• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which motor would you prefer?

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Thanks for the reply's so far.

On the look again, due to the hopper I found was sold out from underneath me. The one with the M11 is sold now, but the odometer didn't match the said miles. The 12.7 right next to it also the odometer didn't match, but ruled itself out with a little knock. Haven't been able to look at the 3176 since it's farther away (275 miles).

I guess I'll keep looking at various trucks, and try to find another reasonalbly price hopper.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Thanks for the reply's so far.

On the look again, due to the hopper I found was sold out from underneath me. The one with the M11 is sold now, but the odometer didn't match the said miles. The 12.7 right next to it also the odometer didn't match, but ruled itself out with a little knock. Haven't been able to look at the 3176 since it's farther away (275 miles).

I guess I'll keep looking at various trucks, and try to find another reasonalbly price hopper.

Going by what the farmers do here.Use the truck during planting and harvest season Stay in the shed rest of the time.If thats what you will do stay away from electronic engines.The little furry critters called rats will cost you a bundle.The old Mack R model with a 300 Maxidine and a 6 speed it one tough truck.Loggers used them for years.Bullet proof.Not pretty don't ride real smooth but they are tough.

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
I'm trying to help dad find a semi, with a very limited budget. Most trucks I see that fall into the very cheap range have m11, 12.7, and I saw a 3176. Any good bad to either mileage range they should have had an overhaul at?
LOL! That's why they are CHEAP! Nobody wants them unless it is some jockey who wants to run 50 trucks with 100 Steering wheel holders hauling containers 24/7.
Like everyone else said I'd go with an older conventional mechanical 3406 Cat, 400 Cummins, 13/15 spd. 3.90 ratio 40,000 plus rears if you're going to get off road much. I'd stay away from the electronic engines if you are on a budget. If you can find a Mack for the right price and have some experience with them and have part readily available you cant beat 'em.
Check out Craigslist in California lots of cheap trucks and equipment there.
One of the best trucks I ever owned was 1987 Ford LTL 9000 w/425hp 3406 Cat, 13 spd.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Running Mack 18 speeds here. In my book they shift fine. I will admit that they are a bit "klunky" and you have to have the ground speed and tach just right to make them slide into gear. They are tough as nails though. I also have a fuller 10 speed with a deep reduction in my Mack lowboy tractor. Easier shifting than the Mack 18 but I would buy another one in a heart beat if I needed one.

2fast

I'd like ot throw my $0.02 in I guess. For cost savings on the initial purchase it's fine to go woth a mechanical engine like said above, though I have never known anyone given the choice without the cost being a factor that'd take a 3406B over a 3406E.
The M11 is a fine engine, as is the 3176, though the valve train in the 3176 is overly complicated.
I did read several posts about 500+hp, I don't think the big HP is as important as the engine type for your application. I'm sure you can make any combination of engine/trans work, just try really hard to be practical more than going for the big #. You can always put a "600HP Cat sticker on the hood of your 325hp 3176 equipped truck if you want both bragging rights and the right equipmemnt for the job.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
It all boils down to one thing.If it makes you money and your happy you got the right truck.Any time you buy used unless you know who owned it last its' like rolling dice.I knew a man that had a GMC with a 238 Detroit with a 5 speed and 2 speed rear plus drag axle.The truck paid for it self his trailers,house and land.Would not sell it or trade it.I bet he has still got that ol truck too.

tdozer

We mostly run Mack's, set from 350hp up to 460hp and have always had good luck with all of them. The mechanical 350's in our DM's and older R models are cheap to work on and fairly easy on fuel. My neighbor has two old Ford LTL9000's running 3406's set to 425hp. I run them during harvest hauling corn or soybeans, I swear that they pull alot harder than our 460 mack does.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
RonG, I have mack 18 speeds here. If you don't have the engine speed and ground speed correct it just plain ain't gonna go in gear, no doubt about it. The sooner you learn that this is a transmission that you are going to do it her way you will get along just fine with her. I love my Mack 18's but I learned a long time ago that it was her way, or her way and if you didn't want to do it her way you could do it her way.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
LOL,the worst shifting truck I ever drove.:).Ron G

tootalltimmy

350 cummins is the best engine ever made. It is weak by todays standards but it will get the job done and is decent on fuel.

I am about to get reaquainted with the 350 Cummins. I have driven a truck with one in Fort Nelson B.C. I remember that they will rev up if you set the idle when the engine is cold. They don't like to be lugged.

Any other good or bad points?

Most of my 30 years trucking has been with Cat engines 1979 375hp and 1990 425hp 3406. Probably not the best on fuel but nice to drive.

I also remember a Mack I drove with a 300+ and Mack transmission that had as many speeds in reverse as it had in forward.

Last edited:

CalChando

you cant go wrong with a CAT. i love em, we have them in our Peterbilts, a 550 and 600. but we just rebuilt a KW and put back in the original detroit 8V92, it sounds pretty amazing. there are a lot of youtube vids with that engine either just idling or going through the gears.

freedom digger

CalChando sure had it right about the detroit 8v92. Anybody who ever had a v8 muscle car has got to love the sound of a 8v92 under power or on the jake.I'm pretty sure the sound adds at least 100 mental horsepower.Just don't roll down the window and plan on listening to the radio.
I just parked my 1979 Chevy Bison(Gmc General)with an 8v92 silver 475hp and started running the new to me truck. A 2003 Mack Granite running an E7 427hp it seems to pull about the same but it sure doesn't feel like I'm going as fast.I keep having to look at the spedo.

OldMule

An old big cam cummins is hard to beat. I pull logs with an 85 model ford ltl 9000 with a 350 big cam and a 13 speed . The newer trucks with the high horsepower electronic engines sometimes pass me, but that dont bother me none. The old gal is pretty cheap on fuel ,has ben reliable, and sounds sweet when she's pulling . What more could a man ask for.

Deerehauler

I think the old (1976) ones would have had a small cam, which caused problems with regard to wear. The later ones had BIG CAM cast into the side of the block and were much more durable. My favorite Cummins is either the 350 or 400 Big Cam III. When they went to the Big Cam IV they changed the cooling system into a complex split system which was not effective unless everything was perfect. NTC855 Cummins engines do NOT tolerate overheating and will score pistons/liners easily.

hollywood

Occupation
Coporate Technician Trainer
I would get something with a Cummins N14 in it. It is a very easy engine to work on.

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
3406 a or b models I can't remember are pullers. My old man ran a 79 KW with one in it and a ceramic clutch, anyone but him tried drivin it they'd spinn off a driveshaft. I've heard some of the older smaller sized CAT's aren't really worth it to rebuild though.

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
the CAT motor i'm thinking of was painted white.