• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where Can I rent an excavator with a timber Ax or brush hog

itsgottobegreen

just got one of those really weird jobs handed to me.

There is an alley way between a building and a retaining wall. Its a 10-12' drop from the top if the retaining wall to the ground. Then the alley way is 20 wide. Its about 120-135' long. Its completely filled with 25-30' tall trees that are 4-8" across.

My only idea is an excavator with a timber ax, bursh hog, grinder or something.

Anybody got an idea of where I could rent one of these around the DC area. Or is interested in subbing out the work. :yup I

Also anybody got an idea of what it would cost to rent one for the day???

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
Is there enough room to knock the trees down with an excavator and a thumb, buck them up with a chain saw and then load them out with the hoe.:bash

itsgottobegreen

Well Looking at it, I would say I could buck the trees. But there is no place to drop them. Plus the brush thats in there is horriorable. Plus a lot of trash, (its down town DC in a semi bad area) A hoe with a thumb was an idea. But there is not enought room to lift the brush out and feed into a chipper. So this is really my only option. Except put a timber ax on my skid loader and have some lift it up and into the alley. But I am not really up for doing that. The excavator is my only real idea, because its the only thing that can reach down into the alley and get everything.

I told him to get 25 gallons of gas and light a match. But there is a fire house across the street. GRRRRRRRr At least the buildings are 100% concrete.

I am thinking about walking away from it. But making $6000 or more is keeping me from walking. :thumbsup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Plus a lot of trash, (its down town DC in a semi bad area)

Are you sure a brush hog or timber ax would be safe to use in an urban area like that, especially if you might be flinging unseen trash around the neighborhood?

dr501

Occupation
operator
a fecon style is the best ana x is dangeres when the cops come a knocken cause ya hit there cars lol

joispoi

Is it accessible to a bucket truck? Maybe you should hire a tree company to do some or all of the work.

Turbo21835

I would say you grab the top of the tree with your thumb/bucket. Have a guy down there cut her loose, and you drag it up. I think thats going to be the fastest way.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Is it accessible to a bucket truck? Maybe you should hire a tree company to do some or all of the work.

I second the bucket truck/tree service company idea. Do you have to grubb the stumps and roots? What do they want for the finished product?

HeyUvaVT

to answer your original question...it will be between 1500-2000 to rent one for the day....its almost 1000 to rent a skid steer with one so i am guestimating that price