• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which excavator do you recommend for this type of land?

roy85

Hello everyone,

We live in a mountainous area that has a lot of rocks/boulders underground, the work usually entails digging them up and breaking them into smaller pieces, the main machine that is used for this kind of work(which is charged by the hour) in my area is the Caterpillar 320.

I would now like to buy my own excavator and give this business a go, but most of the machinery in my area is old(model year 2000 or older), and I was wondering which excavator do you guys recommend other than the Cat 320 as from my research, model years 2008+ Hyundais, Komatsus and even Volvos are cheaper, would you recommend any or is my best bet to stick to the Cat 320?

Many thanks,

Roy

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.12.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.13.02 PM.png

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Tata Hitachi from India. No electronics is a plus. :D

roy85

I would agree, but are similar models to a 320 (or the brand itself) supported at the OP's location.?

Tata Hitachi from India. No electronics is a plus. :D

Thank you for the replies guys, unfortunately we do not have Hitachi in my area, the only available options are:

Cat 320D
Komatsu PC200
Hyundai Robex 300LC
Volvo ec240B

Which would you recommend?

Roy

Tags

So I think what it all would come down to his which manufacturer is best supported in your area, if Cats are prevalent, then I would imagine that they are the best supported. What I mean is availability of machine parts and ease of service/repair by independent mechanics or dealer mechanics. That’s what will allow your business to evolve, if you buy a machine that is poorly supported, your chances of growing or succeeding are slim.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That's the problem in that part of the World. There are very few (or even no) independent mechanics. Almost everything is done via dealers, or for really large customers they have their own mechaincs. For the OP with one machine he's going to be pretty well lmiited to using a dealer for his parts and service work.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Roy!

If had to choose from the list you provided it's very hard to beat a Cat D series excavator. The C and D model Cats were some of the best Cat made IMO.

gwhammy

If you are dealing with rock all the time I would get the biggest machine available. Rock and hammers are hard on equipment.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Thank you for the replies guys, unfortunately we do not have Hitachi in my area, the only available options are:

Cat 320D
Komatsu PC200
Hyundai Robex 300LC
Volvo ec240B

Which would you recommend?

Roy

From the looks of that mess, something twice as big as you listed.

Ed

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
320 size can make it through a lot of rock. But from what I see in the picture I recommend carpet bombing the entire property first might be cheaper to rent a bigger machine at least to get things started

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is a hammer attachment on whatever excavator you buy an option.?
It would also be nice to have some size reference regarding just how large those rocks are in your photo, and an answer to the question how hard is that rock.? From the photos it appears quite well weathered.

roy85

So I think what it all would come down to his which manufacturer is best supported in your area, if Cats are prevalent, then I would imagine that they are the best supported. What I mean is availability of machine parts and ease of service/repair by independent mechanics or dealer mechanics. That’s what will allow your business to evolve, if you buy a machine that is poorly supported, your chances of growing or succeeding are slim.

That's the problem in that part of the World. There are very few (or even no) independent mechanics. Almost everything is done via dealers, or for really large customers they have their own mechaincs. For the OP with one machine he's going to be pretty well lmiited to using a dealer for his parts and service work.

Indeed, that's why I specified the brands as they are the only ones we have some parts for.

If you are dealing with rock all the time I would get the biggest machine available. Rock and hammers are hard on equipment.

Is a hammer attachment on whatever excavator you buy an option.?
It would also be nice to have some size reference regarding just how large those rocks are in your photo, and an answer to the question how hard is that rock.? From the photos it appears quite well weathered.

Yes I should have mentioned that, we will definitely need using hammers too, from what I've gathered from all the members so far is that all of the machines I've listed are quite similar in terms of excavating or hammer capacities, so I should go for the one that has the most spare parts available is that correct?