• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where to buy

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Heavy duty threaded rod for pulling pins? I sometimes just use threaded rod from the hardware store but if it takes any effort to pull anything it disintegrates. When I worked for Volvo we had some 30mm rod that was indestructible but iirc it cost like $900 for 48” or something ridiculous like that. Anyway, does anyone know where to but something decent?

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I use left hand thread coil rod, like they use for tying concrete forms together. The left hand threaded stuff has a lot hire tensile strength. With the rolled thread it is virtually impossible to screw the threads up.

Mike L

Occupation
Thanks. I’ll check into that. I’m also looking for specific sizes like 7/8”, 1”, etc for pins already have a threaded hole in them so I can just screw the rod into the pin and rig up my puller.

mitch504

B7 rod is roughly equivalent to a grade 8 bolt. Hardware store rod is roughly equivalent to a grade 2 bolt. My cousin owns a huge machine and welding outfit. They stock B7 rod, so that's where I get mine.

Mike L

Occupation
Check McMaster Carr, just google them. Their website is simple to navagate and if they don't have it, you don't need it...lol. Their shipping is fast too, like Usain Bolt fast.

Ed
I don’t know how I survived this long without using thee guys! Like a toys r us for big boys!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Fastenal B7 22mm rod and I have adapters made. 1 meter chunk used to be $65 or so and some 22mm work holding nuts. I use 22 cuz it fits through the center of my RCH cylinders.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I used to get the stuff here from a company called All Metric, formerly known as High Strength Bolt. It was Grade 8 ready rod. The other place that carried it was Tacoma Screw. I made all kinds of pull rigs for using with a hollow ram.

JD955SC

Fastenal has some.
Cat dealers too. Different sizes, inquire with parts counter.

God I hate pulling stuff, we have a nice chip in the ballistic window in the shop where a press rod attempted to assassinate the field service dispatcher. I’ve had a few rods snap on me, always livens up a dull day.

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Fastenal has some.

God I hate pulling stuff, we have a nice chip in the ballistic window in the shop where a press rod attempted to assassinate the field service dispatcher. I’ve had a few rods snap on me, always livens up a dull day.
Oil soaked canvas tarps. Really lessens the momentum.
Since switching to the B7 rods, haven't had one fail. And I had a full 30 ton on it.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
FWF . I learned what RCH is/was from a punk ace keed. Smiles.
???
I was referring to enerpac RCH20 which is a 20ton returning hollow cylinder. I used to listen to punk, never heard of ace keed. Was that around when iggy was a stooge or more towards DRI ?

Flat Thunder Channel

I downloaded the McMaster Carr app earlier this year..... If they do not have it, you probably don't need it. So much readily shipped at the touch of a button.

I have purchased B7 threaded rod from them before and have had good luck with the material. You can also request it from your local fastener/hardware supplier. I purchased a ton of 3/4 threaded rod for a project from a local shop supply business. They were much more affordable than your typical Fastenal & McMaster pricing.

mks

Occupation
None currently
Mister,
Much respect.
It was a poorly executed attempt at humor.
Red c##t hair.
I learned from a bicycle wrench whom I respect.
I'm twice his age. Hence smiles.

Cmark

Here's Cat's offerings. Adapters and studs start from page 44.

Attachments

• D 10 Pullers and Drivers.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Mike L

Occupation
Fastenal has some.

I’be worked with some field service dispatchers. I’m not sure that I believe it was an accident!