mud to get into the operator's field of view.

But I thought *I* taught you that. :confused:

But seriously, I'm always telling people not to stand anywhere that I can reach. Even if you know they're there, there's a risk. On two (that I can remember), separate occasions I've had catasrophic failures of backhoe swing cylinders. On the two I'm thinking of, the boom was almost fully extended, and the failure resulted in un-stoppable swings of the boom to the limits of its movement. Anybody within that arc would've been knocked into next week.

a single lapse in judgement can make us STATISICS.

Will and I were talking about that this afternoon, and that's pretty much what I said. The guy in the news item was probably well experienced, and aware of what the hazards are. All it takes is to become complacent for one moment, and it can ruin your day...

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Some people honestly don't have a fear of what the equipment can do to them or that the operator can make a mistake. One time at an auction, I was standing between to articulated dumps and someone fired one of them up and I was scared to death. Maybe it's because I tend to always think of the worst outcomes, I can't even mow the lawn without worrying about each pebble that I hit with the blades. Some people will never get it until there is an accident.

PSDF350

Cat420 funny you mention the lawn thing i'm the same way. Maybe that has something to do though with having rocks come back and hit my leg ouch.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
digger242j said:
Yeah, even if you have to walk 50 feet through the mud to get into the operator's field of view.

But I thought *I* taught you that. :confused:

Actually both you and Frank did just this. I stand corrected sir! :notworthy

:bouncegri

xkvator

digger242j said:
On two (that I can remember), separate occasions I've had catasrophic failures of backhoe swing cylinders. On the two I'm thinking of, the boom was almost fully extended, and the failure resulted in un-stoppable swings of the boom to the limits of its movement. Anybody within that arc would've been knocked into next week.
That happened to me once...a friend had a new 580K and had asked me to help him cause he was so busy...I was digging along the front of a garage for drains...almost done...then WHAM!...knocked out 5 or 6 block next to the door opening where the owner had been standing 5 min. before. when i called my friend, he told me "Oh yea...I forgot to tell you...sometimes the left swing doesn't stop" Grrrr... :cussing

digger242j said:
All it takes is to become complacent for one moment, and it can ruin your day...
...and more

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Actually both you and Frank did just this. I stand corrected sir!

Actually, for this particular part of your education, Professor Frank was responsible for giving you the information in lecture hall. It was me who demonstrated the practical application... :rolleyes:

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
I hate to start an "old school" vs "new school" argument,BUT,I've discovered an alarming trend,among those of us "old school" guys.
To set the stage,I'm 40,been a wrench since 1983,I was 18.The journeyman who taught me,at a Cat dealer,was a factory man,greased hair,Wellington boots,drank PBR,and smoked Pall Mall non-filters.I still have dreams about the D353's he made me assmeble,while he nursed a hangover.
I still work with alot of older,hardcore,guys,some could've laid pipe to the hanging gardens of Babylon.To my dismay,they seem to be the first to harass the new guys into doing things most would consider unsafe.Comments like,"when I first started doing this,we used excavators to lower ourselves to the bottom of ditches","coffin boxes are just for the inspectors,we can have this pipe laid and covered,before anything bad can happen".
I've only got three guys working for me,one is my oldest son,22,and I tell them that if the hair on the back of their neck stands up,STOP.If you don't feel safe,you probaby are NOT.
I feel that instincts are important,if something makes you nervous,quadruple check it.We only get one mistake,and our wives are widows.
Teach the young,properly,and we all get older.

tylermckee

I was on our little yanmar mini grading between 2 houses and i was sitting less than a foot away from the one house and a guy comes walking by between me and the house as i was swinging around. Had it not been a zero tail swing machine, and i didnt notice him, he would have been in a bit of a pinch. had to have a little saftey meeting with him :bash

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
We were doing one of those really long boring site safety inductions recently and an older guy started giving the instructor a hard time about "the good old days...didn't have to sit in a classroom doing stupid lectures Blah blah....." The instructor asked the guy if he knew where all those old boys where now...when he couldn't answer the instructor replied "thats because they are all dead now". I reckon stuff the good old days. Safety appears much improved these days but any moron can screw up a good system.

I can generally get our excavator operators attention by squirting the water hose on him...if the pressure is good and a window is open.