• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter Works

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I see the CB Highlands got a lot of snow. We are in for snow all weekend. Never fails.... company Christmas party.... snow storm.
We're doing our annual Christmas Party in my shop tonight. Cold temps but no snow.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I see the CB Highlands got a lot of snow. We are in for snow all weekend. Never fails.... company Christmas party.... snow storm.
Yes, they are snowmobiling there in certain spots, whole different world in the CB Highlands and surrounding communities than in my neck of the woods when it comes to snow.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Got all my roads opened up tankful if got cold so I had pretty decent traction so didn’t need chains probably have to ice blade my roads next week here are a few pictures of some drifts I pushed through going to be a long winter if we keep getting the snow and wind.4D0848C8-3E53-4E24-B8EA-D1A4F5A887E0.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BA9018F-8D43-43BA-93FA-01BA76752E1F.jpeg
    6BA9018F-8D43-43BA-93FA-01BA76752E1F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Our forecast keeps changing. This morning they are saying "major winter storm watch" for Thursday. High temp of 5F. Low of -13F. 3-5" of snow. 25-35mph wind with higher gusts possible.

If that happens I'll have some plow pics to add to 140s. :eek:

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Excellent pics.

I agree on sloping the bank. I also try to use as much speed as I can to throw snow away from the road. Even moldboarding snow I run 14-18 mph.

This morning they increased our snow numbers for Thursday. But the killer is the wind. They also increased that. Starting Wednesday evening thru Friday night, 30mph +, gusts up to 50mph.

If we only get a couple inches it'll drift my roads. I'll wait until Wednesday to make a decision about how to equip the grader. I won't put my wing on. I'll probably carry the plow. Wait to see about chains. My roadbeds are dry and bare so there should be enough traction to get me thru this one without chains.

I have a young man that helps me during bad snow. He texted me this morning about helping later this week. He's a dozer owner/operator. So he's good help and he isn't busy with the dozer during snow storms. :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We dodged a bullet. Barely got an inch of snow. Wind is howling at 20mph with blustery gusts well over 30mph. Supposed to blow like this thru Saturday morning, 48hrs. It's -5F at 9 a.m. Won't warm much today. Lows in minus teens tonight.

I've got the grader here at home, sitting in the machine shed, plugged in. I'm going to go look at roads in a minute but don't expect to crank the grader at all.

Stupid weather swings. Forecasted highs in upper 40s beginning Monday.

20221222_084325.jpg

20/80

Occupation
operator
We dodged a bullet. Barely got an inch of snow. Wind is howling at 20mph with blustery gusts well over 30mph. Supposed to blow like this thru Saturday morning, 48hrs. It's -5F at 9 a.m. Won't warm much today. Lows in minus teens tonight.

I've got the grader here at home, sitting in the machine shed, plugged in. I'm going to go look at roads in a minute but don't expect to crank the grader at all.

Stupid weather swings. Forecasted highs in upper 40s beginning Monday.

View attachment 275670
Know the feeling, major rain and wind event for us tomorrow than flash freeze, thinking no power for Christmas day to cook the turkey, our power grid is patches on patches, we had a power crew here from Vermont "thank god" to help with Hurricane Fiona mess, great guy's, hard workers, expecting lots of wash outs and downed tree's, just wonderful for the holiday's, what a nice present.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Know the feeling, major rain and wind event for us tomorrow than flash freeze, thinking no power for Christmas day to cook the turkey, our power grid is patches on patches, we had a power crew here from Vermont "thank god" to help with Hurricane Fiona mess, great guy's, hard workers, expecting lots of wash outs and downed tree's, just wonderful for the holiday's, what a nice present.
Our power grid has improved steadily over the past 15 years. Rarely have power outages. I'm talking about a brief outage maybe once in 5-6 years. We are very Blessed.

Wind has howled all day. Drove some of my roads this evening. Not enough snow to cause any drifting. Just brutally cold. We are -15F at 6 p.m. Wind steady at 20+ mph with gusts. Got another 36 hours of it coming.

I spent all day in my Son's new shop doing interior work. In a T shirt. Parked my truck in so it would be warm when I came home. :)

20/80

Occupation
operator
Rain has started mixed with wet snow, the winds are starting to howl, power will be out soon for here, power outages are showing up all over the province, nice

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We were blustery all day today. 20-30mph. High of 1F. Will be windy thru the night. Easing up tomorrow.

oarwhat

Be glad you're not in Buffalo,NY. Blizzard of 2022 here. Winds 40 mph gusts have been 60 mph for the last 9 hours with heavy snow. Supposed to keep up through 10 PM tomorrow night. 36 hour duration. Snow should stop then but winds still 30 gusting to 40 . . Driving ban everywhere. Zero visibility. Glad I don't plow much anymore

20/80

Occupation
operator
Be glad you're not in Buffalo,NY. Blizzard of 2022 here. Winds 40 mph gusts have been 60 mph for the last 9 hours with heavy snow. Supposed to keep up through 10 PM tomorrow night. 36 hour duration. Snow should stop then but winds still 30 gusting to 40 . . Driving ban everywhere. Zero visibility. Glad I don't plow much anymore
We would be screwed if that happened here, with all the cut backs, all our big plow trucks have been taken out of the system, not sure what a epoke will push, but that's what there replacing everything with, we do have a few graders though.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We would be screwed here. Our roads are antiquated with maybe 25% of them elevated to minimize drifting. In your situation I would have 8-10ft drifts all the way across my roads in places. :eek:

Caterpillar Kate

View attachment 275410 View attachment 275411 View attachment 275412 Spent the day yesterday cleaning roads up getting the pushed back and sloping the banks I find snow will blow right on through if I slope the vs just ridging it up making a snow fence here are a few pictures I took yesterday
This is my first winter plowing snow. All my roads in the municipality are pushed back and or sloped. The other day another grader operator came through my roads and bared the shoulder on many of my roads. Leaving a ridge a couple feet off the road. Not sure how to go about dealing with it, but the snow is getting caught in the ridges and making drifts across my roads.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
This is my first winter plowing snow. All my roads in the municipality are pushed back and or sloped. The other day another grader operator came through my roads and bared the shoulder on many of my roads. Leaving a ridge a couple feet off the road. Not sure how to go about dealing with it, but the snow is getting caught in the ridges and making drifts across my roads.
Welcome to HEF.

I suppose that ridge of snow is now a frozen brick? That will suck. You'll deal with it the rest of the Winter unless you can go back over them and slope it?

Caterpillar Kate

Welcome to HEF.

I suppose that ridge of snow is now a frozen brick? That will suck. You'll deal with it the rest of the Winter unless you can go back over them and slope it?
Thanks.
I probably will be dealing with it the rest of the Winter because I don't think they are going to change their practice. But can hope for a good winter.