• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which backhoe would you buy and why?

Which backhoe would you buy and why?

• Case 580L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Case 580 Super L

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Case 580L Series 2

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Case 590L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Case 590 Super L

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Case 580M

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Cat 420D/420D IT

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Cat 430D/430D IT

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
My opinion on brand when it comes to backhoes, whatever you run and are used to is the best. All backhoes feel and operate different. If you are used to a Case, when you get in a Cat it's going to feel like you have a septic tank hanging on the hoe. If you're used to a Cat, you're going to think the Case is built too light.

Well put. If thats going to be the case, then I'd probably be most used to Cat. I think I could adjust to 2-stick Case controls just fine but the 4-stick Case controls I'd need a lil' practice to pick back up. I drove a Case before a Cat and I think I feel fine in both. In fact when I drove Cat for the first time, odly enough they did feel pretty heavy to me.

I choose the 420D , reasons being they are more fuel efficient than the Case and have more standard features than the Case backhoes listed . I have seen a 580 Super M Deluxe that has the taller front tires , nicer interior , pilot controls etc. The 580 SL is probably less problematic than the 420 , but that's just my opinion. All the machines on the list are solid.

Thanks, DickJr. I'd certainly try out a 420D IT if I can find one under $30k.

The outfit I currently work for had Cat 420E for several years and I rather enjoyed operating them, as well as the Cat loaders. They switch every four years back and forth between Cat and Deere for some reason - probably keep local business happy. Anyway, I gotta say that I prefer the Cat cabs and interior over the new JD's for the simple reason of room for operator. I'm a big fellow and to swivel the seat for backhoe operation is a chore! Now if you are a skinny little fellow, this will not be a problem and you can whirl around like you were in a barber chair! Well, not really, but you get my drift! Creature comfort, and ease of accessibility to controls means a lot when you are confined to the cab for many hours. I do like many of the features in the new JD's, but that log in screen on the computer gets annoying quickly! I still think the Cats are a more operator friendly machine overall, and I'm an old Cat man do ! :)

I hear ya. The 430E IT we have at work has a rear screen and I dont even know what it does. Havent messed with it at all but I assume its to control rear attachments.

Shimmy1

Thanks, DickJr. I'd certainly try out a 420D IT if I can find one under $30k.

Good luck, but I don't believe that's going to happen, unless you are going to be satisfied with open cab, 2WD, standard stick, 10,000 hrs, take your pick of any two, possibly three. I might be wrong though.

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Good luck, but I don't believe that's going to happen, unless you are going to be satisfied with open cab, 2WD, standard stick, 10,000 hrs, take your pick of any two, possibly three. I might be wrong though.

I hear ya, and thats whats really keeping me from going with Cat is the pricetag. $30k buys a 3,000 hour (or less) 590SL or higher hour 580M.

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Just realized that hoe doesnt even have an extendahoe. $46k and It doesnt even come with an extendable stick...

Shimmy1

Ah, Caterpillar. If I had disposable income I'd probably run all Cat. But, I'm a working man and cost does matter. This just shows that even if the first owner makes back his initial upfront costs, the next guy still has to pay more. And by the second owner, the chances of that machine needing repairs are greatly increased as well. So that second owner has even less chance of making the same with said machine as he could with a different brand.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I have a 1997 4x4 JD 310E Xtenda hoe that has been flawless has 4K hours now and has never had anything but a few hoses replaced. Starts on the coldest day, has plenty of power, great cab, I will buy another Deere without hesitation. These age backhoes can be bought for 25k and would fit in any budget

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Ah, Caterpillar. If I had disposable income I'd probably run all Cat. But, I'm a working man and cost does matter. This just shows that even if the first owner makes back his initial upfront costs, the next guy still has to pay more. And by the second owner, the chances of that machine needing repairs are greatly increased as well. So that second owner has even less chance of making the same with said machine as he could with a different brand.

I completely agree. After seeing these construction companies with full Cat fleets I now have alot of respect for how successful they must be to afford them.

See, I love Case prices. Been finding 590SL's with this pricetag (or less) all over the place.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9906523

This one has good hours and just looks like it needs a bit of paint and hose clean up on the stick. Maybe a seat reupholster as well. Kinda want to find a hoe that needs some minor cleanup, would make a fun project. :)

Btw, why is it so damn hard for these guys to figure out how to put the Case booms in transport mode? Its not that difficult.

Last edited:

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician