• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

whole house knockdowns

JPCobra105

Occupation
owner/operator jpexpress demolition and excavation
just a few pics of what i do all day. whole house knockdowns in NY.

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,570
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,534

cat320

Charter Member
houses must be relativly easy compared to commercial with steel cement and roof all probably have to be seperated to dispose of and maxamize your waste and recicaling feeing back to you.

Iron Horse

You won't see that happening in Australia . People pay big money to buy them and have them cut into sections and trucked to their land . Have you seen the Slashbuster video on house demolition ? Give it a Google , it's awsome .

nitrox2595

cobra, im from rockland county.. Hows your market doing in LI? I looked at one job in LI, its too far of a drive to do every day. I could send you some work if i get any calls.

JPCobra105

Occupation
the market here is ok, nothing special. its tough trying to stay competetive it seems like every landscaper with a bobcat thinks they can tear down a house. but i keep pretty busy, just not at the prices id like to see. id appreciate anything you can offer.

skyhightree1

Occupation
Business Owner
the market here is ok, nothing special. its tough trying to stay competetive it seems like every landscaper with a bobcat thinks they can tear down a house. but i keep pretty busy, just not at the prices id like to see. id appreciate anything you can offer.

I own a Tree Service & Landscaping business but I don't use a bobcat to do that.. Im not that crazy I use a dozer or a backhoe I am looking at getting a trackhoe with a Thumb or grapple on it like you have. Could you send me a PM and let me know how much the grapple runs up where you are ?

JPCobra105

Occupation
i haul all the debris in my cans. 30's for the debris and 20's for the concrete

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Do you not bust everything up real good? When I'm done with a wood structure there ain't a board longer then 3' before it gets loaded out. What is your hoe a 315?

JPCobra105

Occupation
i get the whole thing down to the ground first. (too dangerous leaving a roof hanging) then i i use the grapple and churn and crunch when i fill a box the debris flow in like water. not worth it to haul a can with gaps and spaces unfilled.
thats a 312 i run 2 of them.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Don't you find them 312s a little small? I used a 312 for a few weeks and man I had to really get with it to bust stuff up. It wasn't to bad once I got the teeth sharpened (bucket no grapple) up a little, but still if the wood was kind of green and plywood where still a PITA. We traded that in on a 320 no more wailing on stuff and I didn't feel so worn out at the end of the day. I would load trucks as I went so I didn't get the whole house on the ground normally.

JPCobra105

Occupation
i have no problem with the 312. i havent come across anything that the grapple couldt turn to splinters yet. i like the 312 because alot of houses are on real tight properties (last one i did was 30 foot between the neighbors.) and there is a ton of traffic on long island its alot easier to get around. i had the first 312 and decided to stick with the same thing. it makes ordering parts and maintnace alot easier. in my opinion.
my next machine will probalby be in the 320 class. i've been doing some bigger stuff that the 312 is a little small for (reach and grab height)

special tool

i have no problem with the 312. i havent come across anything that the grapple couldt turn to splinters yet. i like the 312 because alot of houses are on real tight properties (last one i did was 30 foot between the neighbors.) and there is a ton of traffic on long island its alot easier to get around. i had the first 312 and decided to stick with the same thing. it makes ordering parts and maintnace alot easier. in my opinion.
my next machine will probalby be in the 320 class. i've been doing some bigger stuff that the 312 is a little small for (reach and grab height)

I knew you were going to say that about the tight lots on LI., I know exactly what you mean.

Would you consider a zero-turn on the next one?

JPCobra105

Occupation
yeah, i like the zero-turn. never got a chance to run one... does anyone know how much weight it can lift compared to a machine without zero-turn in the same class?
the only issue id see having is lifting out some of the big trech footing i come across. id hate to have to use a hammer to make one break in a footing or wall.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Maybe the lack of a grapple part of it... Ya I was nervous doing 2 story brick houses with gable ends with the 312. They didn't have any guarding on the hoe and it was defiantly short on reach.

special tool

yeah, i like the zero-turn. never got a chance to run one... does anyone know how much weight it can lift compared to a machine without zero-turn in the same class?
the only issue id see having is lifting out some of the big trech footing i come across. id hate to have to use a hammer to make one break in a footing or wall.

No problem there.
About the only REAL problem wth the moden zero-turns is that there is no operator space. Its pretty bad.
They are very space efficient (you would think a 120 size machine weighs only 20,000 LBS....until you look more closely) and the operator pays the price too.

wilddanz71

I am about to do my first house tear down with my ex 120
I do not have a thumb or grapple yet. I want to get a manual thumb. I am a house builder, so i dont use the excavator every day. will the thumb do all I need? and is it imposible to load debri into cans with just a digging bucket?
thanks DAN

312King

I am about to do my first house tear down with my ex 120
I do not have a thumb or grapple yet. I want to get a manual thumb. I am a house builder, so i dont use the excavator every day. will the thumb do all I need? and is it imposible to load debri into cans with just a digging bucket?
thanks DAN

Me and my dad have never used thumbs we just use 48' digging buckets and we load dumpsters . You might have a harder time since you dont have as much time and as us. But Im sure you will be fine.