• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why is oil coming out of the steering wheel on my Case 580D?

JRP3

That was kind of a joke, (not a good one obviously), meaning the oil isn't supposed to be in the steering wheel, but in the steering box. But it brings up a question, I thought the fluid was the same type as the rest of the hydraulics?

El Hombre

That was kind of a joke, (not a good one obviously), meaning the oil isn't supposed to be in the steering wheel, but in the steering box. But it brings up a question, I thought the fluid was the same type as the rest of the hydraulics?

Should be the same; it's the wet brakes in the rear axle that needs the correct, special oil. If you have a shuttle trans, those will usually use a special fluid for the wet clutches. Ford has specced 134 oil for everything except the engine, but's Case-New Holland now. So there might be some new ideas about oil I should learn, I don't use the hoe very much, so I'm not changing or topping up the fluids.

JRP3

As far as I can tell the steering pump is part of the main hydraulic pump and pulls oil from the same tank. At least the ones that have a loader. Without a loader there is a separate steering pump. As far as the brakes, from what I've read Case also specifies hydraulic fluid, not brake fluid. If you use brake fluid in the brakes it can cause problems.