• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who tunes Case skidders?

mountainrancher

I'm looking to upgrade a case 310 with a larger fuel pump and a tune to get more power. As I understand you can put the 340s fuel pump on it and achieve the same power level. Has anyone done this or know of shops that do it or where to go?

mountainrancher

NJM446101 for example.

Haven't bought one yet, just heard the main difference between the 310 and the 340 is the 310 has a smaller fuel pump and is tuned down, and the 340 has a larger fuel pump, def, and is tuned up, but a tuner can remove the def. I'm thinking upgrading and tuning the 310 would be better than having to remove the def in the 340.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have owned a 340 and rented a 310 for the Summer a couple years ago. I liked the 310, especially for concrete and asphalt grading. My concern would be if you power up the 310 you still only have so much track on the ground. When I used it for heavier work the shorter track on the ground wasn't near as effective as the longer track on the 340. Power was an issue as well, but it is a 75 hp machine so I expected that. I think if you get the 310 to push 90 hp, I don't believe your going to be able to push that much more without spinning out. You can counterweight it down, which might help some, but those short tracks are the issue. I also am not sure that the radiator is the same between the two. I kinda doubt it, but I don't know that for sure. Keeping it cool may be an issue if the radiator is smaller. I know nothing about deleting the machine, but even if deleting the 340 was more of an issue, I think you would have more machine in the end. Personally, I never had a DEF issue on the 340 or any of my SCR machines. I work them hard, minimize idling and that philosophy has worked well for me on the DPF machines as well as the SCR machines after that. Carrying DEF around is a pain but I have never lost an hour due to it.

Midnightmoon

good news same injection pump on both models. Whats different are the turbos injectors camshafts cylinderhead and ecu. making a 310 into 340 doesnt sound cost effective. Thats just a quick parts comparison pistons and crank might be different as well
one engine is a f5bfl413e8002 other is a f5hfl463af012 both f5 engines but completely different

mountainrancher

I have owned a 340 and rented a 310 for the Summer a couple years ago. I liked the 310, especially for concrete and asphalt grading. My concern would be if you power up the 310 you still only have so much track on the ground. When I used it for heavier work the shorter track on the ground wasn't near as effective as the longer track on the 340. Power was an issue as well, but it is a 75 hp machine so I expected that. I think if you get the 310 to push 90 hp, I don't believe your going to be able to push that much more without spinning out. You can counterweight it down, which might help some, but those short tracks are the issue. I also am not sure that the radiator is the same between the two. I kinda doubt it, but I don't know that for sure. Keeping it cool may be an issue if the radiator is smaller. I know nothing about deleting the machine, but even if deleting the 340 was more of an issue, I think you would have more machine in the end. Personally, I never had a DEF issue on the 340 or any of my SCR machines. I work them hard, minimize idling and that philosophy has worked well for me on the DPF machines as well as the SCR machines after that. Carrying DEF around is a pain but I have never lost an hour due to it.

Ok, thank you this is perfect and the info I was looking for. The salesman keeps pitching the non-def machines at me, it gets cold where I'm at and apparently he gets complaints from the def system putting it into limp mode in the winter when the machine doesn't get warm enough before turning it off. I need the larger horsepower machine for a mulcher, and he keeps telling me the 310 is the same machine as the 340 minus the fuel pump and tune. I have a buddy that just bought a 340 we did some logging with it and I was very impressed. It looks like the 340 is the machine for me.

good news same injection pump on both models. Whats different are the turbos injectors camshafts cylinderhead and ecu. making a 310 into 340 doesnt sound cost effective. Thats just a quick parts comparison pistons and crank might be different as well
one engine is a f5bfl413e8002 other is a f5hfl463af012 both f5 engines but completely different

Excellent info, thank you! You guys are saving me a lot of $ and heartache.

Seems like a lot to go through just to make the loader arm pivots a weak link again. We've finally got enough gussets on them to stop the cracking

Yep, too much to go through for a subpar result.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think salesmen push the nonSCR machines simply because there is less to go wrong, that applies to all colors of machines. Sometimes they lose sight of the purpose of the machine. Trying to talk you into altering the 310 was a dumb statement. If 75 hp isn't enough to due what you want, then you need to get into an SCR machine. There is more opportunity for things to go wrong, but that is the cost now days of getting more power and production.

I would add this. The 450B and the wheeled SV340 run a bigger pump at 3500 psi. The TR340 A and B run at 3000 psi. I you are doing a lot of mulching the 450B would be a bigger better machine. You can also get Enhanced High Flow in all of them which kicks up the gpm to 4K. Not sure why they have not yet put the bigger pump in the 340. I hear they talk about it, but so far they have not. Something to think about.

Last edited:

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
We had a scr machine come in that had been delivered straight to the oil field. They ran that thing non-stop without any service for almost 2500 hrs. This has happened a few times, a machine shows up with high hours, I pull the access cover off and the oil filter says PDI.
The machine was pretty trashed, but I realized that SCR system kept functioning without codes as the air filters plugged up, the fuel filter restricted and then when into bypass and the oil turned to kerosene.
So it is possible for the SCR system to be the least of your worries

mountainrancher

I think salesmen push the nonSCR machines simply because there is less to go wrong, that applies to all colors of machines. Sometimes they lose sight of the purpose of the machine. Trying to talk you into altering the 310 was a dumb statement. If 75 hp isn't enough to due what you want, then you need to get into an SCR machine. There is more opportunity for things to go wrong, but that is the cost now days of getting more power and production.

I would add this. The 450B and the wheeled SV340 run a bigger pump at 3500 psi. The TR340 A and B run at 3000 psi. I you are doing a lot of mulching the 450B would be a bigger better machine. You can also get Enhanced High Flow in all of them which kicks up the gpm to 4K. Not sure why they have not yet put the bigger pump in the 340. I hear they talk about it, but so far they have not. Something to think about.

I think you're right about the salesman. I'm starting to get annoyed, but I will probably buy through him anyway because the the dealer has the best reputation for mechanics/pricing. Case in my area is now being sold by Titan. I have wheeled new holland 225L so I'm familiar with the general makeup of the machines.

Thanks for the further advice on the model, much appreciated. Maybe you can give me some tips here. I have about 1000 acres of mountain forest that was high grade logged about 30 years ago, and now regrowth needs to be address and the roads need to be cleared again. Most of the timber is garbage, that is, it is not quality that will entice a logger, and my forester told me to get rid of it and plant new, section by section. Because regrowth is starting to clog the roads, first I was going to start with the CTL and mulcher, probably a backhoe attachment, and probably one of these:

https://www.danielmfg.com/the-beak/

The mountain the forest is on goes from rolling hills to steep with slide rock. The logging roads are all pretty accessible still, but they need to get cleared out in the next couple of years. And I'm hoping I can entice a logger at some point to help out.

So I'm getting the CTL for this purpose and general building/grading/cleanup/fence & windbreak building/waterline & watertank installation.

Is this the approach you would take as far as equipment purchases?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My opinion would be the radial lift machine would be a good fit for what your doing. While it doesn't have the bigger hyd pump, if your a little more patient you can still get the work done. Be selective on the mulcher you get, if you order a 340B I would consider the Enhanced High Flow version and get the counterweight kit. I would try and find a mini ex instead of the back hoe attachment. I had one years ago and they may be better now, but it still wouldn't hold a candle to a 7500 pound or larger mini ex. Much better for clearing, digging waterlines and so forth. I would pass on the Beak for what your doing. It will be difficult to handle more than one log at a time and only having one pinch point will mean spending time positioning the attachment for the best fit. I think two independent grapples is much better for forestry work. I have this attachment Saber Tine Heavy-Duty Tine Grapple (quickattach.com). I use it to clear timber and really like it. There are many other options, but something similar to this would be better than the Beak for what your doing. The Saber tine description says its HD and it really is. I used it last year to move 100, 80' 5000k pound electrical poles and 200 smaller poles, it would worked like a champ and there was a huge amount of stress on it moving those around. Sounds like a cool project you have planned.

mountainrancher

My opinion would be the radial lift machine would be a good fit for what your doing. While it doesn't have the bigger hyd pump, if your a little more patient you can still get the work done. Be selective on the mulcher you get, if you order a 340B I would consider the Enhanced High Flow version and get the counterweight kit. I would try and find a mini ex instead of the back hoe attachment. I had one years ago and they may be better now, but it still wouldn't hold a candle to a 7500 pound or larger mini ex. Much better for clearing, digging waterlines and so forth. I would pass on the Beak for what your doing. It will be difficult to handle more than one log at a time and only having one pinch point will mean spending time positioning the attachment for the best fit. I think two independent grapples is much better for forestry work. I have this attachment Saber Tine Heavy-Duty Tine Grapple (quickattach.com). I use it to clear timber and really like it. There are many other options, but something similar to this would be better than the Beak for what your doing. The Saber tine description says its HD and it really is. I used it last year to move 100, 80' 5000k pound electrical poles and 200 smaller poles, it would worked like a champ and there was a huge amount of stress on it moving those around. Sounds like a cool project you have planned.

Yest to the enhanced high flow and counterweight kit on the 340. I'll pick up the grapple you mentioned. I also have a lot of boulders to move, can the grapple handle that or would I need the beak also?

When you say be picky with which mulcher I get, could you share a little more insight?

We had a scr machine come in that had been delivered straight to the oil field. They ran that thing non-stop without any service for almost 2500 hrs. This has happened a few times, a machine shows up with high hours, I pull the access cover off and the oil filter says PDI.
The machine was pretty trashed, but I realized that SCR system kept functioning without codes as the air filters plugged up, the fuel filter restricted and then when into bypass and the oil turned to kerosene.
So it is possible for the SCR system to be the least of your worries

I think the SCR system creates problems for people who dont' run them every day, and are based in cold climates. For example, I had 3 weeks of -30F temps this year. Apparently, if you don't fully warm up the machine prior to shutting it off, it will go into limp mode due to the DEF system. Then it's a $600 service call to clear a code.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The Saber bucket will handle the rocks no problem. I would check how far the grapple opens and make sure that the rocks you handle will fit within that span. On rocks that I move that are larger than than that I use a pallet forks.

I would select a mulcher that has the bite limiters on the drum. Denis Climaf brought this to the market, I think the patent expired as I see many more heads with it now. Here is the address. Denis Cimaf Mulching Attachments | Morbark Products Gyro-Trac is another with a similar head design Gyro-Trac | Forestry Mulching Machines & Equipment – GYROTRAC There are numerous OEMs with this tech now. Most everyone does this, but make sure they set the pump on the mulcher to your 340B.

The reason for this is it keeps the operator from overbitting the material. This will help you keep the hydraulics cooler by not going over relief as much. With the smaller pump on the 340, this will help a ton, also it makes running the mulcher much easier, since you cant eat more than it can bite at a time.