• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter grease.

Canadian_digger

Just wondering at what temperature does everyone switch to winter grease. Do you switch because it's easier to pump. Or does it lubricate better?

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My only criteria would be Pumpability. Usually a grease with a lower NLGI Number will have a lower 4-ball weld load than one of a higher number. That indicates that it won't lubricate as well. So unless you're having issues getting grease into pins stick with the highest NLGI Number grease that you can successfully get into the joint.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
My solution for winter grease is to keep the grease gun in the pickup cab. May not work well with 120# drums.

blitz138

Every grease will be different for switching over. It depends on base oil viscosity, VI, NLGI grade, pump system (if any).

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I to keep the grease gun warm and grease when the machine has been running awile so the joints are limbered up. I never switch to winter grease.