• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Work generating idea's

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I know some of you work for a company and your boss is the one that is the one that has to worrie about how to find work, With all of the CRAZY bids I have seen lately (below) I have started this as an advertisement, on radio, newspaper, 5thousand fliers, and 200 select land owner's, oh and FaceBook :rolleyes: lol

The below is one of the 3 different ad's if anyone wants to see the others i can post them as well.

In hopes of generating some extra business we have came up with an idea to help set us appart from the other guy's. And at the same time help the client.

Most will hire the guy that is the cheapest. but most of the time that means that the guy is a weekend operator with no bonding or even the ability to bond, no insurace, no business license, no government recongnition through ORCCA or CCR or OSHA or any other manditory certification's. And he figures it's o.k. because he has a 35 y.o machine. Consiquently he can run cheaper than us Profesional's. I see it all too often in the dirt as well as the snow&ice industry.

So we have decided that we will offer 0% financing for up to 36 months on ANY project, we figure that as tight as money is it is more important than ever to hire someone that is insured, bonded etc. not only to protect youre property but to protect youre families financial well being as well, So now everyone can hire a profesional!

CAll TODAY (XXX) XXX-XXXX
Rick

Recently there was a bid let for big job around me, it was 450,000cuyd of material out of that nearly HALF had to be truck and hoe'd 1 1/2 mile round trip. there was $200k worth of ag work (cost) and the job went for $495,000 :eek: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT......oh the guy left over $350k on the table :rolleyes:. how in the hell can I compete agianst that lol the winning bidder was......get this, XXXX fencing and bobcat service. LMFAO do you think they need a new estimator?

What do you think?
also, What would you consider the most cost efective form of advertising?

Pj

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
also, What would you consider the most cost efective form of advertising?

Your reputation, word of mouth. It's the only form of advertising that is free...but can cost you the most if you mess it up.

danhoe

I dont have my phone number on anything, dont advertise. Live in Michigan and got a boat/ barge full of work. I am not slowing down one bit. You need to go to the engineers you work for. Call previous contacts I provide my customers a service were I go over thew print see were I can save them money on the design and split it with them, last job I knocked off 25,000.00 for them by walking the job site before we started to dig, now I have all this guys work. Digger

Cat is ALL

A clean truck and clean machinery is by far the cheapest, and the best advertising you can find. What your fleet looks like reflects on the job you do, if you see some skanky old trailer with a truck that hasn't seen soap for 2 years then what does the mess they leave behind look like. Keep your stuff orderly.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I happen to run old machines cuzz it is what I can afford right now, and doing my darndest to come up to speed on things. I am probably the epitamy of what you describe in your ads. (But don't worry no offense taken) Do I think it is ok not to be accredited?....heck no...... Unfortunatly sometimes guys only have "cheap" as a selling point for upstart businesses. But ........still wondering.......?
Did he acutally do the job with skidloader too!! how long did it take him?

grandpa

obviously powerjoke the guy isnt going to be able to produce. Dont worry about him he is going to be out of business soon (the only bad thing about it, it seems somebody always takes their place). Marketing is one thing, wise marketing is a total different animal. So your offering zero financing for a period of time, is that wise. Seems to me the big auto manufactures tried that.... ask your self did that help them? Not. Its not easy to ride out a recession when your used to being busy but thats a recession. My two cents (only worth one cent today) is stay the course that got you where you are today, if you start making a bunch of consessions to maintain your business level are you just as guilty as the first guy? Maintain the course and dont over extend your self. You might be the only one left standing........ think about it!

Last edited:

Fordpickupman

Occupation
Estimator
obviously powerjoke the guy isnt going to be able to produce. Dont worry about him he is going to be out of business soon (the only bad thing about it, it seems somebody always takes their place). Marketing is one thing, wise marketing is a total different animal. So your offering zero financing for a period of time, is that wise. Seems to me the big auto manufactures tried that.... ask your self did that help them? Not. Its not easy to ride out a recession when your used to being busy but thats a recession. My two cents (only worth one cent today) is stay the course that got you where you are today, if you start making a bunch of consessions to maintain your business level are you just as guilty as the first guy? Maintain the course and dont over extend your self. You might be the only one left standing........ think about it!

We are starting to see this around here, companies folding leaving behind their debt and re-opening the next day under a slightly different name with less equipment. It is absolute madness. I just hope we can hang on long enough to outlast these crooks.:pointhead

joispoi

Fencing and bobcat service? Sounds like the dog who caught the firetruck....after he gets over his initial excitement he's going to be wondering "okay....now what do I do...."

Cmark

Please don't get offended, but if you're going to put an ad in the public domain, the first thing you have to think about is getting your spelling and punctuation right. At first glance, your ad doesn't look like it comes from a serious professional company.

Last edited:

joispoi

I thought the ad was a joke? :beatsme If a customer doesn't have money to pay me at the end of the job, he'll be even more reluctant to come up with the money a year or more later. Better to sit home than cultivate a customer base who is unable and unwilling to pay.:Banghead