• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wiper ring/seal identification - Hydraulic valve spool question.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
20190219_210106.jpg I wonder if anyone would know the actual name of the white ring in this picture? Sort of like a wiper ring, but a little different. The raised "lip" fits inside the ID of the metal retainer pictured. It puts pressure on the actual o-ring that seals against the spool. It's like a back up ring with a lip.

Looking at the profiles of commonly available wiper ring seals, which have a similar shape, I am striking out. And the back up rings don't have a lip. I will admit that the seals I am looking for are geared more towards cylinders than valves. I have not yet found a good site for the valves.

Valve is from a Gehl 4640. Parts book does not break the valve down to that level of detail.
Spool is 14mm. Valve body itself is a HydroControl

Thanks

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
2nd question.

This spool looks the have the cover crimped over the detent spring. I have not forced it, but it will not come apart easily. 2nd opinion?

20190219_211206.jpg

The spring assemblies from the other sections have been assembled such that they will not come apart, so i think that may also be the case with the other spool.

Reason for wanting it apart is to check/replace the spring, as the other two are broken. This 3rd one seems ok, but i can only see about 1/4" of it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any chance of a make on the valve itself? Or numbers of some kind?
Seems like a good hydraulic shop might have those wipers, seems I have seen them over the years.

Worse come to it I'd be tempted to just replace the orings and reuse them. Especially if they fit pretty good on the spools.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
20190220_164245.jpg Valve is a hydro control, or hydrocontrol.

O ring id is very near to a -113, and won't be a problem, but the "wiper seal is more elusive.

Nothing in the hercules book other than a flat backup ring, which may work well enough.

Nothing in my parker or cat books any closer.

I hadn't had a chance yet to stop by a shop.

My problem is i am missing one of the wipers. Like you said, the spools fit good, so am leaning towards just using a flat backup ring of the closest size. It won't have the raised "wiper" profile, but if it's on the bottom, under the spring cover, it should stay pretty clean anyway.

Vetech63

The white ring is a dirt wiper. They are a hard plastic and when installed it prevents dirt from entering the area of the oring which can cause a rubbing action on your spool....which pretty much rubs the chrome material off. I have never seen a spool spring cap that has been crimped on. If that is the boom spool, it is detented with small spring loaded balls. It will come apart with some force, but have it in an area that you can find those little balls if they get away from you.