• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why did the really oldtimers call a road grader a Motor Patrol ?

Tinkerer

When I first started working on new pipeline job over fifty years ago I routinely heard the older operators refer to a road grader as a motor patrol.
I knew what a road grader, blade and road maintainer was. I finally researched road graders and found out the reason.
I thought the younger operators would find this interesting.
cat.png

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Never heard of graders in general called a motor patrol. I remember seeing ancient graders with "patrol" on the nameplate under the brand but I've only been on equipment since 1979 :rolleyes:

Queenslander

bigrus, they have an Auto Patrol there under the shed in the background.
If I recall correctly, it dates back to the mid thirties, survived the bombing of Darwin during WW2 and was later purchased by a local council.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I've watched several old farm tractor advertising videos. Very common to see the operators wearing dress clothes. I suppose that was supposed to give the impression that the new machinery was so effective you could wear your Sunday best and run it?? :)

Mother Deuce

Apparently this is where the motor patrol reference started in 1919. I have never seen an operator dressed like the man in the image !View attachment 206075
Probably never seen one in dressed to go out on a date either, fresh hair, nails, little dumb top, slacks and heels but it happen one friday night in Bremerton and ended up in SeaTac when I had to road a 140 one summer Friday evening for a Saturday morning job that could not wait... did start some interesting conversations at stop lights though while tooling through Fife.

Reactions: DB2

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
When I fitted my "red dot" A/c to my Dresser A450E after a couple years running just an enclosed cab. After the first few weeks of running the A/c, my wife asked "was I going to work" as my clothes were very clean compared to previously. Still get a chuckle when I think of that.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
I wondered of the significance why one machine had its own enclosure. Didn't get time to look thoroughly through the lineup as we were on a time frame to be back in Barcaldine.