• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

White-GMC 94’ STC 330 N14

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Not meaning to be picky but I clicked on Heavy Equip on CL (Craigslist) and I ran across this ad and seems to be tons more not posted as I would love to have a view to see what I can find. Steep on some of the prices, but I think a bit of cash could talk. Wasn't looking at the cabs I was looking at the transmissions on the floor in this posting and seen they weren't posted. Not meaning to sound picky but if I could find the exact spec'ed transmission I wanted and was in good shape, might be worth it.
What's weird is it's a woman name with contact information with a man taking the pictures from the view of his boots.
https://olympic.craigslist.org/hvo/d/port-angeles-truck-cabs/7209407179.html

Truck Shop

So you don't have a issue later on-remove the slave valve on the front section and the plunger/pin. When installing the shift bar housing that plunger has to be removed or damage can result.
Install shift bar housing then plunger then slave valve. I have seen numerous front cases destroyed from people bolting the shift bar down without removing plunger. A dealer destroyed one
core returned to us. Sliding clutches in front section look to be in good shape. The slave valve should be
a A5000. And make sure when you bolt it back down you have the bolts in the correct spots-no long bolts
in the corners on right side, only one long 1/4" longer bolt in the left front for bracket and dowel.
Long bolts in corners can lock the counter shafts. Don't loose the detent balls and springs under tower.

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Went and looked at the link on CL and I found a RTO-12513 and he wanted $500, I didn’t bite on it but I did find this also for $500. Question is should I grab it? They will load it for me if I do.2DBE2FC0-3443-420B-85AF-84EC66728B3E.jpeg93A7B423-E835-482A-A882-F766B0B520BA.jpeg27A13523-56E7-4458-AADC-0C4CB60C2821.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bedways are a mess, no telling what else is wrong with it and may not even function well enough to make round bar from round bar. Will be three phase but does have a taper cut attachment on the beds. Scrap value less than $300

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Bedways are a mess, no telling what else is wrong with it and may not even function well enough to make round bar from round bar. Will be three phase but does have a taper cut attachment on the beds. Scrap value less than $300
Basically look elsewhere and leave this one be? Seen the 3 phase which I have genset that could run it if it's of worthiness, though seems to not be from replies.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
To keep it stable during use would need to set piers in a concrete floor with anchor bolts to hold it. There will be issues finding chuck parts, gear train, any small parts if any break or are worn too far.

crane operator

When the machine tool is covered with rust and not oil, you really just want to leave it alone. All the adjustments are pretty tight tolerance, and when it all gets rusted up, nothing works or slides or turns or holds tolerance the way its supposed to. The price between still useable old manual operated stuff, and junk that people think is still useable old stuff, is not that great.

On the transmission subject- I don't think for what you are driving and pulling, that you need any more than a 9 or 10 speed transmission. I think a 13 is just going to be added components that you don't need.

A 9 and a 13 only are different in the top 1/2 of the transmission, and from what I gathered, you feel your problem is not having enough down low. That's going to be your rear gear change. That trans you just got out of the pete looks pretty clean inside, get some of the air parts and save the $ that you think you need to spend on a different transmission, on your tractor or one of the other projects.

A 9 vs 13 can make a difference if you are in the seat every day putting in a full set of miles rowing gears. For just occasional use, and no heavier than you are going to be loaded, I see no reason not to just have a 9 speed.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
When the machine tool is covered with rust and not oil, you really just want to leave it alone. All the adjustments are pretty tight tolerance, and when it all gets rusted up, nothing works or slides or turns or holds tolerance the way its supposed to. The price between still useable old manual operated stuff, and junk that people think is still useable old stuff, is not that great.

On the transmission subject- I don't think for what you are driving and pulling, that you need any more than a 9 or 10 speed transmission. I think a 13 is just going to be added components that you don't need.

A 9 and a 13 only are different in the top 1/2 of the transmission, and from what I gathered, you feel your problem is not having enough down low. That's going to be your rear gear change. That trans you just got out of the pete looks pretty clean inside, get some of the air parts and save the $ that you think you need to spend on a different transmission, on your tractor or one of the other projects.

A 9 vs 13 can make a difference if you are in the seat every day putting in a full set of miles rowing gears. For just occasional use, and no heavier than you are going to be loaded, I see no reason not to just have a 9 speed.
I'm not touching that 13 as I said I didn't bite, too much rust on it with no cover where the shift tower was at. I called and told him wasn't interested in the lathe either, as I say there is time and reason for everything, just got to find the good in it. I figure to as grab the transmission if it was dirt cheap for someone might need it on here but he treated it like it was giving me a deal for $500 for condition it was in and that same vibe was felt about the lathe, something wasn't right.
The gaskets and new valves for the RTX are on order all total $200 from drivetrainamerica.com will be here Monday, hope to have transmission pulled by then maybe not as I need a couple days away from everything.

Truck Shop

The 9's and 10's are less weight and less moving parts, that's always a winner and the main reason fleets bought so many spec'ed that way. In the front section other than the bearings the only
other item to give a problem is the 10" long main shaft key which locks the limiting and blocking washers in-place on the main shaft. The torque ratings depend on several aspects of front and
rear section. In the front on later series the gears have a higher tooth count for more contact plus Eaton had multiple specifications for tempering and hard surfacing the gear train.
In the back section the output shaft went from 2.5 and ten spline to 2.75 and 54 spline, plus the counter shafts rotate on ball type bearings in the earlier models and the later high torques
went to tapered bearings with a preload setting.

But with all that said-A new RTLO18913A comes factory with a set of tempered gear train you can't buy when rebuilding, instead any gear train gear sets will come with RTLO16913A part numbers
and replacement gears. So when your done you have a RTLO189 with RTLO169 torque rated parts, that's just the way Eaton does it.

Tenwheeler

The 9's and 10's are less weight and less moving parts, that's always a winner and the main reason fleets bought so many spec'ed that way. In the front section other than the bearings the only
other item to give a problem is the 10" long main shaft key which locks the limiting and blocking washers in-place on the main shaft. The torque ratings depend on several aspects of front and
rear section. In the front on later series the gears have a higher tooth count for more contact plus Eaton had multiple specifications for tempering and hard surfacing the gear train.
In the back section the output shaft went from 2.5 and ten spline to 2.75 and 54 spline, plus the counter shafts rotate on ball type bearings in the earlier models and the later high torques

But with all that said-A new RTLO18913A comes factory with a set of tempered gear train you can't buy when rebuilding, instead any gear train gear sets will come with RTLO16913A part numbers
and replacement gears. So when your done you have a RTLO189 with RTLO169 torque rated parts, that's just the way Eaton does it.
Thanks again. I did not know that.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

Basically a RT... whatever initial lettering one wants to use for the nomenclature of a Eaton transmission a 12 would hold up to a 1400 ft lbs of torque, a 14 would hold up to 1600 ft lbs a 16 would hold up to 1800 ft lbs and etc.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I would surmise less than 65' of legal length without a permit since from tongue to end of shipping container would be about 51' to 53' at max which would be as if I had a 53' dry box on the end and can slide the 5th wheel forward couple feet forward if need be. I was just worried about the overhang.