• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why track loaders?

Randy88

If I had the choice of one machine, it would be a track loader, the most versatile machine ever built, for clearing, we use a track loader and excavator, a blade machine hardly ever goes to the job site.

As for wheel loaders, most are in quarries loading trucks, never seen one ever leave hard surfaced or graveled lots, many are used to load manure out of feedlots, silage and have many uses on farms, for the ag industry as a whole, they hardly ever leave the yard, I've never seen one ever out on dirt doing much of anything, come to think of it, never seen one ever do anything period, don't know of anyone who ever has done anything with one, that's just not done in my area. I've run dozens over the years, mostly in quarries loading trucks and have never really found anything else they are really good for.

As for the rubber tracked skid steer thing, those were a fad here years back, most got tired of them and really got fed up with the high upkeep costs to them, they do have their place, but will never take the place of a steel tracked crawler loader, the rubber tracks work fine for in town work and around houses or on concrete or paved roads, but those types of jobs the steel track loader was never really big in anyhow.

It depends on what type of work you do and where you do it, but there are dozens of steel track loaders in my area and they are used a lot and I don't see them leaving anytime soon, mine will be the last thing I sell.

MFowler, if you already have a 690 with a thumb, why not use that, as for using a mini ex for removing boulders, if your dealing on ground that steep, you'd better be digging them out facing downhill or your'll end up with the boulder in your lap, if you dig downhill, you don't have the weight with a mini to handle much of any rock, with a track loader, you can dig them up going uphill, the more you dig and lift the more traction you have, with either machine once over a certain size, your not going to handle any boulder, the rock will out weigh the machine and bad things happen. The next thing you'll find out with any mini is on steep terrain if you have to pull yourself up, excavators don't have much swing power, on the level is where they are best, on steep grades they have to swing the weight of the house and what your picking up, the swing motor isn't large enough to do much, on feller bunchers they run much larger swing motors and have the power do much more, a mini will basically move itself and that's about it. You'll also need a thumb on a mini to do much of anything, you'll also want a blade on it to help with stability somewhat. But your right about the track loader being top heavy and narrow, it is and it depends on what your used to, whatever you decide to buy, I'd practice and get comfortable on much more level ground and work your way up to steep terrain, best of luck.

Mother Deuce

The Hitachi UH07 and UH045 (mid 80's model numbers for EX200 and 120) changed the face of excavation dramatically when they arrived in Seattle. I had a friend that was running about 25 track loaders at the time most ly Deeres JD855, 755 655 and IH 175 and 125's. He did mostly residential plat development and mid size commercial footing 500 to 15000 yard excavations. Clearing was done with a mix of dozers and loaders material stacked in piles and burned whenever possible. Nobody except utility guy's used excavators much prior to that. Many utility companies at the time were still working in the street with large TLB's Dynahoe and Fords. Enter the grey market machines. Things changed overnight (like 24 to 36 months) people that had run 977's 955's and IH 250 and 175's for decades, were suddenly seen sporting UH07's and PC200's. It is even now almost unbelievable how quickly the cheap affordable grey market excavators changed how we did business in the PNW. They were affordable, abundant and intuitive to operate. By about 89 or 90 after the "attack of the greys" and as we started to develop ground that for years had been deemed undesirable because it was wet, had poor access, a outcrop or some other "problem," finding a loader on a job site as more than a convenience item was getting rare although the big demo outfits hung onto their 977s and in some cases 983s (with Petersen buckets) for sometime as the loaders do a great job at grinding demo while loading trucks and moving from point to point. Reducing material size to something that would efficiently pack into the demo trailer without leaving voids was essential to reduce truck expense I would suspect although I haven't been around it in awhile that some demo outfit's are still following that model. Excavators just don't have the ground pressure to efficient "grinders." I knew a guy's that could make a 55 sing and freakin' dance and I also know guy's that would be hustling to keep up with them even now with an excavator. Track loaders like the dinosaurs faded away. They are still out there just hard to find in most places. I was working a hard face a couple years ago with a nice 980G it was my machine and I loved it... however there were places in the pit I would have loved to be once again perched on a 977L listening to the turbo stack note and effortlessly pushing the face back. They have their place even now.

ih100

Last month a crew near me started work prepping a 6 acre lot for a couple of warehouses and parking. Two 13 tonne excavators, two 7-tonne capacity forward tipping dumpers, and a roller. Took them about a week to strip, stockpile, grade and roll the site. Plus 5 operators. Next to it another crew did a similar job on a five acre, Cat 320 and a D6K, all the soil exported. About a week and a half. Both of those jobs were crying out for a 963. Over here the site agents and engineers have forgotten what a tracked loader can do, and how quickly.

I've spent about equal time with a GP and 4 in 1 buckets, whichever one I've got I think the other would be better, but objectively the 4 in 1 is most useful for what bit of productivity you lose loading trucks.

DeepSouth1

Last month a crew near me started work prepping a 6 acre lot for a couple of warehouses and parking. Two 13 tonne excavators, two 7-tonne capacity forward tipping dumpers, and a roller. Took them about a week to strip, stockpile, grade and roll the site. Plus 5 operators. Next to it another crew did a similar job on a five acre, Cat 320 and a D6K, all the soil exported. About a week and a half. Both of those jobs were crying out for a 963. Over here the site agents and engineers have forgotten what a tracked loader can do, and how quickly.

I've spent about equal time with a GP and 4 in 1 buckets, whichever one I've got I think the other would be better, but objectively the 4 in 1 is most useful for what bit of productivity you lose loading trucks.

Agree with this completely. Just this week, I started a commercial development for a retail center to include parking lot and retention pond over a three acre site. From this site, you can’t look more than 1/4 mile in any direction without seeing at least one more commercial development packed so full with iron that they can barely move around each other. I’m using a 953D, and with this single machine and single operator, I can complete every task on this site (clear, grub, build and finish building pad, cut and rough in parking lot, dig and build retention pond) except installing the storm with my ‘53 in about three weeks. I will use an excavator only to dig and lay pipe simply because I don’t care to have to install the storm in an 8’ wide ditch. A track loader is absolutely the most versatile machine I’ve ever run, and I’m not really sure how I got along without one for years.

ippielb

I wish general knowledge folk knew what these machines are capable of.

I have been trying to find work with my 973c, but people are always uneducated and have never seen a trackloader so they are reverting back to getting a hoe and a dozer to do their work for them.

I know I can do the work cheaper and just as fast with a single machine vs two machines and two operators.

I was often curious about a 4in1 bucket. The only part I would see it being useful is trying to be clean, that last bucket of material sitting on the subgrade. There will always be that little pile you end up just pushing around. The 4in1 you could grab it.

I don’t know how the backblading would be. For what I do, I often use the teeth and backblade pieces back into my cut, makes it cleaner and stops it pushing. I’d be curious if the 4in1 could handle the stresses of trying to bring back a large piece of asphalt like that.

If I had to choose on my machine a 4in1 or a GP and a ripper. I’d definitely choose the ripper. For what I do anyways. Ripping asphalt, I’ve had times where it has been over 1.5 feet thick, and trying to get through it just starting your cut, is hard on the machine and time consuming. We had a ripper one year at work, and it was awesome to have. Could just drop it into the asphalt a few times and it would loosen it up to start the cut so easy.

Having a ripper on my person 973c would make pushing Bush really easy effective as well, after I pluck all the trees out, and pile them. I could come through with the ripper and root it all, and get what never came out with the stumps. Then just rake it with the teeth after to grab all the roots and leave the dirt behind.

DeepSouth1

They certainly are more cost effective to run in my opinion. At least for an operation like mine as an owner/operator. One trip brings machine, operator and ground man, along with any necessary hand tools, and you don’t spend nearly the time or money trucking in and out with multiple pieces of equipment.

td25c

I wish general knowledge folk knew what these machines are capable of.

I have been trying to find work with my 973c, but people are always uneducated and have never seen a trackloader so they are reverting back to getting a hoe and a dozer to do their work for them.

I know I can do the work cheaper and just as fast with a single machine vs two machines and two operators.

We reverted back past that …. Just show up with a skid loader & drag line .

Those two make a good team just don't tell them I said that .:)

They will get to felling " Big " & want a pay hike ….. You fellers keep this under your hat !

Last thing I need is equipment protesting about wages .

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/insley-k12.72300/#post-756315

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/insley-k12.72300/#post-756472

LOL ! :D

Last edited:

ippielb

We reverted back past that …. Just show up with a skid loader & drag line .

Those two make a good team just don't tell them I said that .:)

They will get to felling " Big " & want a pay hike ….. You fellers keep this under your hat !

Last thing I need is equipment protesting about wages .

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/insley-k12.72300/#post-756315

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/insley-k12.72300/#post-756472

LOL ! :D
That drag is pretty cool. How far away is the reach? We could use that to clean out our dugouts in the pastures.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
recently I just saw for the first time in a while someone do a 10 acre clearing, house pad. driveway install with a john deere 160 a cat 953 and a d5 dozer they done it all in about a week did a good job wish I had the 953 was a newer one to so pretty penny

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
recently I just saw for the first time in a while someone do a 10 acre clearing, house pad. driveway install with a john deere 160 a cat 953 and a d5 dozer they done it all in about a week did a good job wish I had the 953 was a newer one to so pretty penny

That is amazing. I have been on a clearing job on day 13 now. Have not even made an acre yet. I would guess I have removed 300 trees, 650' long driveway, 6 30 yards cans out so far, 7 dump loads of gravel in, installed 40' of driveway pipe. I currently have a tree top pile that is 60 feet wide by 90 feet long and 4' crushed down by 953. Two men running chain saws not including me. I just bought a sawmill so I am keeping all the butts and quality logs. The pulp pile is large... Several loggers offered to clear the trees for free. I told owner i would not touch it unless I get to keep what ever logs i want. And I would not touch their mess unless he was willing to put a 325 sized hoe on site... which i dont have.. Big stumps..

He decided to meet my demands.. I keep thinking I should have charged more. I was hoping for a 3 week in and out .. but I don't believe it will happen... I have been selecting the logs i want and pulling 8 ton loads of logs each day out with the f550 and a 14k trailer. I have been stuck 4 of the last 6 days... the trailer ubolts and frame hits the dirt and down we go. Pushed out with 953, pulled out with tl150, pulled out with a dodge 3500, etc. Break and bend metal all under the name of "normal" wear and tear....

The Stihl 461 had me about ready to look for a day off!

Attachments

• 20180721_113810.jpg
    20180721_113810.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 20180721_105619.jpg
    20180721_105619.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 20180716_093556.jpg
    20180716_093556.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 65

td25c

That drag is pretty cool. How far away is the reach? We could use that to clean out our dugouts in the pastures.

They work great for that . Good reach & no need to drain the water .

55 to 60 foot reach in that setting on top of the dam .

What's old is now new today . :)

catwelder

Occupation
welder
That is amazing. I have been on a clearing job on day 13 now. Have not even made an acre yet. I would guess I have removed 300 trees, 650' long driveway, 6 30 yards cans out so far, 7 dump loads of gravel in, installed 40' of driveway pipe. I currently have a tree top pile that is 60 feet wide by 90 feet long and 4' crushed down by 953. Two men running chain saws not including me. I just bought a sawmill so I am keeping all the butts and quality logs. The pulp pile is large... Several loggers offered to clear the trees for free. I told owner i would not touch it unless I get to keep what ever logs i want. And I would not touch their mess unless he was willing to put a 325 sized hoe on site... which i dont have.. Big stumps..

He decided to meet my demands.. I keep thinking I should have charged more. I was hoping for a 3 week in and out .. but I don't believe it will happen... I have been selecting the logs i want and pulling 8 ton loads of logs each day out with the f550 and a 14k trailer. I have been stuck 4 of the last 6 days... the trailer ubolts and frame hits the dirt and down we go. Pushed out with 953, pulled out with tl150, pulled out with a dodge 3500, etc. Break and bend metal all under the name of "normal" wear and tear....

The Stihl 461 had me about ready to look for a day off!
well ill be fair with one it was already a home site once so they just had to take down junk wood so they dint have as much to do as you do but still they where rolling

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
What my boss and I found after bunches of research, a track loader beat other machines down. Now I'd like a dozer for some work that he has, but the IH 175C we found is gonna be better all around machine for what we need it for.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
i think at this point a excavator and a track loader would be a mean combo that could do anything and be a money making pair kind of been looking at them now

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All

ilcorngrower

Old thread here I know. We did a job this summer where I thought almost every thank God we had our 963 there. We dug a 70 X 200 X 10' Hog Building. Our 963 was the first machine on the job and last to leave. Stripped topsoil with it. Stockpiled clay with it and support Excavator while digging the hole. The going really got tough right after we dug the building we had 9 inches of rain in 3 days. The concrete crew fought mud the entire time. Due to the wet conditions we had to bucket stone around for the concrete guys. We ended up also having to backfill the load out for them which was about 11 tandem loads of clean 1 inch stone. The whole time I was bucketing stone I thought.... Boy good thing we didn't bring a dozer to this mess or we'd be F'd.... Sure you could have backfilled that stone with an excavator. Of course you couldn't get within 75 yards of the building due to soft conditions.IMG_2507.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At certain points the function of a low slung, tracked loader beats all other machines, don't care how great they are at what they do EACH machine has a optimum point of use and function.

Jakex120

It's pretty clear..a crawler that can round up loose materials and at the same time traverse some difficult terrain..But if you need a dozer don't buy a "loader dozer"(as some put it when trying to sell them). Even if you can swap the bucket for a custom made blade though my experience is only with an old cat ht4. I thought i was gonna do it all lol.. driveway, clearing woods etc.. it would push a small tree over if the roots where loose..and could smooth dirt if I back dragged the blade..Maybe the gearing changed as newer models came along and track loaders became diggers too..At first I just wanted to try another model but an excavator was the ticket for me!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dozers specifically are pushing machines, they are used to strip flat or to grade smooth or remove large objects that are not intended to be loaded on other machines. Loaders are just that, they remove bucket loads of materials and position them elsewhere or to load them out, excavators do not have the mobility of a loader but can load as well and can manhandle trees or stumps better as well trench or rapidly stockpile a dig site. Have seen them used in place of loaders or dozers as single machine operations but as for stripping a large site belly pans are primary or track loaders as they can build stockpiles as well. Is up to the individual company as to how they intend to use, types of hauling equipment, numbers of machines and materials to be moved or the site as to agile machines for space.

8V149 Detroit

My dad has a old John Deere 555A with a clam shell bucket (don't know if it is considered a 4in1) that was bought by his boss many years ago. They used it for a lot of things like clearing and digging basements and ponds. We used it to move some debris around a few years ago. We haven't used it lately because the under carriage is worn out. But we did use it to hold a tree from failing down on my aunts house during the last couple of hurricanes