• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wiring a kill switch

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
What’s the best way to wire in a kill switch on a cat 259d?

anybody have any diy ideas for security?
I’ll be leaving my skid on a few jobs coming up and would like some additional assurance that it’ll stay on the job

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Easy way pull fuse or relay. You could wire a switch into small starter wire.
Tweakers could still take a screwdriver and arc the starter terminals tho, no?
I think I’ve heard of wiring the kill switch to the fuel system instead?

heymccall

There are a myriad of ways to disable a skidsteer. The secret is to make the disable components durable, so as not to disable the unit when it is not supposed to be disabled (when you are running it).

You can intercept the crank wire, the ECM power, the pilot lockout solenoid, the brake solenoid, or even the key switch feed. It is really up to you.

You can install a hidden toggle switch, a sealed bosch style relay, or even just a simple weather sealed plug that you unplug when necessary.

You can even use a Bluetooth activated relay.

Last edited:

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
You can intercept the crank wire, the ECM power, the pilot lockout solenoid, the brake solenoid, or even the key switch feed. It is really up to you.

You can install a hidden toggle switch

Say I tap into the ECM power for a toggle switch, if the toggle switch fails while machine is running would that screw up anything?

Midnightmoon

It will set some codes and shut down if you loose power to ecu I wouldnt cutnpower to ecu. I would put something in that shuts down interlock system fuel system or ignition system. If someone wants to mess with your machine theres nothing you can do. The switch could be found a blue tooth relay is a cool trick but it stands out even if you paint black. If bluetooth relay fails while your using machine it will be a pain if you dont have a spare relay. The switch can be found.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is your 259D equipped with MSS (Machine Security System)..? If you bought it used then it may have it and you are not even aware of it being there.
The S/N would tell us. With MSS you can program the machine power system to be shut down outside working hours, at weekends, etc, etc, in a way that nobody can energize it without the MSS Code. Sounds like just what you need.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Is your 259D equipped with MSS (Machine Security System)..? If you bought it used then it may have it and you are not even aware of it being there.
The S/N would tell us. With MSS you can program the machine power system to be shut down outside working hours, at weekends, etc, etc, in a way that nobody can energize it without the MSS Code. Sounds like just what you need.

serial# ftl08367

that would be a great feature!
Bought it used recently and have been working on getting it going.
It does have what looks to be a gps antenna on top of the cab?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Assuming you do not have the key code start panel in the upper right hand corner of the cab?