• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

why do they paint terexs green?

Wulf

;) Cos they didn't want to hear that old western term....

"What are ya, yellow?"

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Up until the late 30's, most tractors were painted in grays and dull reds, which if you think about it, doesn't have high visibility, especially at night.
Caterpillar and most of it's competitors switched to "highway yellow" of one shade or other about this time. Partly in the interest of safety, and partly to make sure they were noticed in the public eye.
Euclid (Terex's predecessor) had machinery painted in a dark green shade, and later yellow during the 50's. When GM bought into the Euclid company,
they were looking to form their own identity. They came up with the Terex name, combining the latin words Terra, which means Earth, and Rex, which means King. King of the Earth, you see?
They had also done research into colors with high visibility, and that lime green was one of the best, along with bright yellows. Must have been something to it, because they paint some fire trucks this color too.
Although, that green sure looks terrible after years of weathering when it turns a chalky whitish green!
It's sort of indicative of the changing fortunes of General Motors, because at one time they had a construction equipment division (Terex, sold off) a locomotive division (EMD, sold off) an engine division (Detroit Diesel, now it's own company).
Eric Orlemann has a good book out on Euclid and Terex, which describes all this and what happened with the various elements of the Eerex corporation.
And Euclid is still in business, making off road trucks.
Hope this helps,
alan627b

Legdoc

Excellent history lesson. Unfortuately it also a a text book example of how an American Icon (GM) was destroyed by corporate greed, poor management and stupidity!

rino1494

We have a Terex 2766C and it has been a real good truck. No complaints about it.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I don't think Terex scrapers are so bad. I spent a few months on a TS-24 and also ran a TS-14 on one job. My only complaint with them was the bowl did not have down pressure.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
OLD Yellow

;) Cos they didn't want to hear that old western term....

"What are ya, yellow?"

Back when i was growing up it was " Old Yellow" who saved the day:D !!!!! :cool2 :usa

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I always thought white was a poor choice for earthmoving equipment, since every grease spill, rust streak soot stain sticks out like a sore thumb...
but Terex is partly owned by Ingersoll Rand, so it makes since....
not many white scrapers around here!

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
there is a local contractor mostly trucks,blades,hoes, small dozers,they build pretty big subdivisions,roads,other local land developing.they got two terexs p/p,look a little bit bigger than a 27, those two scrapers are always working,or i see them going down the road to another job.good clean older units with cabs.last summer they were building a new school in my hood,the dirt contractor had an older terex twin a smaller one that just looked worn out,pile of rust,i could here those detroits screaming all the way across town,it got the dirt moved though,ide ride my bike down there at night check out the operation, every night the old terex would be sitting there one flat tire puddle of oil under everyplace that held oil.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
here is a very old terex that a subcontractor runs at the mine where i work. this is the first pic ive been able to post hope it works.

Attachments

• iron004 (Small) (Small) (Custom).JPG
    iron004 (Small) (Small) (Custom).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,520

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
YAHOO i did it, i dont know what year it is i do know its a ts-24 im pretty sure, makes my ears hurt just looking at it.

dpull

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Terex Scrapers

Spent quite abit of time on Terex iron when I got out of the Military in 1973 in the Strip Mines in S.E. Ohio. The 24's were a tough machine and took alot of beating. Hated the 14's as the ride was a back killer. GMC with there deep money pockets had Cat running scared for awhile. Used to be alot of the green iron in the mines at one time in this area.
637slayer, Have you ever been to Waltman Wy? There was a couple of TS32's setting behind the store last time I was out there.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
yes i have 100s of times,that drive from casper to shoshonie is one of the most boring drives in wy. instead of counting sagebrushs i should of been looking around maybe i would of seen the terexs.

gd10r

I have always had a softspot for the "Green Iron". Must have been from all the money I earned from my dad, I had to count all the Eucs when we went over Vail Pass as it was under constuction. We had a place in Vail and I just loved the Green Iron.
Here are a few Photos, First batch,
TS-14 WW in Laramie WY
Some "Sherman Williams overhauled" Terex S-24's from Rice and Rice in Colorado Springs.

Attachments

• TS-14.jpg.JPG
    TS-14.jpg.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,068
  • S-24.jpg.JPG
    S-24.jpg.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,980
  • S-24i.jpg.JPG
    S-24i.jpg.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,631

gd10r

Here are a few more.
Rice and Rice.
A nice old Southwest at the RB auction site, ex: Oftedal & Sons machine.
Who says all EUCS are green:
Dwire Ex in Colorado Springs has a whole slew of TS-24's, S-24's, and S-35E's, all repowered to cummins with engine breaks, here are a few shots:

Attachments

• IMGP5822.JPG
    IMGP5822.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,861
  • S-24's.jpg.JPG
    S-24's.jpg.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,861
  • S-24y.jpg.JPG
    S-24y.jpg.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,851
  • S-35E ii.jpg.JPG
    S-35E ii.jpg.JPG