1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Work boots

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Heavywrenching, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Heavywrenching

Heavywrenching Active Member

This is my second winter on em and it’s sketchy. They made it through last winter fine and I was impressed by the traction, for a wedge at least. But they’re worn pretty slick now and gotta be a little more careful now. That’s the only reason why I’m considering not going with another pair of wedge soles. The comfort is unreal but I’d like more traction in the long run.

DMiller and doublewide like this.
  2. Heavywrenching

Right on, I’ve been checking out the quarry style online but no where around me has them to try on

DMiller likes this.
  3. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    I think the American made Danners would be worth looking at.

DMiller and Heavywrenching like this.
  4. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

DMiller, Thanks for sharing that story about Uncle Emmet. That was interesting.

DMiller and Heavywrenching like this.
  5. materthegreater

materthegreater Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, my US made Danner Quarry boots seemed to have more delicate leather than my cheaper Chippewas. Comfort and traction are excellent though

6. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

Working in the shop had Chippawa flat soles for years rugged boot, wolverines for a while, comfortable wear out fast. Knees bothered me on the concrete all day for years, switched to Asolo 520 hiking boots, no more knee issues, I get more production out of the day because of it, nurses wear dansco clogs something about the stiff sole and rocker is good for legs, ( I think Whites works on some of this theory) same with these Asolos. $350ea but I easily make up for that in production.

DMiller, Coaldust and Heavywrenching like this.
  7. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

DMiller, Coaldust and Heavywrenching like this.
  8. dieseldog5.9

My Father Has 2 pair of whites/wesco "Corked" boots hanging on the wall from what he calls Cruising timber, and Laying out logging roads in the 70s and early 80s. When we moved from Port Angeles Washington to Northern New Hampshire in 86 I remember him shopping for work boots and saying "there wasn't a good pair of work boots to be found anywhere here" This for years was a major bone of contention for him that I remember as a child.

He later settled on Limmer Boots. I will own a set of whites motorcycle boots in the future.

9. Heavywrenching

Good to know. I have heard that before that the leather gets tore up easy on the danners

DMiller likes this.
  10. dieseldog5.9

Cheap, Fast, or Good pick 2. Seems to apply to work boots.

DMiller and Coaldust like this.
  11. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

With Whites new foreign ownership, Nicks Hand Made Boots, also in Spokane, might be worth looking at. The new owner, Steve Mowe, has a decent YouTube channel. I’ve never owned a pair of Nicks.

Whites have taken their brand international and their focus is changing. I hope they don’t do the same thing Filson did with their brand. Move away from the core business and into hipster fashion.

DMiller likes this.
  12. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

DMiller likes this.
  13. dieseldog5.9

I miss spoke, I will own a pair of Wesco motorcycle boots.

DMiller likes this.
  14. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Retired
    I have been wearing Wolverine for many years. When working full time, I could get about 1 1/2 years out of a pair. They are fairly light, can be waterproof if well cared for, and are very comfortable. Oh, I forgot to mention, inexpensive. I bought my last pair about 2 tears ago at Tractor Supply, where I have bought them for years. As I recall, at that time, they were still $99.00. As I am now semiretired, I may get another couple of years out of these.

DMiller likes this.
  15. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Carolina still has lines that are USA made. I just got my youngest daughter a set for college and all her walking on campus. She really likes them. The chippewa ones at the same store were all vietnam manf.

I get along best with my USA redwings. They still make a B width in some styles.

DMiller likes this.
  16. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

I’d like to try a pair of the USA made Redwing 875 moc toe. Those have a huge cult following. The Iron Rangers, too.

DMiller likes this.
  17. dieseldog5.9

My girlfriends son just bought a pair of the redwing 875, he is in Buisness school, apparnetly they are some sort of fashon trend, Orvis makes a version also.

Coaldust and DMiller like this.
  18. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Retired
    Most Redwings are so expensive now, that you have to win a lottery to buy a pair.

DMiller likes this.
  19. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Me too. Wolverine Trappeur-WPF. Seems like the last few years the quality has been going down steadily. I used to get 6 months out of them but that's down to 3 now. I need to find something better.

63 caveman and DMiller like this.
  20. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Anyone here wear or know someone who wears 9 /12 EEE?
    I have a couple pair of 2233 and 2245 RedWings made in USA.

DMiller likes this.