1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Wirtgen or Cat 2 Meter drum

Discussion in 'Mills' started by Aussie Leroy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Aussie Leroy

Aussie Leroy Senior Member

Just looking for some feed back on which machine you prefer in 2 meter wide drum, I had a Cat PM102 1 Meter drum and was not that happy.but they tell me the 2 Meter Cat PM 200 is as good or better than the Wirtgen . I would like to hear your coments, Cheers Leroy

2. milling_drum

milling_drum Senior Member

asphalt mill operator (ret)
    For my 2 cents worth it would have to be which ever machine weighs more because if you get into a deep cut its nice to have some extra @ss:)

The topcon grade system is nice but its really what the operator prefers....Wirtgen anybody can run but it can fall out from time too time....heard that again today about a W210. The 200 wins in my opinion only because Wirtgen are already everywhere. In pictures looking at them they might steer a little better than a Wirtgen....

3. Toegrinder

Toegrinder Well-Known Member

Milling Foreman
    I'm gonna have to disagree with the steering statement. I can easily cut a small bullnose with a 210 which is a pretty damn tight radius without repositioning. If it's the controls for the steering you're talking about I've had nor heard of problems there either...just my two cents :)

4. Aussie Leroy

Aussie Leroy Senior Member

milling_drum; The weight is important Cat's 30.900kg, Wirtgen 210 27.000kg i know when ripping rock with dozers more weight is better

5. milling_drum

milling_drum Senior Member

asphalt mill operator (ret)
    Please lets not confuse...

If both machines were put in front of me....I'd hop on that Wirtgen without a second thought. The only reason I will publicly endorse the other machine is because they are the underdog and thats something unusual for a CAT product.