• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which backhoe should I pick!!!

Peter23

Hello,

These are the backhoes I am interested in:

1996 Ford 555B
6000 hours
good overall condition
$13,000

1974 Case 580C
hours unknown
good condition
$10,000

1987 Case 680K
9600 hours
good overall condition, extendahoe, 2 buckets
$12,0000

I dont have any pics at the moment but as soon I get them i will post them I apologize. I am new to backhoes So I need help to find the right Backhoe for me. I checked online on machinerytrader.com for what these backhoes going for and found each of them for a couple grants cheaper. I live in Canada, Manitoba that could be the reason.

I will use the backhoe for pond work and planting trees. All the backhoes are 2wd. I dont know what backhoe i should go for mostly I need help with the price as I dont want to pay more than the machine is worth.

I will be thankful for any help!

Last edited:

Deere500a

No time on a Ford hoe but the Case 680?E I was on, sucked getting in and out of the cab was no fun, instead of a box to step on you had little bitty steps you had to find with your feet backwards. It has airbrakes, had to wait for it to build air, the foot pedals were three inches apart trying to step on them evenly I could always feel her pulling to one side. The number one irritating design of that hoe was that the battery box is on the front end where the counter weight should be and with the cover gone you had to make sure wood or other materials didn't take out the batteries. The back end was nice but that was it. The 580C is ok but priced high. Goodluck

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Since your askin .If it was Case I would start to look for the Super E and up .That was the start Case used Cumins engines
If it was John Deere a late 80s 310 only because dealer network .
But what ever you choose get an operator that has thousands of Hours running backhoes and see if the seller will let him test it out .
At 9000hrs Id say the shuttle / tourqe converter could bid you a do . if you get my point .This is the part of the machine that is technical and very expensive to repair .
Regards Bill

cat320

Charter Member
A 1974 Case C i was pretty sure '76 was the first year for the C plactform sure it was not the B there are '90 models L's 4x4 e-hoe for around $22 $10K for a '74 seams way to high when you could go to a newer machine for the same amount not saying that the $22 is the same price . to be honest if i had just those three i would keep looking.

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
I would get a 4wd machine with a 4 in 1 bucket for what your doing. You'd be kicking yourself everytime you get stuck or spin, because then you have to use the front loader or the backhoe itself.

Spend the money on a good machine that suits you, and your conditions.

case 580sm

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
+1 for 4wd, To be honest get a good machine, do all the work you need to do, then resell it. Or if you have the mechanical knowledge get a reasonable machine, clean it up and you will have a reliable workhorse for many years to come.

JDOFMEMI

As the others have said, I would keep searching. If you are going to do pond work, and it sounds as if you have little experience, a 4 wheel drive will be invaluable.

It sounds like someone is selling a story with the Ford. If it is a 96, it would be a D or E model, as I believe the E started in '96. It is more likely an '86.

One thing to check out is which has a dealer that will support you with parts in your area, and which of those dealers will treat you decently?

kjl

I had a 1985 Ford 555, no issues with it and very strong. I now have a 580K and really like the extend-a-hoe for pond digging

MaddenTate

Terex 760 4x4 Extenda-hoe, you can sometimes find them almost new for $25,000 - $30,000 on Machinery Trader and unfortunately there are some on there longer for as much as $76,000, but they set and set and set. The realisticly priced ones sell. For the price and the work they will do, There IS NO COMPARISON even if you have to pay as much as $35-$45,000 but I'd want a cab & air for that.

Hello,

These are the backhoes I am interested in:

1996 Ford 555B
6000 hours
good overall condition
$13,000

1974 Case 580C
hours unknown
good condition
$10,000

1987 Case 680K
9600 hours
good overall condition, extendahoe, 2 buckets
$12,0000

I dont have any pics at the moment but as soon I get them i will post them I apologize. I am new to backhoes So I need help to find the right Backhoe for me. I checked online on machinerytrader.com for what these backhoes going for and found each of them for a couple grants cheaper. I live in Canada, Manitoba that could be the reason.

I will use the backhoe for pond work and planting trees. All the backhoes are 2wd. I dont know what backhoe i should go for mostly I need help with the price as I dont want to pay more than the machine is worth.

I will be thankful for any help!

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
Over here in ireland Terex backhoe's arent great. I know someone who had a 03 case backhoe and all he done was break concrete on roads with it. In 07 he went for a terex backhoe and within the year he was back in a case, the terex didnt stick it. Ive also spoke to drivers who work for firms who dont owned the machines and they dont like them.
Looking at your 3 machines, your budget is around 10k to 13k............. i wouldnt worry about year too much. What do you plan to do with the machine, also what dealers or part suppliers are close by. From reading other post's on this site, Case and John Deere seem to be the popular machine, where i am everyone is Jcb mad.......... Ive seen really good 1990 jcb's and dirt 2004 ones. What machines have you worked and what would be your preforance.........