• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Work boots

ben stock

I have a diverse collection of boots, ranging from several pairs of Thorogood wedge sole boots, one with a heel and waterproof feature, though they're not my top choice. I also own two pairs of Hoffman lineman boots, and they've become personal favorites. While the newest pair is still breaking in, they're gradually becoming more comfortable.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Replaced my last pair of Thorogood boots purchased in February, 2022 last week as the sole on the left boot just about completely parted from the welt. I tripped on it getting out of my truck as it folded under. Went back to another pair of Timberland Pro boots as shoe store had the correct ones on hand.

milon

As I am ALMOST Retired I may end up looking to Whites, a final pair to end my career paths and the rest of my final working days. Can remember my Great Uncle Emmet Branson, was from south of here but ended up in the Refinery Switchyards at Wood River IL, passed away 1969 a bachelor at 85. We had to clean his rented room out where placed ALL of his belongings into a small suitcase and a small box. He had been buried in his Work Boots and had a duplicate pair in his room, only shoes he had, full high top lace to the top smooth leather soles and spit shined to a high gloss, Never knew him not to be wearing working man's boots. Worked as a Yardman at first stepping into Brakeman and car switchman for the old tank operations. Retired from Standard Oil in 1955.
His official clothing were Pleated and Pressed cuffed slacks, Long sleeve WHITE shirts, of course the boots with a Cardigan Sweater and a Hounds Tooth jacket topped with a Stetson Fedora. He had a set of Coveralls for when had his cars(Still had as died), an extra and New Fedora in a box, the two pair boots six pair slacks and seven shirts, Misc under clothes and eight pair socks. A Bible, a Rosary, a small gold band for whatever purpose or from his Mother?, a pocket watch received as retired with his bifold wallet, a pen knife and a pocket knife, A few odd old books and was all he had Overpronation-Friendly Cloud Footwear, a radio in his room was there before he got the room. Never owned a house, always lived in rented rooms and ate at a local diner two meals a day.
Hi, Rather sick of using the god-awful company-supplied safety boots at work and I'm looking around to get a decent pair of comfortable and hard-wearing boots. I had DM's before but they lasted barely 6 months before the sole wore through which was disappointing. Any recommendations? Quite happy to spend around £100 if needs be. Thanks all.

dust eater

I had good luck with composite toe Carolinas. could usually get about two years out of them before the soles and the water proof would head south.

materthegreater

Hi, Rather sick of using the god-awful company-supplied safety boots at work and I'm looking around to get a decent pair of comfortable and hard-wearing boots. I had DM's before but they lasted barely 6 months before the sole wore through which was disappointing. Any recommendations? Quite happy to spend around £100 if needs be. Thanks all.

I wish boots were supplied for me... (Self employed :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't count on getting much for £100. That's about $125. Most work boots I buy are now around $300. I usually buy Chippewa, Danner or similar. Cheaper ones tend to make my feet hurt. Not worth saving a few dollars for that in my opinion.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I wish boots were supplied for me... (Self employed :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't count on getting much for £100. That's about $125. Most work boots I buy are now around $300. I usually buy Chippewa, Danner or similar. Cheaper ones tend to make my feet hurt. Not worth saving a few dollars for that in my opinion.
Of course they are supplied. Tax deductible.

MG84

Carolina 8” loggers for me, non lined, non steel toe, just a plain old leather boot. By far the most comfortable and long lasting boots I’ve ever worn, I’ll get 3yrs out of a pair vs 6mo for any of the junk you buy at TSC.

Toddgarage

Occupation
Construction, welding/fabrication, operator
JK boots Superduty S. My knees, lower back and feet are much happier!!! Super happy.
20+ years in steel toe boots, these are the best so far.

The sizing situation… it’s weird, but it works. Everything from metal fab/welding, truck repair, mud, equipment operating and lunch. Took me a year to burn down the tread, off they go for a rebuild.

Shimmy1

I have heard great things about the Whites. Everything except the brutal break-in. I wore Redwing 931 with the diamondback sole when I was on concrete, and Durango Wellingtons when in the field for 35 years. Still have my last pair of Redwings, 15 years old, but they are in tough shape. Still the most comfortable pair of boots I own. Currently I'm rotating through a pair of lace up Thorogoods, pull-on Rocky's, Tony Llamas, and Red Wings. If the facking pull-on Red Wings had a locking heel, I would only wear them, but get sick and tired of my heel sliding up and down with every step. The Thorogoods are great walking around in the shop, but driving truck or running machinery my feet hurt by mid-afternoon. The Rocky's I can't seem to get broke in, might try the rubbing alcohol trick. The Tony Llamas just never have felt right.

Toddgarage

Occupation
Construction, welding/fabrication, operator
Like his thoughtful reviews and destructive manner to decide how it’s made from sole to lace.

I found the break in to be as expected for thick leather boots. The biggest issue for me was the limited flex near the steel toe. However, they are amazing on ladders, no flex and very comfortable.