• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where do you buy Shop Service Manuals from for CAT ?

barnfab

I am looking for what I believe CAT call a Shop Service manual for my 287B . I have looked on CAT Documents but they don't seem to offer them for download or purchase.

I have found one on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...131036&hash=item5b69505c6d:g:h0UAAOSwG5teBS60

I had a look at Heavy Equipment manuals and see he offers a version which is just a printed our dump from the CAT Service System and at over 4000 pages I covers a lot of stuff - https://www.heavy-equipmentmanual.c...ice-repair-manual?_pos=1&_sid=9e4d088d8&_ss=r

Happy to spend the $$$ as time is money and having the correct manual will save me more than it costs on the 1st few repairs.

Are there any other sources I can purchase the full Shop manual from ?

barnfab

Thanks for the info, anyone have a source to buy it online ? I was hopeful cat documents had it but they only have the user one

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Servicemanualpro is one option.
You can also buy O&M and Parts Manuals online from Cat Publications - https://catpublications.com/
The advantage from the Cat site is that they do Adobe pdf downloads that you can have immediately on payment, and generally they are cheaper than a CD from Servicemanualpro.

SMP are often the only online option for a full service manual, but knowing the Cat Reference Number for the publication from the SMP web site (RENR4880 as shown in the link above is also good for your specific Serial Number) you can take a look on eBay or similar and see if there are any up for sale. Hint: Compare the offers on eBay with a CD version from SMP, you may find that the latter is cheaper.

ThreeCW

I found that Service Manual Pro sells both on their own website and also on eBay. For my particular manual (Cat 242B), Service Manual Pro is considerably cheaper on eBay than on their own website for the paper version. Yet the CD version is cheaper on their website and more expensive on eBay. It pays to shop around.

barnfab

For anyone who is interested I ended up taking a chance and buying the download one from here - https://www.heavy-equipmentmanual.c...ice-repair-manual?_pos=1&_sid=9e4d088d8&_ss=r

Now it is not an Actual Service manual as such and seems to be more like a print out of the entire CAT Software system with all the dealer tips and diag , drawings etc . It got the job done but I am still in search of an affordable manual if anyone has one they want to sell.

Happy to share the down load I got but at over 200 MB bit hard to upload here so send me a message with your email address and I will send it out

John Holmess

I am also Looking for a Service and repair manual for CAT 535C. I searched many sites but there are different prices on every website. Like this https://proworkshopmanuals.com/product-category/heavy-machinery/caterpillar/
They are giving a manual of $99.99 but on other sites, it cost $129.99, and on some sites its $69.99 on which one I can trust. I purchased a repair manual for my BMW and they sent it on time.
Suggestion needed.

Regards

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
To be honest at that price it's a lottery. An OEM Parts Manual will cost a similar price to that, let alone a Service Manual.
There have been comments posted on HEF regarding some of the manuals sold on internet sites as being sub-standard in terms of quality but I have no idea if the site you linked to was one of those.

For information a genuine OEM service manual for your machine is priced between $650-750 depending on the Serial Number prefix. That price is for a CD, in paper form they are North of $1,000 a copy. That is from the Service Manual Pro web site linked in Post #7 above.

Have you asked your Cat dealer for a price.?

Tyler d4c

Call me weird al but like alot of our stuff we are um cheep. But I buy them on eBay. Theres a guy up in Massachusetts first name is I've also got one from his name is eluding me atm.

Tyler d4c

Noge it sure seems that way I always try to check that they are cheaper then new but sometimes in a hurry its the ticket.