• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are the Mechanics?

Fatjay

It's possible, but you have to sell them on it. You might start in parts, mechanics will come to you for stuff and it will familiarize you, then work up from there. You are a piece of meat and you have to convince them they're carnivores. They have to believe you are able to be taught to take the time to try to train you.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Look around for a small trucking or construction company that needs an additional mechanic. Pay won't be as good but you wont be expected to know everything and won't be expected to have 30k worth of tools. Be willing to learn and keep a good attitude when your greasy up to your armpits and you'll be fine.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Instead of getting a tool allowance ask them for a List of the things they
want you to bring in as far as tools go....and they supply Everything else. ...no Really.
Have them hand it to you in writing and don't take the tool allowance.
Drop light creeper batteries tooling is not on there. ...guess what?

JD955SC

I live in NW Louisiana and have been considering becoming a diesel mechanic. Any thoughts on it? Is it a good career? Is the pay decent? I'm a dump truck driver and it's decent money but just not a career. I have no experience in diesel mechanics and wondering how a guy like me could get started.

Look at Cat's Think Big program, or John Deere has a similar program. Hired by the dealership, you go to school, and in between semesters they work you in the shop and pay you. You gain experience and learn a lot.

While it's oriented towards recent high school graduates older folks can get in, I'm 26 and just started the Think Big program myself. http://www.caterpillar.com/en/caree...n/thinkbig-technicianeducation/locations.html

lantraxco

Instead of getting a tool allowance ask them for a List of the things they
want you to bring in as far as tools go....and they supply Everything else. ...no Really.
Have them hand it to you in writing and don't take the tool allowance.
Drop light creeper batteries tooling is not on there. ...guess what?

That's a hell of an idea, wish I had thought of that, back when I did turn wrenches for a paycheck. :notworthy

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
The reason good mechanics are "hard to find" is the payscale. Pay em what they're worth and you'll find plenty. A cheap mechanic that makes a mistake and costs you a $37,000 drive motor by getting dirt in a hose wasn't really worth that low wage now, was He?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The reason good mechanics are "hard to find" is the payscale. Pay em what they're worth and you'll find plenty. A cheap mechanic that makes a mistake and costs you a $37,000 drive motor by getting dirt in a hose wasn't really worth that low wage now, was He?

I can remember being asked why I "was spending so much time cleaning things, they're just going to get dirty again?" And just this last December I pointed out to my boss that every wiper on the hyd. cylinders of our John Deere 710 back hoe was literally falling apart. Got the we'll get to it later. Well I'm going to be retired the end of April and there is no one else doing maintenance or repairs at the quarry other than me getting some help a couple days out of the last year so we all know those cylinders will be fixed, Right?

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
kshansen, No they won't get fixed, and the dirt will eat the glands, and the $400 repair will be $1800 (each)

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I was looking at a local paper a few weeks back. A local garbage dump owned by one of the national garbage companies was advertising for a heavy equipment mechanic with a minimum 6 years experience pay $21/hr plus beni's. In the same add they were looking for an experienced heavy equipment operator pay $24/hr plus beni's. My experience tells me they will get more than a dozen operator applications and probably zero mechanic applications! A company i worked (subbed) for last year advertised for 6 operators and got endless applications at a pay of mid $20's and 1 heavy equipment mechanic at mid $20's and got 2 applications. The first guy was hired and had enough experience to grease the equipment and change some filters. He quit after a few weeks, the next guy was capable of the same job. They were gracious laborers for me as i did all diagnostics and most all equipment repairs. The mechanics in this region will need to be paid in the mid 30's plus beni's to find qualified guys........TIO

Old Doug

kshansen, No they won't get fixed, and the dirt will eat the glands, and the $400 repair will be $1800 (each)

Do you guys think that this will even matter to this company? I have seen this happen so much that i think they need to waste money to stay in buissness.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

And that's just the damage to the cylinders, how about the cost of the hydraulic pump?

They are much more worried about man hours than dollars. It's okay to pay $1,000 for a pump I could have bought for $500, but ask to work a few hours OT and they scream!

Last edited:

JD955SC

I was looking at a local paper a few weeks back. A local garbage dump owned by one of the national garbage companies was advertising for a heavy equipment mechanic with a minimum 6 years experience pay $21/hr plus beni's. In the same add they were looking for an experienced heavy equipment operator pay $24/hr plus beni's. My experience tells me they will get more than a dozen operator applications and probably zero mechanic applications! A company i worked (subbed) for last year advertised for 6 operators and got endless applications at a pay of mid $20's and 1 heavy equipment mechanic at mid $20's and got 2 applications. The first guy was hired and had enough experience to grease the equipment and change some filters. He quit after a few weeks, the next guy was capable of the same job. They were gracious laborers for me as i did all diagnostics and most all equipment repairs. The mechanics in this region will need to be paid in the mid 30's plus beni's to find qualified guys........TIO

Waste Management was advertising mechanic positions in this area with a $1500 sign on bonus. I have no idea on the official pay scale, but Google says WM mechanics earn around $20/hr.

Climbing around under nasty ass garbage trucks all day is going to have to come with a lot more than a $1500 bonus and that price. Right now I work on the occasional landfill machine, but to deal with that nastiness every day, it's going to have to be a lot more attractive paywise and/or my last option.

Last edited:

FSERVICE

I know the ex shop foreman for WM & he wasn't making that kind of money a hour that's why he left the Louisville shop!!!

Old Doug

I know the ex shop foreman for WM & he wasn't making that kind of money a hour that's why he left the Louisville shop!!!

It may be one of those places were they say you can work your way up to 20.00 but you never do. The WM trucks i have seen around here are ruff looking and only get washed by the rain.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I started wrenching for a major waste company in the northeast, not wm. think they started me at 13/hr. worked for two and a half years and left in 2012 making 14.50. certainly wasn't getting rich but the perks were decent. Good insurance, $1000/yr tool allowance, boot allowance, quarterly safety and production bonuses, end of year bonuses, got to make my own hours, could bring my dog to work, they didn't care if I did side work, and the boss was in an office about a quarter mile away and he didn't visit regularly. I left to work for a stealership and get more experience and better pay. the other mechanic has about 10 years there now and he told me he's only making $15.50 an hour. they have a policy of giving 2% raises every year and wonder why they cant keep employees. The job was good, the pay was a joke.

pburress

Occupation
field service technician
I started wrenching for a major waste company in the northeast, not wm. think they started me at 13/hr. worked for two and a half years and left in 2012 making 14.50. certainly wasn't getting rich but the perks were decent. Good insurance, $1000/yr tool allowance, boot allowance, quarterly safety and production bonuses, end of year bonuses, got to make my own hours, could bring my dog to work, they didn't care if I did side work, and the boss was in an office about a quarter mile away and he didn't visit regularly. I left to work for a stealership and get more experience and better pay. the other mechanic has about 10 years there now and he told me he's only making $15.50 an hour. they have a policy of giving 2% raises every year and wonder why they cant keep employees. The job was good, the pay was a joke.

Just like every other job in America...work your ass off for little pay!

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
I am a Truck/Equipment Mechanic for my county's highway department. When I started, it took 2 1/2 years to get to the top of the pay scale. Shortly after I started, the pay scale was restructured so that it now takes 10 years to get to the top of the pay scale (same pay range, only more small pay increase steps). In our shop, we usually have a laborer come in every day to assist with minor tasks, parts chasing, oil changes, tire repairs, etc. It's always a laborer who is already at the top of the pay scale. This being said, a laborer doing oil changes makes around $3.00 more than me per hour only because he has the "years of service" under his belt!! This really pisses me off, but the Highway Commisioner says he can't do anything to correct this. Pay the MECHANIC more money than the lube tech!!! Time to look for another employer!!

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
Yea, perhaps I should talk to HR about it. I really like my workplace, and don't really want to relocate. However, I can't be taken advantage of...

JD955SC

Yea, perhaps I should talk to HR about it. I really like my workplace, and don't really want to relocate. However, I can't be taken advantage of...

HR will probably whine and want to know how you found out the lube dude is making more money

I can tell you that one of the factors in pushing me to leave the last job was a similar situation, and yes, it was a .gov job that I left.