• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who provides the manuals?

Wes J

You guy who work on a large variety of equipment, who provides the technical info? Do your customers provide a service manual or do you have to buy it? Some companies like Eaton and Genie are very open with their manuals and you can download them from their websites for free, but they are the exception.

I'm jealous of the auto repair guys who can subscribe to a service like Alldata or Mitchell and get any info they want on any make a model of car you can imagine.

ETER

Wes, I spend a fair amount of time researching specs... often when municipalities buy equipment they get the complete set of manuals when the machine is purchased and are always willing to let you use them (especially if it means the the job will get done sooner and correctly!)
It is also good to have an "in" at the dealerships, AERA is also a good engine top and bottom end torque reference guide. And sometimes you just have to throw your best SWAG at it
Regards, Bob

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
Some of my customers have the service manuals. But for those that don't, I have CAT SIS, and sometimes I can download the others for $20-60. I figure if buying a manual that cheap keeps me from spinning my wheels in the mud for an hour or two because I don't have the specs, hydraulic or electrical schematics, then it's worth eating the expense. If the manual is over $100 I'll ask the owner to split the cost with me. Some people might charge the customer for the whole thing, not me. Having a good relationship with the dealer and buying parts from them regularly has helped me a lot. Sometimes they'll just give you the info, or even loan you the special tool to get the job done. I use this as a last resort so I don't wear out the welcome mat.

excavator

I provide most all the manuals, around here a customer with a complete set of manuals is a real rarity. I look at it the same way as buying tools, I don't expect the customer to provide tools to work on their equipment so why would I expect it for manuals. Plus, then they're mine and come home with me and I don't have to chase around looking for who has them.