1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Where does old machinery go to die ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by mancavedweller, Sep 28, 2020.

1. mancavedweller

mancavedweller Active Member

Based in Melbourne, Australia.

Just wondering, where does machinery that's ready to be retired, go to. Cars go to car wreckers, but I've never heard of any such thing for machinery. Machines like excavators, bobcats, tracked dumpers, forklifts, industrial machines, etc.

I've got my own little shop with 3D cad, lathe, mill, cnc plasma, etc, so have some capabilities. I'm looking at making a purpose built machine, but rather than building from scratch would like to browse any such wrecking places to see what parts are available that I could use.

Flat Thunder Channel likes this.
  2. boaterri

boaterri Well-Known Member

Retired Television Engineer
    I don't know about old machinery, but in the US old TV mobile units find their way to Hawaii. The few remotes I have done there, some of the trucks should have been pushed off the ship as they went over from the Continental US.

DMiller likes this.
  3. Pixie

Pixie Well-Known Member

killing trees, fixing stuff
    There's heavy equip dismantling yards around the US. I bought an excavator door from one. They could not tell me if it would fit. I took a gamble after getting the guy to measure.

DMiller likes this.
  4. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    I always assumed that they sat around until scrap prices went up and someone took the time to cut it up and haul it in.

HardRockNM, oarwhat, hvy 1ton and 2 others like this.
  5. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

What are you wanting to build? I have been and worked at the places your talking about and most of the machines are totaly junk worn out.

DMiller likes this.
  6. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

There are various parts and salvage yards around.

we buy used machines and part them out too in our used parts department too

DMiller likes this.
  7. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Retired Combat Vet Mechanic/Welder
    In the US they go to Ritchie Bros. and sold as lightly used ;)

8. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Senior Member

We had a good equipment boneyard near here for many years but maybe 10 years or so ago they closed it down. Sales were way down, price of scrap was high and pressure from the greenies to clean it up was what I heard. Torched and shredded much of it, sorted it to railcars and, I assume, sent it it China.

As for industrial machines like mills, lathes etc. Most of that goes straight to scrap. My Dad was in the machinery business for 30 years. Hanging around sometimes I saw many machines get put in dumpsters. There is such a surplus on the market now that scrapping it is a better tax write off in some cases, so good running machines are hit with sledge hammers and scrapped. Was picking up a few purchases at an auction last year and saw the scrapper there, power was cut to the building and so they literally grab the machine with a huge forklift however they can, rip it off the mounts and a dumpster it. Anything too big, they had an excavator with a shear standing by.

DMiller likes this.
  9. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

It seemed like they were all ending up my yard for a while. Most old machines here go to the scrap yard. I have bought some decent machines off the scrap yard here , a good running D8 H and a D6 9U that came from an estate cleanup and was in excellent shape. I used to wonder why decent machines were just scrapped. After years in business im begining to understand its mostly taxes drive good stuff to the scrappers ,things like capital gains and recaptured depreciation that force us to think ,just scrap it. Pile some new regulation onto that and the fate of old iron is sealed no matter how good it is. I wonder how long before society realizes how we are being sucked down the drain by this way of thinking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    A lot of them stay where they die:D

John C., DMiller and Spud_Monkey like this.
  11. mancavedweller

mancavedweller Active Member

Thanks for the replies lads.

I'll have to dig a little bit to find out where stuff goes here (if not straight to the metal recyclers).

Old Doug, what I'm looking at building will have forklift tynes, and a tracked base. The tracked base would be something like a tracked dumper would have. Even if the hydraulics are worn out, just having the base "chunks of metal" will be a good start to build on.

DMiller likes this.
  12. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

a lot of machine tools are scrapped because of obsoletion too. Machine shop near me has a huge scrap pile of older CNC machines because they are no longer supported

DMiller likes this.
  13. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

the older machines have their issues too. Parts availability, technology has outpaced them (we sell very few dozers that don’t get grade control), and in some ways they can be much more aggravating to work on.

DMiller likes this.
  14. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Retired Combat Vet Mechanic/Welder
    Two words, disposable economy

15. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

My wife would say too much of it finds its way to my house....I enjoy fixing things people have once forgotten and deemed unusable. It's saving them from the scrap pile I suppose.

Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Just delivered my spare parts donor to a scrapper, had several light medium and heavy trucks being torn asunder were several other heavy machines going under the gas axe, dozers and loaders, in the same pile were lathes mills drill presses in varied levels of decay/rust where could see the wear on bed ways or guide slots. Motors were three phase and removed to break for Copper or Aluminum, the machines were just going to a recycle furnace in IL either Granite City or Alton to be converted to base pipe or steel forms, aluminum for pop and barley soda cans where aluminum heavy truck and car wheels being sorted to go similarly.

17. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Some of it evidently goes to one of my customers every time they show up at an auction. Then they bitch and whine cause it costs so much to fix all the issues.

HardRockNM, DB2, BSAA65LB and 4 others like this.
  18. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

The manual machines are very cheap now cnc has replaced them. Cncs are cheaper and easyer to build and less labor in running them. I bought most of my stuff when manual stuff was still valuable now there worth scrap iron. The bigest most eapencive thing i bought is the only thing i have that i want to get rid of thats how things happen.

DMiller and Spud_Monkey like this.
  19. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

My yard. If its not dead when it gets here, let me work on it a while.

DMiller and Pixie like this.
  20. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

My yards looking kind of like a boneyard, Kenworth and its donor ripped apart,75 ton American house off its truck,45 ton opened up. Trouble is work keeps coming in leaving no time for repairs,cant find anyone around here right now that likes working on old stuff.

DMiller likes this.