1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wisconsin VG4D

Discussion in 'Equipment For Sale/Wanted' started by repowerguy, Mar 23, 2019.

1. repowerguy

repowerguy Senior Member

mixer truck mechanic
    55A270BA-C6D6-4514-9D8D-AF7048F1D3B3.jpeg Iv’e a well used engine that needs a new home. $100.00 or so gets it and another block with cylinders.

2. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Wish you were closer :)

I just finished reheading a W4-1770 and have another I need to do same and maybe some internal work.

3. repowerguy

repowerguy Senior Member

mixer truck mechanic
    Two words -- Road Trip!

4. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

I'm sure it would be fun.... unfortunately were swamped!!!! work is just insanely busy lately and no sign of letting up :( I guess that's a good thing though... keeps me out of trouble ;) you know like finding more projects I need....

5. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Hey repowerguy, what do you know about the oil filters on these wisconsins? :)

I got some of these w4-1770's a while back and am slowly getting them back in operation... so I was looking for an oil filter to replace the napa 1051 the previous owner had on one and of course nobody has them.... then I went by a carquest auto parts and the guy said their #85320 crosses... it's a little shorter and a bit different inside.... after looking around online I find that those numbers don't really cross??? I know the w41770 only has 5 psi oil pressure and it is probably finicky for filters because of this... so.... should I stick with trying to get the napa 1051 or call it good? I 'm leaning on finding the 1051 or actually I probably should find a manual and see what kind of numbers it talks about... :)

napa-1051-comp.jpg

6. repowerguy

repowerguy Senior Member

mixer truck mechanic
    Sorry Ronsii I'm no Wisconsin guru at all, Iv'e worked on them and used them but that's about it. What I know about them is pretty small indeed. This one I have came with a L-35 New Holland skid steer as a project, I'm going to put in a small Kubota diesel from a junk Bobcat trencher instead as a upgrade. The VG4D is in my way and if the right person asked, I would give it to them.

7. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Now I really wish I's closer to ya' :)

The l35 sounds like it ought to be an interesting repower :)

8. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Napa gold 1051 crosses to a Baldwin bt341 in my old baldwin catalog.

Ed

Ronsii likes this.
  9. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Thanks, I'll see if anyone has them or similar tomorrow :)

10. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Is this the engine that has the spike sticking into the oil filter center? And the oil filter media looks like hair?

11. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    That does sound familiar.

I did some looking on line and the W4-1770 should use a Wisconsin filter number RV52 and NAPA crosses that to a NAPA 1051 or if you want a longer version a 1050 and the RV52 does go to a Baldwin BT341

Not that it is of any help to you but my local NAPA store shows 2 of the 1051 filters in stock!

Ronsii likes this.
  12. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

In the last few years I have been far more impressed with NAPA/Wix filter availability and cross reference than any competitor. I have a good store here in town that has or can get every strange filter I need, usually in stock, if not I can get it in immediately.

13. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Been too busy to get anywhere but work.... I tend to go to napa for parts usually but it has to be a special trip as the napa I like is the opposite direction of our normal work... however I think I can get over there this weekend unless work gets in the way... ;)

14. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I have one also you can stop by on the way to get repowerguys and pickup another.