• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wirtgen 210

UltraClassic

We have a new W210. So far it's a dream to work with. You can easily sit down and run this machine comfortably. In my opinion this machine is as cutting edge as it gets right now. As far as comparing it to the W2100, I don't know, I've never run one. But I heard a 2100 will walk away from it in deep cuts.

I think that Wirtgen made it so the drum will run while in reverse to save clutch wear.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Hi everyone I have 1100 hrs on our 210 and have been trying to resolve the rear traction issue, Wirtgen has tried with computer updates but with no luck comments welcome.
Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2czOrpIPg&NR=1&feature=fvwp its youtube (Wirtgen W210 rear traction problems)

Any word from Wirtgen on an idea to fix? Other than a massive counterweight? I was cutting 2.5" yesterday with a brand new set of teeth and couldn't get more than 45 fpm because the rears were just slipping and spinning like crazy. We are looking at buying a 12 foot mill here soon, and I have been excited about the W250. However after seeing and experiencing this traction issue, I am nervous the 250 will do the same thing, especially with a 12' drum on it...

jenstarltd

Hey Toegrinder we are getting update 7 next week I'll keep you posted . Make sure Bob deJong knows about it (strength in #'s) What # is your 210 our's is 0017 do you know anyone else with a 210 I think Wirtgen fudged up . They know me in Nashville LOL Mark from Jenstar

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
The video that Jenstar posted shows the tracks slipping at different times, this means it is all directly related to weight. Wirtgen have the funny traction control system and I'm pretty sure you might have a fault or a bad ground maybe to blame. Toegrinder if your sinking a 12 ft machine anything past 4 inches, you know whatever losses to production are a result of its simply too big.

Always pay attention to mouldboard pressure front and back, that can cause traction problems. Always try to keep the machine as level as possible in the cut.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
,.M

Hey Toegrinder we are getting update 7 next week I'll keep you posted . Make sure Bob deJong knows about it (strength in #'s) What # is your 210 our's is 0017 do you know anyone else with a 210 I think Wirtgen fudged up . They know me in Nashville LOL Mark from Jenstar

What does the update 7 change? My 210 is 0136. I do talk with another guy in the state who has a 210, he hasn't mention any problems with traction. I know Bob quite well, I would talk to him at least once a week with an old 2000 I was running that had electric problems daily...what a pile.

jenstarltd

Hi guys We have a 2005 w2000 4000 hrs it's pretty good so far and don't get me wrong we love the w210 it's awsome to run we just don't like slippin. Mark

jenstarltd

Hello everyone well we are off to a good start this season after a couple of weeks of rain. Anyway our W210 seems to be working better the last update during the winter did something ,so far so good.

jeffvega

favourite buttons?

sorry to change the subject but I couldn't start a new thread. We just bought a 210 and are hitting the ground for the first time this monday. I was wondering if anyone new what the favorite buttons are for? there is one on the display and two on either control panel?

milling_drum

Occupation
OMG I love it!

Well since its a Wirtgen, Favorite buttons means "I dont know how to run a milling machine, please help!". Just kidding:)

They are most likely operation tweaks, conveyor boost, load control, stuff like that.

jeffvega

Ok I guess the mechanic that trains us ought to know. I come from running cmi's gallion's and now wirtgens for the last 5 or 6 years. sometimes the manuals arent to explaining on certain things. the problem is the mechanic is a doofus and I usually end up training him so i dont think he'll be much help

jenstarltd

Ok I guess the mechanic that trains us ought to know. I come from running cmi's gallion's and now wirtgens for the last 5 or 6 years. sometimes the manuals arent to explaining on certain things. the problem is the mechanic is a doofus and I usually end up training him so i dont think he'll be much help

Hi Jeffvega good luck with your W210 we have had ours for ove a year now and its great Josh at Wirtgen came to show us the startup he was ok and we could understand him LOL
Any questions glad to help.

jeffvega

did they say to you what those favorite buttons were for?

also anything to watch out for from someone with some experience with it?

jenstarltd

did they say to you what those favorite buttons were for?

also anything to watch out for from someone with some experience with it?

I'm not sure what buttons your talkin about a pic would help.
Watch rear crawler traction we wore 50% of the rear track pads in 1000 hrs Wirtgen pro rated them at least but I'm sure its fixed now Good Luck

jeffvega

well the first day went well. Man this is a cadillac :D Anyway I found out what the buttons are for, one controls the light on the front of the mirror (if so equipped) to tell the truck to move and the other is for some kind of optional gps grade control. My only complaint so far is having only two grade boxes. I don't like the idea of my groundman putting the machine down for me and also he has a hard time doing anything technical on the side with no box. were working on getting a third. Boy howdy this thing has power for its size

milling_drum

Occupation
Reads like your having a good time:)

One of the things about Wirtgen, once you get good with the control panel; you really don't need a groundman unless you are scarifying concrete and need a 100% visual behind the machine.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
well the first day went well. Man this is a cadillac :D Anyway I found out what the buttons are for, one controls the light on the front of the mirror (if so equipped) to tell the truck to move and the other is for some kind of optional gps grade control. My only complaint so far is having only two grade boxes. I don't like the idea of my groundman putting the machine down for me and also he has a hard time doing anything technical on the side with no box. were working on getting a third. Boy howdy this thing has power for its size

It's not a gps grade control, there is an option to mount an additional hydraulic sensor in front of the drum between the lower conveyor and the side plate. It runs about $3500 per side but let me tell you it is worth every penny. It was the first thing i ordered and it makes you wonder how you ever got along without it on roads without curb. I agree on the two grade control boxes...should have come with three, bout $3600 for an extra one.

jeffvega

Anyone figured out how to disable the rear steer safety that slows you down when you least need or expect it, especially in the middle of a radius wedge grinding causing your truck to run out from under you. We were able to disable it on our w2000 easy enough but don't know enough about the 210 yet

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Anyone figured out how to disable the rear steer safety that slows you down when you least need or expect it, especially in the middle of a radius wedge grinding causing your truck to run out from under you. We were able to disable it on our w2000 easy enough but don't know enough about the 210 yet

There is a way, i disabled mine, but it might be kinda tricky to explain. I took a picture but its on my puter and i wont be back to it til friday. Open your electrical box at the back of machine where all the breakers are. In the third row of plugs from the left, there is a green plug at the very bottom. On the harness that goes to that plug there is a white wire with heat shrink on the end of it covering a terminal. Take the heat shrink off that wire to expose the terminal, and plug the terminal into the open spot on the bottom right of the green plug. Voila, no more slowy slowy and looking like you dont know what you're doing. Let me know if you still need the pic.