• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Will Trimble work with Topcon?

Grademan

We just purchased a trimble machine but we already have several topcon units and No trimble. What do I have to do to run the trimble machine with my topcon base. I have heard I will have to buy a radio to transmit to the trimble reciver. BUT how do I localize the machine if my rover is Topcon?

t_dirt

@ Grademan, that question can not be answered without more info.
What type of base do you have?? Is it UHF, or SS (915SS)? What type of radio does the Cat Sys, have??
If they are both UHF, then Yes, UHF's, can be set the same and the "language" can be set the same, CMR, CMR+, RTCM2.XX, RTCM3.XX.
If not you may be able to add some auxillary radios and broadcast both. There is a company that builds some cool cables to hook up different brands!!
I am not that familiar going that way, but our Topcon Systems will run just fine off a Trimble UHF base, Topcon has Trimble radio setting. Topcon seems to be alot more friendly working with the competition than Cat.
Most Localizations should be the same, NEZ coords, and a Lat, Long, Ellipsoid, In the cat stuff there should be a Control Point area to hand enter those items. I have manually entered many localizations in Topcon Units!! A bit tedious, but easy!!

Last edited:

MCguy

I dont know if you can add a Trimble radio to transmit CMR's to you Trimble machine from the Topcon base...it think either Topcon or Trimble makes a cable that allows you to broadcast both radio's from a single base unit. I know I was looking at the Topcon system for our grader and found that I could use a Topcon radio at my Trimble base to broadcast the Topcon radio signal to the machine, but I went with the GCS900 system for me grader instead. Contact you local dealers, they will be able to give you the correct information to cross over the radio signals.