• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where has everyone gone?

Tinkerer

Well I'm not/never was a logger so I never have anything to post here. But I sure like to read about it and seeing the photos especially old ones. For an amateur I have cut a lot of trees down thru the years tho.

Hobbytime

the slowdown is in all forums, for a multitude of reasons, I think forums are becoming old school as the new generation is stuck in social media, in time I think most forums will dry up or become so stagnant that noone will visit them, also the spam and password fiascos of the past has chased many away, along with all the forced advertisement you have to see or watch just to post or get answers, I dont do any of the social medias, but I can see down the line it will be the only option...and these forums will join a long list of obsolete items or places we use to use..:(

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have a page on Facebook but don't use it much. I just check on relatives once in awhile. In the past I could not use it at all for professional reasons. I check here at least twice a day. I'm always looking to learn something new and maybe provide some experience if I have it. I have had customers, colleagues and acquaintances all tell me that Rusty Grapple's Facebook page is well worth the look and If I knew how to get there I sure would. That doesn't mean in any way that I would stop visiting this site.

If you want photos drop a line in about what you would like to see. Over the last twenty one years I have inspected and appraised thousands of machines and have more than a hundred thousand photos of most anything used in construction and forestry, some stuff in agriculture and a few things in small to mid sized mining. My travels were mainly in Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and southern Alaska but have traveled the US as well.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Most everybody has gone to facebook for several reasons. For me it is the following reasons I am using facebook:
1. Real-time conversations and instant response times from the people you need information from
2. The ability to edit or add information as it comes to you in real time
3. Easier faster picture uploading and the ability to save pictures in large groups or albums, permanently for easier viewing
4. The ability to instantly share large PDF files and excel spreadsheets, etc (brochures, machinery lists, high resolution photographs, etc)

I still check in here 1 or 2 times a month but usually the new information I see here is information or pictures that I have already seen on facebook. The people I connected with on these forums are all on facebook and most are uploading all their pics and information there. I rarely log in here anymore but your question is a legitimate one and I felt I could offer and answer with one person's perspective (mine).

The threads here are cool, but now we have whole facebook pages dedicated to certain manufacturers or certain logging operations. A thread here becomes a whole page over there. The other issue is nearly everyone has a facebook page now and pics or info posted there reaches a much larger audience than we have here.

All that said- am I ready to give up on these forums? No. They have value and there is a wealth of great information here posted over the last 10 years or so.

The 2 are very different. There is value in both.

I hope that helps?
Great to hear you are still about, Rusty G, some of my favorite threads on here and certainly the one that came up in google and led me to this site, have your old handle at the top.

Would like to post pictures of the forestry contracting we get up to, but it's small scale compared to what gets posted on here I'm not sure it'd be interesting to anyone. So, I just check in every day and look forward to a few pictures of proper logging. Many thanks to all who do put up there stories and pictures.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
I have a page on Facebook but don't use it much. I just check on relatives once in awhile. In the past I could not use it at all for professional reasons. I check here at least twice a day. I'm always looking to learn something new and maybe provide some experience if I have it. I have had customers, colleagues and acquaintances all tell me that Rusty Grapple's Facebook page is well worth the look and If I knew how to get there I sure would. That doesn't mean in any way that I would stop visiting this site.

If you want photos drop a line in about what you would like to see. Over the last twenty one years I have inspected and appraised thousands of machines and have more than a hundred thousand photos of most anything used in construction and forestry, some stuff in agriculture and a few things in small to mid sized mining. My travels were mainly in Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and southern Alaska but have traveled the US as well.
John C, I have great interest in shovel loggers and service trucks of any shape and size, if you come across any pictures of them I'd sure like to see!

callingtheshop

Hello everyone, I was off here for months, mainly good weather stuff and since winter has come a bit and will soon be here big time I have the time to visit and really enjoy this forum. I'm out of photos, so won't be posting anymore unless I discover any that were unposted. I too tried Facebook a few years ago after I was asked to post some of my back country photos and got one or two people who I had never heard of asking to be my friend. WTF? I value my privacy a lot so I removed the photos and tried to remove my profile and the damn site wouldn't let me so I changed all I could on my profile to BS and walked away from it and have never returned. Thanks to all for posting so many interesting items and photos. DiamondT, I was in Dupuyer Montana Sunday 26-Nov-17 for lunch at Buffalo Joe's and had a look for the old Diamond T truck but it's gone now.