• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

who's responsablity?

counter

Occupation
manager
when a demo crew sets up to take down some old building,if it is an old house in a bad hood, or an old defunct 10 story hotel! who makes sure the place dont have some homeless peeps in the place?some places arent safe to walk into and not have a floor to walk through that might collapse!

Turbo21835

In general, you attempt to walk through before you wreck anything. I know a demo company in Detroit had some issues on one job. They were wrecking an old set or "projects" they fenced the area off, and every night the fence was cut and homeless people took up residence in the buildings that are being wrecked. They spent 2 hours every morning checking the building.

Also know a guy that was wrecking a house in the hood. He made a pass, and tore a corner of the house down. He next pass that he was about to take was going to be a closet in that room. Just before he hit it the doors flew open and a bum stumbled out, and took off down the street.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
A story my friend told me, so take it with a grain of salt. In the 80s he was working for a demo contractor and he gets to the house they are about to wreck and there is a squatter living inside. Apparently he was a working guy with a job but his wife had thrown him out a few days earlier so he was living illegally in this old house. Anyway they tell the guy to leave, and he puts his meager belongings in his pickup truck and takes off. Fast forward a few years and my friend is working for a different contractor and they hire a new foreman. Guess who it was. The guy they chased out of the house they wrecked!

cat 385

i agree always do a walk through,any body that has worked in a fairly large city i think will say the same,we had a block of old buildings downtown s.l.c.ut. to be tore down every night someone was asleep in there.also not just buildings we found some clothes and a blanket in one of our man holes,and also the crusher crew went to fire the crusher up one morning had three people hiding inside the crusher.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
As the operator ( and owner) of the machine doing the wrecking, I consider it mine. And trust me if something happened, and made it to the courts so would the lawyers.

counter

Occupation
manager
demoing the big stuff

i thank you all for the responses! but ,again, in question! ive seen that old, hotels, motels,schools, hospitals, malls, get demoed all the time!! talk about some hiding places for the homeless!! does the police dept. go through first before you guy start tearing away?