• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who's a lucky boy

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wow! It's one thing for someone to be available quickly to help him. But how odd is it that a vacuum cleaner hose was available at that moment? Amazing!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
A brilliant story just goes to prove that if your number is up ,it's up and that wasn't his day to go

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That is an amazing story, thanks for sharing.

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
But how odd is it that a vacuum cleaner hose was available at that moment? Amazing!

An amazing story. In the background is what looks like a restaurant and Mr.Thomson was working in a nearby boatshed, I imagine that both of these places would have vacuum cleaners as does nearly any working/living places these day. I hope the quick thinking woman receives as much praise as Mr. Thomson, they both deserve a medal.:thumbsup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I realise there can be any number of reasons that a vacuum hose was nearby.
I'm just amazed that one was at that very moment. It's kinda like your on the side of the road with an alternator that has crapped out on your vehicle...and someone comes by that has one just like it in their trunk to fix you up! The vacuum hose, the alternator, just the thing that's needed at that very moment. Amazing!

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
Heres another story along the same theme, that happened at work about 3 years ago. On each crew we have 3 to 5 rescue squad members, they can be equipment operators or mechanics in the workshop or someone elsewhere, and if an emergency is called in they are the ones that will respond, manning the ambulance and fire truck which are at the gatehouse. The time this truck driver had the heart attack and rolled to a stop against a berm, was just at the end of night and one of the operator/rescue squad members was driving behind in a light vehicle and realised something was wrong and after a few quick checks called in an emergency and at that exact time there were other rescue squad members coming through the gatehouse for day shift and were right beside the ambulance which has the defib gear on board which got there in record time. Then to get an unconscience man down from a haultruck a couple of extra hands were needed . He lived and is still living. At one of our safety meetings someone said lightheartdly that if you are going to have a heart attack or something do it at shift change.

I guess what I'm trying to say there is probably a lot of people saved when all the right elements come together at the right time, some we hear about a lot we don't. Stock said something like, when your time is up,its up but this mans wasn't. Nor was Keiths.:angel

Wonder if anyone else has a story when everything comes together just right.:)

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Wow thats lucky , I see plenty of ideas for equipment makers , they'll have vacuum cleaner hoses in the cabs of all machines

Hendrik

Wow thats lucky , I see plenty of ideas for equipment makers , they'll have vacuum cleaner hoses in the cabs of all machines
Perhaps not vacuum cleaner hose but it should be mandatory for a machine to carry a breathing apparatus when there is a possibility of the machine tumbling into water.
He was lucky that he was working in an area where there where people to give assistance.