• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

worker killed

cat 385

about 8:00 am this morning a delivery of hdpe pipe was being delivered at kennecott tailings in magna utah,a man was crushed buy a 3000 pound pipe. i know a few more details but this is what the news is reporting so i don't want to speculate, i was not there, I'm working on another kennecott site and heard through the grape vine that it was a load of 24" hdpe pipe .

JDOFMEMI

Sorry to hear that.

Truckers who haul pipe should be given some specific training, so they would have less of a chance of doing something STUPID.

About 10 years ago, I was unloading a load of 12" mortar lined steel pipe. Each of the four layers was cribbed up and chained separately. I was in a 20 ton RT crane positioned to the left side of the truck, and was unloading one piece at a time with a pipe clamp.
I had two pieces to go on the top lift, and when I picked up the one I had, the last one on the upper layer rolled to the right. I tried to block it with the piece I was carrying, and the next thing I see is the next layer down all the pipe is rolling right. As it starts rolling off of the truck, I see the driver RUN out from under the trailer, get hit by a piece, and go down as 4 or 5 pieces of pipe rolled off the truck to the ground. He was very lucky that the first piece hit him hard enough to knock him out of the path of the rest of it, and he was just beat up.
I nearly had heart failure, thinking he was dead, and set a record dismounting the crane to race around to help.
The driver had walked around the blind side of the truck, away from me and the helpers, and started unchaining the layer of pipe UNDER the one I was picking. When he popped the last binder, the load shifted, and started rolling. I could not believe it. He said he was in a hurry, and wanted to get a head start on the next layer. Figured it would not hurt. WRONG, and it nearly killed him.

Haul-Pak

Sorry to hear about that.

Can happen in a heart beat! Blink of an eye and thats it!

Got to watch your back and each other's.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Sorry to hear that.

Truckers who haul pipe should be given some specific training, so they would have less of a chance of doing something STUPID.

What do Truckers have to do with this tragedy? All he said was a worker killed, it could have fallen from a set of forks, it could have fallen out of a set of clamps, hell the person who died could have been on the pile straightening the pile up and had one roll on him. Maybe the driver did do something dumb, but if it was hdpe pipe then it was probably 20' long and that just adds to the number of hands involved in unloading it. Like Cat said, we don't know all the details so there's no point in speculating, all that does is start bashing on people, I'm sorry that a man died, but we are in the business of large moving pieces of material and equipment there's a million and one ways of getting killed, maimed, or just beat up. No matter how hard you work you always have to keep that in the back of your mind and watch your surroundings. My condolences to that mans family, having come limping home at the end of the day from doing something stupid or careless and seeing what it does to my family I can't imagine what it's like to have lost someone like that.

Ray

JDOFMEMI

Ray

Sorry if my post above came off the wrong way. My heart goes out to the family and friends of the man. I have no idea what happened there, and was certainly not bashing on anyone. The point I was trying to make is to be sure everyone involved has some training and knows what to do, so the chance of an accident is reduced.

As for the HDPE, it was probably large fusion welded stuff, and usually 50 ft long, so even harder to handle than the 20 footers you push together.

My story of the driver was to put it out there so that others would be more aware. Usually the crew recieving the stuff is experienced at handling it, but the truckers hauling it may not be. Some are, but a lot of them have no experience with pipe. The driver in my post above had been pulling vans mostly, and did not have any idea what might happen. That is why the suggestion for some training for the truckers in particular.

Anytime an accident happens that takes a life it is tragic. What makes it worse is that most are preventable if the proper safety proceedures are taken. I try to spread the lessons learned from past accidents to others, so they may learn the easy way, from others, rather than the hard way of it happening to them.

cat 385

he was the driver,the sad part is he was 81 years old,the story goes as we all have guessed he pulled the straps did not have the pipe chalked and that was all it took .

cat 385

a contractor had went to get a forklift to unload him and when the forklift arived they found the guy under the pipe,this could have been something the driver had done a million times,who knows but this time it went bad.

Mass-X

Isn't this the third fatality Ames Construction has had in Utah in the last three years?

Mass-X

My mistake. The initial details I had heard Wednesday morning was that Ames was the contractor moving the pipe, whose truck driver was killed.

cat 385

My mistake. The initial details I had heard Wednesday morning was that Ames was the contractor moving the pipe, whose truck driver was killed.
not sure who he drove for, from what i understand ames was asked by kennecott to unload the pipe and when they arrived with the fork lift they found the driver under the pipe,but as i said i was not there this is just what i was told.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Very very sad. Young or old it is a very sad day and more so for anybody who was there and the family that is left.
Frightenly easy to get it wrong.

ForestDan

Hard working guys dying on the job... what a tragedy. We have all done something that could've gone badly, and only by luck, devine intervention, or whatever, have been spared. I tell my crew, which is quite experienced, that complacency kills. Experts die doing beginner bone-headed moves. We get so used to working around danger that we can easily neglect basic safety practices. Please, lets take this as a warning to watch out for ourselves and our co-workers.