1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where to find Original Cat Machinery Blueprints ?

Discussion in 'Computer Applications and 3D Modeling' started by r@m, Jun 20, 2015.

1. r@m

r@m Member

Hi guys, I'm a 3D modeler who has been commissioned to make illustrations of CAT machines for use in training material for GPS installations.

While the web is a great place for finding photo references, I would like detailed blueprints and measurements of the machines and their components on order to accurately portray the machines.

I'm not sure where to start or even if these would be "publicly" available, obviously my first port of call was the main CAT site, but I have had no response as of yet.

Ideally I'd like to model these 100% true to life and animate the moving parts, here's an example of the level of detail I'm aiming for....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M63ACJqJMX0

Thanks in advance, and info and advice would be appreciated.

2. r@m

r@m Member

I cna't seem to edit my OP, so here are a couple of wire-frames of the models I have done so far, a DK5 and 966k..

mV0704P.jpg

N88NCnV.jpg

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Try searching the internet for a "Specalog" of the machine model you are looking for. It'll be an Adobe pdf file and somewhere within it will be all the major dimensions of the machine. They won't be absolutely 100% accurate but I would think they will be close enough for your purposes, whether they will be sufficiently detailed is another matter.

4. r@m

r@m Member

Hey, Nige, thanks, yes I have all of those, also the 360 degree views on the CAT website, I can do these from photographs, but it would be much easier if I had more detail, especially of the component parts.

Anyway it's early days, I've put out a lot of feelers and will see what comes back.

CAT just got back to me and pointed me to the Specalog's too....not looking good ;)

5. Knocker of rock

Knocker of rock Well-Known Member

I hope you are who you say you are, and not somebody looking for an easy way to back-engineer a machine

6. r@m

r@m Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  7. Knocker of rock

Knocker of rock Well-Known Member

Sorry that anyone would question a person with three whole posts wanting CAT blueprints

8. r@m

r@m Member

Now 4, 5 including this one.

9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Having worked with Cat machinery for more than a few years and seen their engineering drawings I can tell you that there are no dimensioned drawings of completely assembled machines, only individual piece parts and certain assemblies.

10. digger doug

digger doug Senior Member

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    Don't YOU be so smug.....you wouldn't have all the "tolerances"....those are a wee bit important....

Exactly.

11. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

What technical value is there in the length of a machine's hood or cab glass???? If you can't contribute to the guys thread stop trolling

uffex likes this.