• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Will this work? 2000 watt inverter in a Cat305e2

motionclone

Stihl has one constant in their existence. They HAVE to be started a certain way.

Set the throttle to start. Set the choke. Pull the rope. If it fires, unchoke. One more pull and it's running. If you do not set the throttle to start, or unchoke after it fires, you will fail at starting it. EVERYTIME. I have been around dozens of Stihl tools, and every single one starts like this. Many times I have started a saw repeatedly that the owner claims is junk. Not trying to be a smartass, just stating my experience.

Even a warm saw at MINIMUM needs the throttle set to start. Squeeze throttle fully, move shutoff lever to start. If you don't chose to choke it on the first pull, and it doesn't fire, only pull one more time before choking, but you MUST unchoke after it pops.
Exactly. Too complicated for some people i guess. Thats why ive had to move to battery equipment. Dumb Dumb proof.

Another issue i saw with some guys is they just pull it over too slow, have to snap it not pull it.

motionclone

The mounting of stuff is the bugger. I'd make a socket mount under the counterweight and slide it in there when needed.
Think a pair of receivers for a hitch.
You just have to re-calibrate your brain to having a butt machine.
It could handle a pair of batteries and the inverter.
I dont think much is going to fit under the counterweight as it will interfere with the tracks when i swing. I have about 5" between the bottom of counterweight and track. I was thinking to fab a basket that mounts right behind the rear window on top of the engine compartment hatch. There is a 21"x10" shelf there. Basket could double as a chainsaw and gas holder when i do clearing and brush work.

skyking1

It doesn't sit under the counterweight. Just the tube sits under the counter weight.
You could also have it a flat plate bolt mount system so it doesn't stick down more than about an inch.
I thought about that area that you're thinking of and thought it might be too small.
It doesn't offer a lot of good mounting opportunities there either unless you start messing with the ROPS/ cab.
That's generally a no-no since it's a certified piece of safety equipment.

motionclone

It doesn't sit under the counterweight. Just the tube sits under the counter weight.
You could also have it a flat plate bolt mount system so it doesn't stick down more than about an inch.
I thought about that area that you're thinking of and thought it might be too small.
It doesn't offer a lot of good mounting opportunities there either unless you start messing with the ROPS/ cab.
That's generally a no-no since it's a certified piece of safety equipment.
I get what youre saying now, the mount would bolt under the counterweight and extend out to hold a platform of some sort to either hold batteries or a small gen.

I noticed my cab has a few lugs welded onto the outside of it, presumably for bolting on some glass protection, wonder what kind of weight those could hold.

The little plastic cover over the engine has steel supports under it that could carry some load im guessing if i mounted a basket on top of the plastic.

Last edited:

motionclone

Update:
So I ended up just going with the generator option to power the vac lift. I scoured Marketplace for a month until i found a deal on a Honda EU2200i. Then I built a basket out of some plate scraps i had around and mounted right above the engine bay. The basket holds my chain sling or a chainsaw when gen isnt in use.
20240318_095904.jpg