• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter Works

20/80

Occupation
operator
Yes, looking forward to your review and some pics in action, so that plow angles left and right which would be really nice option, your front lift attachment on your grader is quite different then mine, I just have the single ram with lift chains and a one way plow, really like that set up you have

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
It looks a lot bigger than 40x60.
A Grader is 30-ish feet long. I've not measured our shop, but am guessing it's 30x50. Houses the V Plow, a hydraulic angle front blade, a wing, the grader and a fuel barrel. I like his size much better!!! Plus his is heated. Ours is a pole barn with electricity and concrete floor.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Wife and I were talking about Generators the other day. Neither of us could remember the last time our electricity did more than just blink. Most times I only know it did because the shop radio is off when I go out there.

I told her I had a lot of Internet friends who have whole house generators. Seems to be popular in the NE USA.

We are 40F degrees today with a stiff 15mph wind and sunny. Our little dab of snow will be gone by evening. Tomorrow we will start a cold spell. I may go out then and move my little bit of gravel around again to fill in whatever ruts showed up. My roads aren't soft, just sloppy.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I was out today fixing up some back roads, material was very soft and water logged, we are going into a deep freeze for abit so hoping they will freeze dry, got alot of bad pot holes fixed today, was thinking about my last post concerning the power outages in my area today as a I was working, kinda laughed to myself looking at some of the power poles that have been holding wires up sense the 40s, lol, old crook it cedar poles, that's what we have been dealing with, anyway the power company did a semi upgrade to the grid system in the early 60s, you don't have a home generator here your in the dark, lol

Jonas302

Tried out pulling some ice teeth with the truck to groove ahead of the sander worked quite well I will add another 3 feet of teeth next time

Attachments

• 20230127_145335.jpg
    20230127_145335.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Our Power Co-op was originally set up with loop service. If your powerline ran North/South past your property it could be disconnected from one of those directions and you still had power. Over the years things deteriorated. And the Co-op got lazy about clearing brush. Took a few decades, but finally the trees got big enough to be hanging over the lines. Everywhere. 30 years ago we went thru a lot of blackouts. The Co-op gave up on the loop service wherever they could. And they started working hard on the brush/trees. I can't recall any lines in my area that have tree limbs hanging over the lines. Now they spray the small brush every 3-4 years. We just don't have outages anymore.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Tried out pulling some ice teeth with the truck to groove ahead of the sander worked quite well I will add another 3 feet of teeth next time

I have a set of SanVick (sp) cutters. 20 years ago it was common for us to get ice. I used them at least once every Winter. The last time I used them for ice was 15 years ago. They work very well.

Jonas302

We have had so much ice this year the cloride roads are the worst they melt the snow a little and form a very hard clear ice at the bottom it usually works to keep a little more snow pack on so they are white instead of clear and shiny but all the rain changes that

Usually run the teeth on graders this was a bit of experiment to use them on the underbody

2 of the graders carry another moldboard on the ripper with teeth so we can chip and plow at the same time or go over a intersection a few times with out having to change blades

The power COOP here is similar when I was a kid Dad did a lot of tree cutting away from the lines now they have the entire right of way cleared and power is very reliable it was out for about 6 hours in a snow ice storm this year thats the longest in probably 10-15 years we had fuel in the pickup transfer tanks so we were able to keep plowing and not start a generator

Attachments

• 20230127_133617.jpg
    20230127_133617.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

20/80

Occupation
operator
Our Power Co-op was originally set up with loop service. If your powerline ran North/South past your property it could be disconnected from one of those directions and you still had power. Over the years things deteriorated. And the Co-op got lazy about clearing brush. Took a few decades, but finally the trees got big enough to be hanging over the lines. Everywhere. 30 years ago we went thru a lot of blackouts. The Co-op gave up on the loop service wherever they could. And they started working hard on the brush/trees. I can't recall any lines in my area that have tree limbs hanging over the lines. Now they spray the small brush every 3-4 years. We just don't have outages anymore.
Yeah, that's our problem, our private utility power company has been pocketing the money and not cutting back the tree's, any amount of wind the tree's take the power out every time, before the utility went private the province alway's had the tree's cut back and sprayed, never had very many outages in those day's.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We call them stingers here, I run them year round on my grader, in the winter for ice blading I always take every second one out, it breaks ice better and your machine pushes easier through the ice, makes deep grooves in the harder ice.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The boys on the sand trucks were busy today. Real mess. I went around and cleaned up some windrows, and spots where cars hade been parked during the storm. Going out a 3am to try and get a bunch hauled before the next little dump on Monday morning.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We have had so much ice this year the cloride roads are the worst they melt the snow a little and form a very hard clear ice at the bottom it usually works to keep a little more snow pack on so they are white instead of clear and shiny but all the rain changes that

Usually run the teeth on graders this was a bit of experiment to use them on the underbody

2 of the graders carry another moldboard on the ripper with teeth so we can chip and plow at the same time or go over a intersection a few times with out having to change blades

The power COOP here is similar when I was a kid Dad did a lot of tree cutting away from the lines now they have the entire right of way cleared and power is very reliable it was out for about 6 hours in a snow ice storm this year thats the longest in probably 10-15 years we had fuel in the pickup transfer tanks so we were able to keep plowing and not start a generator

A neighboring Township used an 8ft section of an old grader moldboard to make a "dozer" blade for the front of their JD grader. It has a teeth blade on it all the time. Operator says it's handy to bust up ice and stop signs and intersections. He says it's a bit hard to control as it wants to "grab and suck down" but it beats nothing.

I carry a dozer blade unless I need the V Plow. I use a smooth cutting edge. It's handy for widening large intersections. But mostly I carry it for front tire weight.

colson04

For years, tree maintenance occurred when a tree was on a line. Our semi-rural area had very frequent power outages after any windy spell. Ten years ago, we had a massive ice storm right before Christmas followed by a week of near zero temperatures. You couldn't drive a mile without seeing a line torn down. Something like 100,000 people were affected by the outage and it took almost two weeks to get cleared up and and power restored. Personal generators became scarce to buy anywhere within a couple hours of here. The public outcry was loud enough and reached far enough that the power companies actively started clearing right of ways of any brushy vegetation. Today, they're staying on top of it and power outages have become almost non-existent. I have a portable generator that I maintain for backup, but haven't needed in 2 years now.

As for roads, we were completely thawed and raining a week ago. We've received 6-8" of snow this week which means lots of ice on all roadways and soft ground under a thick blanket of snow. Don't pull your truck off the gravel because it'll be stuck in a mire of muck if you do.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
For years, tree maintenance occurred when a tree was on a line. Our semi-rural area had very frequent power outages after any windy spell. Ten years ago, we had a massive ice storm right before Christmas followed by a week of near zero temperatures. You couldn't drive a mile without seeing a line torn down. Something like 100,000 people were affected by the outage and it took almost two weeks to get cleared up and and power restored. Personal generators became scarce to buy anywhere within a couple hours of here. The public outcry was loud enough and reached far enough that the power companies actively started clearing right of ways of any brushy vegetation. Today, they're staying on top of it and power outages have become almost non-existent. I have a portable generator that I maintain for backup, but haven't needed in 2 years now.

As for roads, we were completely thawed and raining a week ago. We've received 6-8" of snow this week which means lots of ice on all roadways and soft ground under a thick blanket of snow. Don't pull your truck off the gravel because it'll be stuck in a mire of muck if you do.

The moderate temps we have had most of the Winter would have created the same muddy mess as you and others describe if we had went into Winter with normal or excessive moisture. We are borderline drought so my roads have held up.

Seems from the posts concerning electric Co-ops most have improved their services by maintaining power line vegetation. I wonder, was there no financial resources to dedicate to that problem then?