• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter Works

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
We ended up with a half inch of rain then it flash froze everything turning in to snow ended up with an inch with 40 to 50 mph winds so made a mess out of the roads drifts were hard and snow pushed hard kinda crazy in 12.5 hours I burned 94 gallons of fuel and a half of a tank of def my fuel guy has been filling my fuel barrel weekly this winter crazy amount of fuel I’ve went through.

colson04

Sounds like everyone is having some crazy February weather.

We were 55°F, light winds on Tuesday, snow all gone, beautiful spring-like day. Wednesday had 40s for the high and cooling off throughout the day with high winds, 25-35mph all day. Thursday it started drizzling in the morning and the temperatures dropped off to just below freezing which brought a lot of ice on everything. After dark, it kept raining and the temp continued to drop. Sometime after midnight it finally switched to snow, but at this point, there was ¼"+ ice on everything. The temp dropped all the way to about 15°F. We picked up an inch of snow, but all the schools closed Friday morning due to road conditions. I went to a hydraulic shop to pick up some parts Friday morning and couldn't hardly walk across their parking lot because of the ice. The sun came out and temps rose to upper 20s again. With the full sun, the roads were clear and dry by 5pm. Today, its supposed to be full sun and upper 40s again, staying above freezing for 3 or 4 days again. Been a very mild winter overall for us.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
We got a potential of a big storm coming in on Tuesday through Thursday 6 to 18 inches of snow 20 to 40mph winds for the duration of the storm things are going to get very interesting if we get all that snow with wind I have room for it on my roads although lots of my other townships who drag wing are going to have a real tough time getting roads open.

Jonas302

4th day of ice cutting after our inch of rain I really wanted to keep the nice easy plowing winter road longer but they shined like glass between the 3 graders we have about 200 miles done and start on another 40 mile township tomorrow that we don't usually plow but needs some help with ice and snow pack

Attachments

• 20230218_105131.jpg
    20230218_105131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

20/80

Occupation
operator
4th day of ice cutting after our inch of rain I really wanted to keep the nice easy plowing winter road longer but they shined like glass between the 3 graders we have about 200 miles done and start on another 40 mile township tomorrow that we don't usually plow but needs some help with ice and snow pack
Are you using stingers/sandviks for cutting the ice on your roads?

Jonas302

Yes they are loaded with stingers it had got below zero and that ice cut hard front wheels in the air most of the day it was to slippery to steer with them anyways when it warmed up on the afternoon got quite a bit easier

Slopemeter is the first thing that goes on when we get a grader they help greatly to carry a constant crown boss has been in a greater since 1968 and won't run with out one. Slopemeter brand is made here in Minnesota so you know they are good

Attachments

• 20230218_114326.jpg
    20230218_114326.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230218_113957.jpg
    20230218_113957.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Our snow and ice all left yesterday, temps in low 50Fs.

I have a 15 mile view to the South at my house. This morning at 0700 looking as far as I could see to the SW, across the horizon to as far as I could see to the SE was a constant string of snow geese. 10s of thousands of them. They started their day early. Usually don't see them that heavy until mid morning.

Also saw three Deer grazing in the CRP field in front of my house. They were obviously grubbing new growth on the ground.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Yes they are loaded with stingers it had got below zero and that ice cut hard front wheels in the air most of the day it was to slippery to steer with them anyways when it warmed up on the afternoon got quite a bit easier

Slopemeter is the first thing that goes on when we get a grader they help greatly to carry a constant crown boss has been in a greater since 1968 and won't run with out one. Slopemeter brand is made here in Minnesota so you know they are good
I have been using stingers for a long time now, use them year round, when using them for ice blading during the winter works I always take every second one out putting in a plug to keep the hole from wearing, you will find that your machine pushes through the ice easier and breaks the ice alot better, keeps your front wheels on the ground also, I always carry the plow in the front for extra weight, some here don't, there's my tip for today.:)

Attachments

• IMG_3946.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 14

Welder Dave

I'm curious how the individual stingers would last in dirt. I made a heavy drag beam to go on a 3pt. hitch and welded 15 bucket tooth shanks on it to act as a heavy harrow. It works great but the teeth wear much faster because you can drive faster than a bucket ever goes through the ground. The current teeth are worn flat and I was thinking about welding carbide tipped stinger adapters on them. Would the shanks wear out too fast for the carbide tips to be worthwhile? Is there something else that could last longer than standard bucket teeth?

20/80

Occupation
operator
I'm curious how the individual stingers would last in dirt. I made a heavy drag beam to go on a 3pt. hitch and welded 15 bucket tooth shanks on it to act as a heavy harrow. It works great but the teeth wear much faster because you can drive faster than a bucket ever goes through the ground. The current teeth are worn flat and I was thinking about welding carbide tipped stinger adapters on them. Would the shanks wear out too fast for the carbide tips to be worthwhile? Is there something else that could last longer than standard bucket teeth?
Stingers would last longer, but do wear too, easy to replace though, I always rotate mine around to get the most wear before replacing.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Stingers would last longer, but do wear too, easy to replace though, I always rotate mine around to get the most wear before replacing.
They look like the teeth on a milling machine. Do you have to keep the free moving. I know on the miller, if they stop spinning, they wear faster. The fella from miller said they used to try to keep them free, but it was cheaper to just change them as they started to wear on one side.
How do you like that slopemeter? I'm thinking of getting one to use for my oval track with 3 to 4% banked corners.
We use that same slope meter on all our graders. Very well made. You just need to remember that it reads where you are, and not where you are going. If you want 3%, and the meter starts to show 5, chances are you need to go back to where it shows 3 and judge your cut as you feel it in your ass. Just like a dozer, your best indicator are your eyes and ass. I wear a ball cap low on my forehead sometimes as the back ground can give you a false sense of grade, and the peak of the hat can block out the back ground. Having the slope meter, can verify your suspicions.

20/80

Occupation
operator
They look like the teeth on a milling machine. Do you have to keep the free moving. I know on the miller, if they stop spinning, they wear faster. The fella from miller said they used to try to keep them free, but it was cheaper to just change them as they started to wear on one side.

We use that same slope meter on all our graders. Very well made. You just need to remember that it reads where you are, and not where you are going. If you want 3%, and the meter starts to show 5, chances are you need to go back to where it shows 3 and judge your cut as you feel it in your ass. Just like a dozer, your best indicator are your eyes and ass. I wear a ball cap low on my forehead sometimes as the back ground can give you a false sense of grade, and the peak of the hat can block out the back ground. Having the slope meter, can verify your suspicions.
Yes you have to keep them freed up, I use tranny fluid poured over them, seems to work the best, keeps the rust away in the sockets and the spring retainer on the stinger itself, but after a while they will wear in and you get a flat spot, I turn them to get the longest wear out of them, easy to do, got just about 4 years out of my last blades on the H series, just replaced stingers when I needed to.

Welder Dave

Thanks for the info. on stingers. I don't think they'd turn for my application and the shanks would wear. I saw an ad for hardfacing used on bucket teeth so I think I'll try that. Hardface the middle so they retain a point better and hopefully wear longer.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Thanks for the info. on stingers. I don't think they'd turn for my application and the shanks would wear. I saw an ad for hardfacing used on bucket teeth so I think I'll try that. Hardface the middle so they retain a point better and hopefully wear longer.
I always get each end of the outer blades hard surfaced and in about a foot on the back from the ends, these new stinger blades I'm using has a extra wear plate that bolts on with the blades when you install them, helps save the surface of the main blade, we are using the cheapest blades so extra has to be done to them to make them last, there are stinger blades out there that are completely hard surface plated and last forever, but pricy.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I always get each end of the outer blades hard surfaced and in about a foot on the back from the ends, these new stinger blades I'm using has a extra wear plate that bolts on with the blades when you install them, helps save the surface of the main blade, we are using the cheapest blades so extra has to be done to them to make them last, there are stinger blades out there that are completely hard surface plated and last forever, but pricy.
That's unlike a province to cheap out on stuff.....

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Well we’re staring down the barrel of a good 3 day blizzard here 11 to 18 inches of snow and 45 to 50 mph winds going to be a big mess hopefully the forecasters miss this one but I’m doubtful.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well we’re staring down the barrel of a good 3 day blizzard here 11 to 18 inches of snow and 45 to 50 mph winds going to be a big mess hopefully the forecasters miss this one but I’m doubtful.
We haven't had a three day storm in the longest time, maybe 9 hour storms at the most anymore, none of the new operators have never experienced a good old 3 day storm, when I first started with the department there were lots of them and lots of snow to push with them, have fun.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We haven't had a three day storm in the longest time, maybe 9 hour storms at the most anymore, none of the new operators have never experienced a good old 3 day storm, when I first started with the department there were lots of them and lots of snow to push with them, have fun.
Remember White Juan in 2004?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army

I've always been a one man show. Back in the day when we had a couple multi day storms each Winter I lived in the Grader. Run until you can't figure out why the blade is moving???? Oh,,,,, I'm pulling/pushing the lever and didn't realize it. Back into a farm field gateway and crash in the seat for 30 minutes, then back at it. Didn't have a Cell Phone. Couple times a day my wife would get in the 4wd truck and come looking for me. Once she saw me still working she'd go back home. I don't miss those days at all. I'm not as hearty as I once was.....