• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wind turbine goes up

jimmyjack

25c
it takes about 6 to eight hour's to set a machine like that up ...that would include ..if it has to be done launching the main boom ..

they spend most of the day today (sunday) taking the machine down to set up in a different spot to do the pick of the blades, not sure when they are doing that pick , next couple days are snowy and crappy and they said it needs to be 10mph or less to do it .

heres some pics from yesterday when the put the last piece of the tower on then the generater on

Attachments

• more 003.jpg
    more 003.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 689
  • more 002.jpg
    more 002.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 697
  • more 001.jpg
    more 001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 696

td25c

they spend most of the day today (sunday) taking the machine down to set up in a different spot to do the pick of the blades, not sure when they are doing that pick , next couple days are snowy and crappy and they said it needs to be 10mph or less to do it .

heres some pics from yesterday when the put the last piece of the tower on then the generater on

I was going to guess a full day to set up a rig like that,with a crew of 8 to 12 workmen,&other support unit's.I wounder what propeller weigh's.Truly impressive.

JDMGrading

I've never been around any Hydraulic luffer cranes....I wonder if you have to boom the luffer down when scoping out? Or if you just scope out and it automatically booms it down? Like in rigging mode or something?

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I've never been around any Hydraulic luffer cranes....I wonder if you have to boom the luffer down when scoping out? Or if you just scope out and it automatically booms it down? Like in rigging mode or something?

Some units ..you had to boom up and scope out with the luffing boom tip touched down ..that was trick because you had to keep the mast from coming over ... while scoping it usally took a few guy's taking up positions all around the crane with one duty and to give a hollar if things were not going well ..... after the crane was scoped out ...you would haul up on the luffing whinch to finish erecting the luffer...

on some more you would boom up to a predetermined boom angle ,,stand the luffer ,, and scope out.. now on some the computer will maintain luffer angle and pay out rope as required ..on others ..the operator maintains all function ..scoping ,luffer angle ,,main hoist rope out-put..and so on ..

now as in the case above ..you would have to boom up, stand the luffer , and scope out ..you have to pay out rope to the luffer ,pay out rope for the super lift (computer aid),,keep the super lift tensioned as not to pile the respective drum's(computer aid), it gets interesting at best ..... it can take upto and 45 minutes to put the crane in service ...often times its less to around 30 minutes ...do to the pinned main boom design of most newer hydro's..

Last edited:

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I was going to guess a full day to set up a rig like that,with a crew of 8 to 12 workmen,&other support unit's.I wounder what propeller weigh's.Truly impressive.

Of the top of my head ..i think the hub weights about 24,000 lbs ..each feather about 6000 lbs.... when possiable the whole thing is put up hub and blades one shot..

They had to move the crane to set the hub? a mistake they wont make again...I remember hitting this wall on a wind farm ..the pads were made a little wider and the tower was laid out side by side ..base,mid, top ,using a 80 to 100t tail crane to stand them ....
the hubs were laid out to allow one blade to come back behind the tower ,, the erection crane was essentially placed in the "V" of the hub and feathers ..by doing this we were able to get the hub's 35-45 feet closer or as required by the crane..

something thats a little wacky about those mills ..that not alot of people looking in realise ...if you install the top section of tower ...you have to get the Nacel on ..you cant leave it..the tube is only truly ridgid wihen the Nacel is on and its weight apllied to the tower ... Ive seen our equipment stand for hour's waiting to get the wind right for the Nacel while holding onto or hooked up to the top section ...no sense putting it up if it has to come back down ..
the tops can weigh around 50-60,000 lb's the Nacel weight's can vary ..100-130,000 lbs..depending...

jimmyjack

national geographic channel on worlds toughest fixs is doing a documentary on this...sorry i just saw it in the guide ,wish i could have told yea sooner

jinpat

We supply slip rings which are wide used in wind turbine,crane,anricultural machine and othe heavy equipments.
Any 360 degree rotating question, please contact JINPATElectronics http://www.slipring.cn
E-mail:marketing@slipring.cn

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Here is a few pictures of the rarely seen end of a wind turbine

Attachments

• 11-19-08_1134.jpg
    11-19-08_1134.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 471
  • 11-20-08_1545.jpg
    11-20-08_1545.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 474
  • 11-20-08_1558.jpg
    11-20-08_1558.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 461

Lugghead

Catkicker...........that top pic looks like the 55t Terex I've been running...........

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Brand new 120ton. I arrived in Utah today. In time for last part of the 1 phase and then 2nd phase GE turbines 1 phase, clippers 2 phase

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Its a Greer system... pretty much all the same just diferent software for the model of crane ..

The only thing i dont like about that system is that the A2B is a open or closed circut ..In the greer system if the boom lenght/A2B cable goes to ground the system can function and unknown to the operator the A2B can be inadvertantly over ridden ..This was the case on earlier models ...stick a piece of wire in place of the switch to see if they changed that ...its food for thought if you see fraying on the cable or dead end ..

This cant happen in a PAT ..theres a resistor in the switch ..and if the LMI does not see the exact resistance in the A2B loop, the A2B is activated..