1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

where to find a new guage

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by JoshC, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JoshC

JoshC Member

I'm look for the transmission temp gauge for an '84 JD 550A crawler dozer. Any have any ideas?

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Hate to ask the obvious, but doesn't John Deere sell them?

If not maybe go to a NAPA or other parts house and look through their books on gauges for generic transmission oil temperature gauges.

Or if all else fails go to a Cat dealer and find the oldest parts guy and have him look up a transmission/torque converter gauge for anyone of many older machines. If you can't find a mechanical gauge, if that is what you have now, an electric gauge should work fine as long as you get the matching sender, just be sure it is for the correct voltage, 12 or 24 volt, of the 550A

3. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Apparently Deere does still sell it, but it's insanely expensive? Stewart Warner is your friend I think....

4. HD21A

HD21A Well-Known Member

Manage and operate family farm
  5. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

6. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Just for fun I did look up the Cat converter Temp. mechanical gauge for an old 966C. Those go for around $75.00!

7. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

The Deere one appears to be electric and a couple minutes online found prices from around $400, upwards to near a grand.... For that price I'd install a damn espresso maker that spit out a cup of coffee for me when it got good and hot!

8. JoshC

JoshC Member

Wow that you very much. Deere seems to be awful proud of that product!

9. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

And people complain about Cat prices?????

I did a search online for that Stewart Warner gauge HD21A posted and found one at SummitRacing for $19.29 and that includes the sender!

10. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

I dont complain about Cat prices Volvo on the other hand :eek:

11. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

and Komatsu.....

12. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Yes and JCB!!! Plus sometimes a simple part is only available as part of an assembly.