1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Who is watching the henhouse

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Multiracer, Aug 12, 2016.

1. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    I like the idea of sending him YOUR bank account #'s..
    THAT WAY>> you could fly us around and we could help out personally with some of these broken machine issues.. get to meet some members, have a good meal or 2, see the country.. on and on..
    and not be stuck typing.. :drinkup

2. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

I was gonna make a joke about this, but reality beat me to the punch.

3. movindirt

movindirt Senior Member

I usually just hover my curser over the thread name if it looks funky and it pops up in the small window the contents of the thread, and if its a live $treaming thing I don't even bother looking at it, most often then not the name of the thread gives it away that is spam. I haven't ever clicked on one of the links in those threads and would advise the rest of you not to do it as well, never know what could happen.

4. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

The Clinton family basement needs a good IT guy from what I hear, also the DNC is looking.

Is there a way that spam posts can be removed (or moved to another folder for moderator review) automatically on one member's report. It doesn't seem that hard to set the standards, any member with less than one month, and five posts gets quarantined automatically when reported by any member of more than a year?

5. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

There's no way to automate that Delmer, sorry

6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    This is the best forum for equipment on the web and the moderators do a real fine job. I know not to many people visit the HTF site but the
    spam sandwich is getting pretty thick on HTF. Thank you.

Truck Shop

7. caterpillarmech

caterpillarmech Senior Member

Field Service Supervisor
    Ok, I have to admit that I did laugh out loud at your IT guys post. I love the fact that we are all on here before or after the work day. It is funny though, the house is quiet. Wife and boy are asleep and I'm laughing like an idiot from some of our post. Keep up the good work. It is much appreciated.

Maybe I should proof read more as I am a supervisor now.:Banghead

8. Pixie

Pixie Senior Member

killing trees, fixing stuff
    Just an idea that you may be using already… On another forum I frequent, whole blocks of IP addresses have been blocked. I gather that the numbers relate to geographical location.
    There may be a way for a legitimate person from those areas to write the admin… IDK. But if the spammers here are in the US ( or other English speaking country) it would be more difficult.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    We have entertained that idea but as you said it would also block legitimate users from those locations. With the advent of proxy servers, banning IP addresses has been rendered somewhat useless.

10. Buckethead

Buckethead Senior Member

Operator
    Give the mods a break, spammers are nothing if not relentless.

11. FarmWrench

FarmWrench Well-Known Member

Table Potato farmer
    Thank you Mods.

I spend most of my time on Newagtalk they were recently down because of a hack. They are funded by donations (yes I put in more than a case of beer $ for the years I've enjoyed that place.)

The hack got everyone's log in info. Most likely to try and probe any and all other accounts linked to an email with the same password. Also with the right software the maiden name and first pet questions can get found from people posting in a forum. That info is worth more than your SS#. Eventually if allowed they can destroy a site. The old combine forum is a wasteland.

Spamming works because victims self identify. Only the pay off guy step up and reply.

12. still learn'n

still learn'n Senior Member

I also go on new Ag talk and I'm kinda computer illiterate on some of this stuff but they make you type in a number code to login is that too keep some of the scammers off or what?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

That is called captcha and is supposed to capture automated posters. It is ineffective against genuine human posters.

14. still learn'n

still learn'n Senior Member

Thanks for the info! Thanks for all the time to all involved for an awesome forum.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

15. fixou812

fixou812 Senior Member

Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
    I'm not so sure i like his screen name. ....Thought i was in charge of all new screen names

16. fixou812

fixou812 Senior Member

Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
    How's Chaffee doing? Family graveyard is near there. ...the last Big Dig. 200 plus years on Genesee Rd Ps i like Genesee beer!

17. FarmWrench

FarmWrench Well-Known Member

Table Potato farmer
    Chaffee has had some excitement just up from cemetery. The intersection of Rt16and Genesse has had a series of serious accidents.

The town has finally come to peace with having a landfill and gravel mines......or at least I'm not hearing as much noise. Maybe Earl's closing and the decrease in CAVE (Citizens Against Virtually Everything, NIMBY on steroids) aren't a coincidence?